nFz
Neophyte Poster

Hello, New world in the making

Post by nFz »

Hey all,

Edit:

Moved to discord

https://discord.gg/xAnkDpsNqS

Wont be updating this anymore as the discord is up and running. Feel free to drop by.

Edit: I will with time keep updating and posting screenshots of the new world as it unravels itself.

Long time player here on POL servers, and just wanted to drop by and say hi and show you a little preview of a big project im currently working on. It started in 2009 and due to medschool it was postponed quiet a few years. Now when im older and settled down its a big hobby of mine with support of my better half.
I decided on POL as im used to it, compared to sphere and servuo (osi copy) and im currently in the phase of learning the script language. Heard alot of good things of POL when it comes to stability and flexibility.

Below is a preview of the custom world thats made, some elements from other games like Path of Exile - Shapers realm has been taken into consideration and added. Altitude is done and the building of cities is currently the next step.

This started as a project for friends and family, but im thinking of taking it public and later hire a scripter/developer. Time will tell.

https://imgur.com/a/LMzCFGb

Edit: Cant get the pic to show here, says it cant determine the size?
Last edited by nFz on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nando
POL Developer

Re: Hello, New world in the making

Post by Nando »

Welcome! The map does look quite neat. It would be great to see it in action.

Are you already hanging with us on Discord?
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Not yet, ill make sure to join! And thank you, it looks amazing ingame so far, since im a detail-addict.
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Hey all!

A small update, had to get UOAR to work properly, which it does now. Im currently building the cities and here is a small teaser!

Snow continent:
For ages the fortified <snowtown> has been at war with the barbarian tribe of the north. Rumors are their leaders, 3 of them, are of an ancient barbarian bloodline and rest atop a cold peak..

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Looks like you are off to a great start. :)
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Update:

Hey all,

Been a busy summer, hope you all are doing well. down below is another screenshot of the town hidden in the snow thats really taking a beating from the northen barbarian tribe. The majority of the town is not damaged, as of yet. And im currently just working with UOAR, all details will be added with Centred+ later when the skeleton is done.

And another one, rumors are the stable in the north sell Snow Ostards and Steeds.

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Looks like you are making good progress. Map building is such a tedious process. :)
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

It sure is! I usually go in with the right feeling else i just do something else or play any other game untill i get into the mood. Rushing a big project like this does not bode well for the end result. Tho its still alot of fun and im enjoying it alot!

What really does the trick for me is when i did the terrain i had every town-theme already planned out, PK town over water near the desert, the high fancy town of mages, the 3 different districts ruled by an emperor of the sand (good guy) the northen fortified town constantly in war with the barbarian tribe and so on. Going into a town without a theme is not recommended at all.
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Another update, this time its the snowtowns outpost close to the barbarian tribe, hence a unguarded area so PKs are also allowed in here! There might be some fighting outside/inside this area as the barbarians roam just outside the walls.

This is all made before any detail work.

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

That was designed with UO Architect I gather. It looks like you are making good progress.
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Yeah it was, i find it much faster to make the skeletons of everything i make in it. If there are any more advanced designed buildings ill make them from scratch in Centred+, which will be used to polish everything when this part is done.

And thank you, the more i create the better future-guide!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yes. I am definitely looking forward to the guide :)
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Heya,

So its been about a month since the last update. Been working on alot of parts on the world and its all progressing really well. Got time for another small update below.
This is on a snow island between the mainland where the barbarian tribe have established a big outpost, and keep challenging the local town and its inhabitants.
The island was inhabitet by a famous necromancer which made it its home. The barbarian wanted ofcourse to use this as a small outpost for supplies on the journey between their home and the mainland, but didnt have enough power to defeat the necromancer who now resides on the top floor, completley insane from the dark arts.

nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Update:

Hey all,
Just a small update this time, after several months away. We had our baby boy in november and running a company, caring for a family did pause the creation of the new world. This have settled and i'll be coming back to the creation once again.

Best regards, M
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Congrats for the baby! ;)
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Long time No see.

Still working on the new map, more than ever. Posting a brief step by step below.

1. Map building (Terrain and Altitude) - DONE
2. Skeleton (Towns, Outposts etc, semi details) - WIP (Doing it in UO Architecht extended)
3. LIVE TEST STAGE (for skeleton only, planning on opening to public for those who wants to check it out) Start of more detailed work with CentrED+.
4. Basics done - apply scriptbase and enter Alpha.

Best regards, M
strobelartesao
New User

Post by strobelartesao »

I would love to test it and check it out

Congrats for the baby! I'm an entrepreneur myself and got a baby boy 2th may!
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Im glad to hear! I’ll announce here when the skeleton is up and running!

Congratz on your baby!
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Short update.
Still on stage 2, building the skeleton/foundation. Did some major changes in my company which freed up even more time.

Cities left: 4

After that ill probably move on to centrED while having it live.

Note:
As i have scripts for 095 which i need to convert to 100 it Will be live with a distro for checking out the map.
Learning to script is coming along fine and i also found someone for lessons.

Regards, M
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Nice work, looking forward to a guide for uo architect. I could never figure it out.

I have to say I'm envious, wish I had time to do map work, I really enjoyed doing it before I started scripting for the shard I'm working on now.
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

ThisIsMe wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:34 am Nice work, looking forward to a guide for uo architect. I could never figure it out.

I have to say I'm envious, wish I had time to do map work, I really enjoyed doing it before I started scripting for the shard I'm working on now.
Looking forward to making a complete guide of mapmaking, the way im doing it. Imo so far its going smooth and the world is really growing, cant wait to get into CentrED where the real magic happens.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Looking forward to making a complete guide of mapmaking, the way im doing it. Imo so far its going smooth and the world is really growing, cant wait to get into CentrED where the real magic happens.
Promises, promises... :D
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Hehe, the guide will apparently be launched sooner than later.

Currently really bottlenecked by UO Architect and cant wait to redo this in CentrED+. But as stated before i really find using UOAR a good way to lay your foundation of buildings and where to place them, as the building process is fast. Also to clean away the flowers in the floor etc. Cant wait!
nFz
Neophyte Poster

Post by nFz »

Short update, been putting several hours a day into this now.

Towns left: 1

Decided to go over to CentrED earlier than planned, due to bottlenecking in UOAR with the choices. Working on the last town. Things are going great, will set up POL100 with distro for live testing when the last town is done.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Great to hear you're almost done with the map. :)