Boat Movment

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 096.
Note: Core 096 is no longer officially supported.

Moderator: POL Developer

Turley
POL Developer

Boat Movment

Post by Turley »

When you travel with a boat with more then one character on the boat the name of the characters apears over the head every single move of the boat.

I know that in runuo this is not happening.
Is there a way to fix this without changing the client options?
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

there may be some sort of delay between moving the multi and the items/characters which are on deck, MuadDib or some other Pol dev should look for that.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

That is due to the movement yes. On OSI I know the crap still happens also (and speech is impossible to read!).

If I get time, I will look into how the core is moving the mobs, and see if there is an alternate method to keep names/speech more readable and less spam on them.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

On OSI also?! Damn!
Maybe the Core of RunUO can tell you why this is not happening, my C knowledge isnt that high.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

It is due to the packets used is all. 10 seconds of packet logging and I'll know the difference :wink:
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

MuadDib will you fi it for 096 or do we have to wait until 097 for this ?
Xadhoom
Neophyte Poster

Post by Xadhoom »

On our POL this don't happen... don't know why... :lol:
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

It will be on 097 at the earliest.

096 Will be final in *checks watch* a matter of time "today".

We will be releasing subversions of released cores from here on out also too for bugfixes (YAY) while we work on new features and such in betas. But this is more of a feature request, than bug fix, so will probably keep it limited to the next beta core ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Maud is there some way a hook might work as an interim until 97 is released with the fix?

I know this has been an irritant for me from when I used to actually have more time to play UO.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Who knows. RIght now I won't have time to look into it, but it may be a simple script issue even. Or client version issue. If I don't get the time soon, maybe someone else can step up to the plate to help figure why some have the problem, and other's don't.

Last time I used a boat on OSI (recently), the moving was ugly (chars looked like they walked), but names didn't spam. So may just be a simple issue with scripts. Maybe those without the prob, can share? :)
Xadhoom
Neophyte Poster

Post by Xadhoom »

We do nothing strange... Simply when the ship is moving the script is in loop waiting for other events and doing
MoveBoatRelative( boat, relative_direction );
That's all, and we don't have flashing names :?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

There is or was a setting in the client options menu that allowed you to select whether to show names of approaching characters. Turning that off accomplishes the desired effect on a boat but if you want to see names later when not sailing you have to go back and turn it back on.

Not my favourite choice.
Xadhoom
Neophyte Poster

Post by Xadhoom »

But with that options you can neither see sea monsters or players on another boat approaching.
Maybe it's because we use one of the latest client...
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yep. That's why I don't like that option.
*smiles*
Pachacuti
Apprentice Poster

Re: Boat Movment

Post by Pachacuti »

*An Corp*

I know this thread is insanely old, but is there any chance we can adapt the new High Seas smooth boat movement to POL? If yes, does it need heavy core editing?

Again, sorry for the huge thread resurrection.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Boat Movment

Post by Tomi »

Yes the HSA smooth boat movement will be implemented, and Im not sure how much work it should require and Im not sure when it will be added or who will add it, but before that can be implemented we need to get even the HSA graphic changes and multis and such working so there is even a chance to look at it, so answer to your other question is yes because it need alot core editing even before can start to look at it.

And for clients older than HSA we should really need to check the RunUO and run some packetlogging to see how they have manage to fix the laggy movement with speech and everything working.