3D client to disappeasr?

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

3D client to disappeasr?

Post by Yukiko »

The other day, while patching up a new UO install, I saw that EA is scrapping the 3D client atleast temporarily or atleast the message appeared to say that.

The message "3D client going away" showed up in the UO news that EA places in the patch window. From what I read the 3D client is giving them problems with Kingdom Reborn and they are removing it from the mix. The article seemed to indicate that they might release a new 3d client at a later date but it was vague at best if that was a certainty.

Anyone else see this or was I imagining things?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

You are imagining things. Sorta.

Third Dawn client is going away, forever. Kingdom Reborn is the replacement for 2d, and 3d both basically. They don't care about the failed Third Dawn client, cuz it has always sucked :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Any idea what this means for those of us with cutom graphics in our 2D gumpart and art tiles?

Is KR a wholly 3D client?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

KR is a complete new client, complete new art, complete new files, new engine, new everything.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

They don't want to continue developing 3 clients. So they are dropping 3D for now and going on with just 2D and KR for now. The ultimate goal is to encourage people to use KR in the future so they can also drop development for 2D but they said this probably wont happen fast. It all depends on the popularity of the clients.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

OK so let me see if I understand what this means for those of us with custom graphics/map/skill files...

Our files will no longer work with KR. Since UO is a copyrighted product it will be illegal for us to provide Mondain's Legacy for our players to download. Therefore we are going to be forced to using whatever EA has provided in the graphics of KR. Now if this brand new version of UO also contains changes to the way the map muls are formatted then those with custom maps are left out in the cold as well.

Now, I understand that UO is the property of EA and that means we are at their mercy but if the above be true then most of the really good free shards will be out of business or be forced to do some fast rework of their systems.

If this isn't a reason to get behind an independant non-EA client then I don't know what is.

If EA screws us over, and they really shouldn't care if they do cause they are in this for the money, then I will probably shut down my shard such as it is and bid y'all a fond farewell.

Will someone PLEASE start developing a good configurable 2D client? I'll donate to the cause when I can.
mr bubbles
Grandmaster Poster

Post by mr bubbles »

Just a question. What's wrong with the 2d client at the moment? Is it not in a complete enough state to continue to use if the 2d client is eventually scrapped?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Nothing is wrong with it as it is but when KR comes out and people patch up to or purchase it and if the client files in KR are formatted differently than those currently in use then people who have custom maps and graphics files won't be able to usde those files with the new KR client.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

They said it would be a year at least until they start pondering when to scrap the 2D client so you have at least a little time left. They aren't going to release KR then suddenly a month later scrap 2D.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'm not sure what to believe when it comes to EA. I remember when they said that Samurai Empire was the very last update they were going to do to UO. The word was that they were going to let it die because as I understood it there was another game they were developing. Now we are into the second major upgrade, if you can call Mondain's Legacy a major upgrade, of Ultima Online since SE.

Well, either way I guess we'll see what we'll see.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Ya but 2D is a lot more popular than 3D and those on 3D are likely to use KR. I'm sure at this point they would like to not piss off their players on OSI itself.
Barbeirosa

Post by Barbeirosa »

The Sky is Falling!

:lol:
tartaros
New User

Post by tartaros »

I suggest stopping panicking until the client is actually out.
MuadDib wrote:KR is a complete new client, complete new art, complete new files, new engine, new everything.
I believe the network protocol will stay more or less the same, so it's not "everything" ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I have little worries about the network protocol.

It's the internal file structure that I am concerned about.

But we'll see what happens. Like we have any other option.
SiENcE
New User

Post by SiENcE »

Iris2 has a 2D-Renderer plugin. So you are able to play 2D or 3D (including inGame switching of the renderers :-).

2D is far from perfect but on it's way.

So you might support the Iris2 project and submit feature requests, bugs, 3D Models, Textures and Ideas.

UO:KR uses the Gamebryo gameengine. It's the Gameengine Oblivion uses but i think they modified it a lot to render a 3D world from iso-perspective.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Kinda old news but the official OSI 3D client gets discontinued in tomorrow's patch.