An update on my progress with the Distro upgrade.

Discussion about the development of POL's official distribution scripts.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

An update on my progress with the Distro upgrade.

Post by Yukiko »

It has been a while since I posted an update. I have done quite a bit and I will attempt to list some of the things but it is definitely not a complete list.
Added the crafting system from the 098 Distro.
Added carpentry to the new crafting system.
Added tinkering...
Added bowcraft...
Added cooking...
Added blacksmithy...
Added tailoring but still needs some work.
Added inscription...
Added containers pkg from ThisIsMe's shard.
Added lighting pkg from ThisIsMe's shard.
Added a new keys pkg (I think that came from ThisIsMe as well).
Added a new containers/storage area pkg from ThisIsMe.
Added the evil home decor items.
Added the rustic theme pack.
Added the shadow theme pack.
Added the Gothic theme pack.
Added Tokuno furniture pkg.
Added curtains, Elven furniture, decorate weapons, tapestry, and more.
Added a lot of other new items.
Upgraded the control pkg to the 098 Distro version.
Upgraded the cartography skill to enable mapping all of the facets (realms).

There have been many rabbit holes I have gone down to integrate everything. Many times this required me to adapt and improve upon what is already present, and in some cases, scrap one pkg in favour of a new pkg which involved more rabbit hole excursions.

At one point I was so frustrated I was going to abandon this whole idea because there were so many problems but I kept trudging on. Now I think I can see a pin point of light if I look down the tunnel and squint my eyes. :)

I just finished the cartography upgrade and I wanted to post images of the maps but I decided to post links to the images rather than wrestling with the limitations of image size imposed by our forums.

So here are the links:
Felucca
You will notice the map looks squished horizontally. This is because Felucca is wider than it is tall. I was unable to get the map gump to allow a proportional scaling of the image. Apparently it wants height and width of the map to be the same number of pixels. If anyone has overcome this issue I would appreciate it if you would tell me how to get a proportional display.
I did not create an image for Trammel as it is a copy of Felucca.

Ilshenar
Malas
Tokuno
Termur
Various local and regional maps
The local maps are the smaller gumps.

Anyway, that is what I have been up to and roughly where I am in this, longer than I had hoped for, upgrade.

I want to thank ThisIsMe for his help and for providing his packages and items, Austin for all of the work he put into the 097 and 098 Distros from which I have borrowed much, MuadDib for his work on the crafting system and anyone else I may have forgotten to mention.

Hopefully I will get this done reasonably soon. I have other POL related projects I want to work on.

I would not have even posted this if I didn't feel optimistic.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Re: An update on my progress with the Distro upgrade.

Post by DevGIB »

cool update. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Once i get done with the core changes for the new item mods i'll have to investigate implementing it into all this crafting :P
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

You can't adjust the map.gumpheight and map.gumpwidth to overcome the non square map?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I tried to adjust the width to the proportion of the map but what I got was the map displayed as a square with the tan scroll gump extending down below the map image. I will post some images so you can see the results.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

The map dimensionsof Felucca and Trammel for cartography are 5099 squares wide by 4095 high. The dungeon area is not included in a cartographer's map. So I clipped off a little of the ocean near to the dungeon area as well as the dungeon area. Using those numbers the ratio of width to height is 1.245. Rounding that up it's 1.25. Using that ratio with a width of 800 the height is 640. Those are the numbers I used for the gump size for the map definition.

Code: Select all

Elem Map of Felucca
{
        XWest           0
        YNorth          0
        XEast           5099
        YSouth          4095
	GumpWidth       800
	GumpHeight      640
}
This is the result of those dimensions when I created the map:
Felucca_set_to_800_wide_X_640_high

I thought maybe somehow the Core was sending the dimensions backwards, ie. sending GumpWidth as GumpHeight and GumpHeight as GumpWidth. So I switched the numbers.

Code: Select all

Elem Map of Felucca
{
        XWest           0
        YNorth          0
        XEast           5099
        YSouth          4095
	GumpWidth       640
	GumpHeight      800
}
And this was the resulting map gump:
Felucca_set_to_640_wide_X_800_high

It seems the Core is sending the correct gump height and width.

I do not know if this is a limitation of the client, that it needs a 1:1 ratio for map dimensions or if the Core is somehow not sending the proper information to the client. I have to test this on another emulator, more than likely ServUO. However, if I get the same results it could be that they do not bother with trying to display the maps properly or that they have the same issue. I am very limited in my knowledge of their server file layout or C#. So I would have to try to find their map creation program to see what they are doing.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I just created a map of Felucca on ServUO and it is square not proportional. So I am assuming it is a client issue. :(
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I will be adding the upgraded Distro back in as a branch of the current Distro. It will still need some work. I will continue working on it but at a reduced intensity than I have been.

The new version will be a breaking change! This means that it will require an item wipe, all data except pol.cfg and accounts.cfg need to be removed from the /data folder. However as no one is using the current Distro this should not be an issue,