Hail and well met!

Tell us who you are, share your projects, show us something amazing
Nozgo
New User

Hail and well met!

Post by Nozgo »

Hail Peeps!,
Just checking out POL for the first time. I was a long time RunUO guy, and had a few homebrew shards running for the fam back in the day. Watching it go away was sad for me. Been a few years since I have tried, but the kids are getting older and they want me to set an LBR shard up for them and their friends to play on. So, I registered with ServeUO, and here. I have the oldest in Uni for coding and he is gonna give me a hand setting one up. We are gonna be checking out which is easiest to get the old school feel and weapon properties working on. It doesn't have to be "Era-perfect", but just close enough will be fine. No new crapola, just pre-AOS. Anyone try something similar that can tell me which would be easiest/fastest? I know it will take time, I just want to waste as little as possible.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Hail and well met!

Post by Yukiko »

Hail!
I have been involved with POL for over 12 years. I am going to brutally honest. In general, between POL and ServUO, ServUO is the easiest to get up and running from download to running server. I do not know about configuring it for a specific UO expansion.

Now if that didn't send you running to start a ServUO shard let me say I think POL is more flexible and versatile than ServUO. eScript, the language the scripts are written in, is easier to understand and learn than C#, the language ServUO uses for its scripting language. POL has extensive documentation of the functions and objects you need to write effective scripts. The Classic Distro is probably the version you will want to use for an LBR shard. Go get the POL Configurator which can be found in the POL Tools forum and that will allow you to easily configure POL prior to running it. You should be able to have POL up and running in about 20 minutes.

If you need any help feel free to ask.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I should add that even though the Classic Distro is written to be Time of Legends compliant it does not have any of the new stuff past AoS added. It does have some of the new mounts but that is about it. No ninja NPCs or items from the newer expansions. It is "compliant" only in so far as it works with the latest client.
Nozgo
New User

Post by Nozgo »

Yukiko,
Actually, this sounds VERY promising. I do not have any plans on getting "fancy" with scripting. Between me and my 3 sons, we should be able to figure this out. I will be searching the forums and downloading fairly soon. Thank you for your reply!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thank you for looking at POL as a choice for an emulator. POL was, in my never so humble opinion, the premier UO emulator for a long time. It fell behind as RunUO took on steam but in recent months we have been striving to bring it current with at least Age of Shadows or whatever the expansion was before High Seas. My memory of which was what is fuzzy. Anyway, it should fit your needs.