POL and UO:KR

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Flea
New User

POL and UO:KR

Post by Flea »

What is the position of the Dev Team of POL as to this "new" UO ? I mean, are you guys planing on support it ?

I know it's too soon to make such questions seeing that UO:KR is still at alpha but from what they are saying it'll be launched this year so i think it's something to discuss.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

POL still doesn't fully support AoS and ML.

At least as far as having the NPCs scripted and the data files setup for the alternate realms. So I'd say it's way too soon to even think about UO:KR.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

UO:KR is fully supported by POL already, to a degree.

How? The old clients will be fully supported by OSI until the 2nd expansion after UO:KR, which means it's backwards compatible. :)

Oh, they are adding the Gargoyle race too.
BuDDha
New User

Post by BuDDha »

glad to hear that you will support UOKR client :D

it is mean that you must concentrate about your project, because many peoples comme back to UO game with new client and... here is the news - that RunUO will not support UOKR at all (because they respect EA and bla bla bla) , it is mean that many devs comme back to POL's scripts
mr bubbles
Grandmaster Poster

Post by mr bubbles »

does runuo not supporting uo:kr mean it won't work on runuo? I doubt it won't, and im sure lots of people will just use the client on runuo servers :/
BoMbY
New User

Post by BoMbY »

Well: Concerning to the RunUO-Forum it looks like OSI had split the map0.mul into two parts map0.mul (felucca) and map1.mul (trammel) as of new (uo:kr) client version 6.0.0.0 - so you'll very likely need a slight change to the core to support this.

And hopefully there will be no problems with the (disabling of the) encryption in the new (3d-)client ...

Regards,
BoMbY
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

MuadDib wrote:UO:KR is fully supported by POL already, to a degree.

How? The old clients will be fully supported by OSI until the 2nd expansion after UO:KR, which means it's backwards compatible.
I think that is sadly wrong. The old client files will sure be supported, but UO KR comes with a complete new file format. Since the KR Beta is open now, i took a glimpse at the installation. There are no .mul files any more, it even exists no login.cfg. EA makes any freeshard life harder :)
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Yeah, we;ve already looked into it and all. That comment was made before any of that was even known :P
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

*shakes head*
Voicer
Neophyte Poster

Post by Voicer »

so, you say it can't be done? ;)
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Sure it could probably be done... Its just gotta be done a different way.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

I'm saying, don't expect me to be the one to add it.
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

But does somebody take a look into it, or did you make the same as RunUO: We don't support KR. I hope not. Cause all Pol Admins can't do anything now. Exept hoping you continue. I myself tried to discover the new files. But if Pol will stop, my work is senseless. So it's interessting to know what the POL devs think :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Chances are POL will support it but I imagine the dev team is probably disgusted with EA as most of us are. I would understand however if they threw up their hands in frustration.
Rimmon
New User

Post by Rimmon »

I know one shard, that is currently modifying RunUO sources to support UO KR. They are promising to start their KR server this week.

So if this happens, alternative RunUO modifications may beat POL's functionality and become more popular.

So I think it is better to add UO:KR support to POL.
Xenawar
New User

Post by Xenawar »

Everybody's acting like EA owes us something here. It's their game and they have every right to change it however they want. They will probably be happy to see lots of emulator shards die because of uokr and I don't think they care if you are disgusted with them because of it.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Xenawar wrote:
Everybody's acting like EA owes us something here. It's their game and they have every right to change it however they want. They will probably be happy to see lots of emulator shards die because of uokr and I don't think they care if you are disgusted with them because of it.
*scratches head*
I don't recall anyone saying that EA should care a rats petunia about emus and "free shards". The truth of the matter is that for a long time there has been a need for an independant client that could divorce those of us who wish to from EA. The talent is there to create a basic 2D client that emulates what the "official" client does and better.

The issue here is not whether EA games has the right to do whatever with UO. The issue is whether the POL developers feel like attempting to keep up with EA. Apparently the official RunUO "people" aren't.

The question I suppose we should be asking, and believe me I am loathe to ask it, is "Is this the handwriting on the wall?" What I mean is this: Is it time to say it's over? Let's face it the whole issue of KR might mean a complete rewrite of the POL server. The POLitburo would know better than I if this is the case but if it is then it may not be worth it.

Rimmon wrote:
I know one shard, that is currently modifying RunUO sources to support UO KR. They are promising to start their KR server this week.

So if this happens, alternative RunUO modifications may beat POL's functionality and become more popular.
Rimmon, this may be news to some people but RunUO is more functional and more popular than POL, atleast in emulating OSI/EA. POL is more flexible and definitely more versatile but RunUO caught on while POL languered waiting between version 0.95 and 0.96. Plus RunUO is C based and C is "the" language of the day. It is sad but it is true. POL has a lot of catching up to do if it can ever catch-up. Don't get me wrong, I like POL but things are the way they are.

Anyway, I've said my piece for now.
Rimmon
New User

Post by Rimmon »

Dear POL developers, could you be so kind and describe us your strategy about UO:KR? :)
Is it makes sense to wait KR support?
SiENcE
New User

take a look into uo:kr

Post by SiENcE »

Duskman
New User

Post by Duskman »

Any news in supporting KR by POL?

Take a look anyway: http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=150
blkwr
New User

Post by blkwr »

Duskman wrote:Any news in supporting KR by POL?

In this news Aaron Cohen don't talk about unofficial uo shard..

UO:KR contains a client that is protected by an international license (i don't remember now..) that not allows anyone to modify the client encryption..

Nowadays is not so legal modify the client encryption :\ for this reason RunUO devs don't upgrade their emu to UO:KR

(i hope that i write all correctly ^^" )
runtest
Grandmaster Poster

Post by runtest »

I know me personally at lonewolf is about racking my head now. Their setup is completely changed.
Duskman
New User

Post by Duskman »

blkwr wrote:
Duskman wrote:Any news in supporting KR by POL?

In this news Aaron Cohen don't talk about unofficial uo shard..

UO:KR contains a client that is protected by an international license (i don't remember now..) that not allows anyone to modify the client encryption..

Nowadays is not so legal modify the client encryption :\ for this reason RunUO devs don't upgrade their emu to UO:KR

(i hope that i write all correctly ^^" )
I know that he talks about offical servers, but freeshard never was legal. And KR doesn't change anything. It could change only technical things, like encryption how did you say. But i think that it is depending only on will of POL development. Could anyone of them tell anything.. oficial?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Find the official thread on these forums about UOKR support...... give us time, our time IS limited, but it IS being worked on to support the newest official clients (and someone has already found a way to decrypt it).
Justae
Expert Poster

POL097RC4 & KR login support

Post by Justae »

Shinigami posted information here :

http://forums.polserver.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=15

Regards
Justae
The Forgotten Realm - South Africa