Data store

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

phao
Grandmaster Poster

Data store

Post by phao »

i doubt i'm the first to post those things, but i was reading in the text, speaking about what is planned to change in 098, and it seems that POL has a problem when it comes to storing data.

You could just use those famous database by there, there are some free ones, like postgresql, firebird, and there are more, i just don't know many of them.

Databases read information fast, as far as I know very fast, they're designed for that (i think). So maybe it's a good ideia.

I think you could embed a database and just make functions to read and apply sql codes.

I think it'd be a HUGE change, and maybe can help this issue about data management.
ncrsn
Grandmaster Poster

Post by ncrsn »

Have you tried using datafiles?

They are really easy to use, practical and almost as fast as config files (= fast).

I quess one might even create a datafile based database system; flatfile as that might be; and use it like any existing 'real' database.

When it comes to the idea you suggested, being able to use database via POL, yes, that would be nice thing to have. But because of current datafile support I don't see this as important as you might.

Edit:
* I think I partially misunderstood your post: you were suggesting that POL would internally use database instead of the way it is handling data now?

If so, I really have no reason to comment as it's up to the devs. As long as using external database to save data would remain optional.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

I think MuadDib was thinking along the lines of optionally using external databases for storing some data. He has had some experience with WoW servers and databases and knows how it would work.
So we will see if it's both practical and if he has time when he returns.
Sadahar
Adept Poster

Post by Sadahar »

I think pol devs could add SQL functions, you can choose: the traditional pol data files, or a database, interacted with sql functions.

I think it wold be great, and faster to manage in really big databases...