Announcing the POL Configurator!

This is where you can post about tools related specifically to the POL Server itself

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Announcing the POL Configurator!

Post by Yukiko » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm

You'll forgive a little of self indulgent pride here. Well, even if you don't forgive it I'm going to have it anyway. :D

This is a project I started 9 years ago. For some reason that I cannot remember I abandoned it and had totally forgotten about it. While I was going down the rabbit hole of deleting old stuff I rediscovered it and decided to resurrect what was then called POL CFG edit. I look at the code and I am amazed that I actually wrote the original program and, all but for a few bugs, it did what it was supposed to do.

It originally was just a graphical user interface (GUI) to configure pol.cfg. When I brought it back into development I decided to give it the ability to load and edit more than just pol.cfg. So I added servspecopt.cfg and combat.cfg to its repertoire along with a tiny file named watch.cfg. I was going to have tabs for each file but then I had an idea. I would split the settings up based on their function rather than the files they reside in. I came up with three basic functions, server settings which mostly are hidden from the player, game play settings which in some way are mostly visible to the player, and logging and error reporting.

[EDIT] Now it also handles *.mul file extraction from *.uop files thanks to Eos' fine little utility, generation of tile, landtiles, and mul cfg files, facet (realm) generation, ecompile.cfg settings, and eCompiling scripts. There is also a "POL clean-up" feature that you can use to delete unnecessary files. You'll find that on the eCompile page.

Here are screenshots of the six pages in the Configurator. I just recently added the instructions tab so you don't have to go dig-up the text file. Using it is fairly straight forward though.

A note about the bug that was fixed in the previous release: It was a parsing error essentially. I read each line of the cfg files and look for a delimiter (separating character) between the setting name and the value. In all of the files I read in to the Configurator, except ecompile.cfg, those values are delimited by the equals symbol, '='. In ecompile.cfg the delimiter has always been at least one space character. This was an oversight on my part and was fixed prior to the public release of the second version of the Configurator. After its second release a new parsing issue arose. Some people understandably use one or more <tab> characters rather than spaces and I had not considered that. So my parsing routine had to be updated. It is now and everything should be fine. Please report any issues, preferably in a PM, so I can look into them. I find PMs easier to manage when getting bug reports.

This is a new version (1.5.5.9) with added functionality.
Download the POL Configurator installer and give it a try. When you first launch it you will get a pop-up box that warns you about a caveat you need to be aware of. The warning is repeated at least twice in the instructions and I will repeat below.

I have had reports that the install creator I use to make the POL Configurator Installer being blocked by antivirus and anti malware software with some antivirus programs. I am reasonably certain that my install creator is clean as not every antivirus program blocks it but because it does get blocked by some antivirus software I am providing a ZIP file of the program and supporting files. When unzipping this to an existing installation of the Configurator make sure that you tell you OS or ZIP file manager to overwrite all files.

Note: Upon launching the Configurator it loads the default settings. If you have settings already configured for your server and you want to keep them, first make sure that the Configurator is showing your POL location in the box at the bottom of the form labelled "Location of your POL directory". Then click the "Load My Config Files" button. If you fail to do this, upon saving your settings you will change your previous configuration to whatever settings are showing in the Configurator and you will lose the settings that you had prior to using the Configurator.

See how you like it. This is the third public version. I plan on adding to its functionality in the near future.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it.

Titus 2:13

xeon
Forum Regular

Re: Announcing the POL Configurator!

Post by xeon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:16 am

Hahahahahaha you're awesome Yukiko
Scripter Xeon | Zulu Hotel Italia 7th Age | www.zhi.it

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:09 am

Thank you Xeon. I will admit that for an average programmer I am both kind of proud of the programme. But more than that, I am amazed that I wrote it :D

There are so many things I want to add to it but I have to learn some new concepts and that takes time.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:17 am

On a side note I wish building gumps and accessing their returned values was as easy as building GUI interfaces and accessing their values is.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:07 pm

Can't be more in agreement
Scripter Xeon | Zulu Hotel Italia 7th Age | www.zhi.it

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am

*looks around*
*whispers to Xeon*
There might be a "major" update to the Configurator coming soon. Don't tell anyone. :)
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:24 pm

The next release is being beta tested by at least one person at the moment. If he can keep up with my bug fix releases that is.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:34 am

For me it's the same as before, a can not run realmgen or ecompile because of it can't recognize ecompile or uoconvert as system commands :(
Cheers!
Boberski (http://pol.uo.hyeah.pl/)

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:55 pm

I see you are running an alpha version of ConEmu. I don't know if that is causing the problem with eCompile and uoconvert but it could be. So I would suggest downloading the stable version of ConEmu from their website. They make a portable version if you don't want to install it. Try the stable version with the new copy of the beta version of the Configurator that I sent you via PM. Then do the following:

First make a brand new copy of your original, working POL installation for testing purposes. Do NOT test on your original POL installation!

Second check to make sure uoconvert.exe is present in your new duplicate POL root folder and that ecompile.exe is present in the scripts folder. I know it sounds lame but it is possible that they are not there for some reason.

Third, install the latest build of the POL Configurator that I PMed you. This time I sent the installer instead of just the EXE for testing so it will make sure you have the latest version of all the files.

Fourth, run the Configurator and make sure the scroll bar is present. After some effort I managed to find a 720p monitor to test it on and it worked for me.

Fifth, set the "Location of your POL directory" to the root of your POL installation and the "Location of your UO installation" to the root directory of your installed UO client.

Sixth, go to the eCompile tab and click on the big button labelled "Use POL root" located near the top middle of the page.

Seventh, as you are using a copy of your POL installation, click on the "Save Settings" button at the bottom of the window.

Eighth, check all of the check boxes under "POL clean-up" EXCEPT "Remove Custom" then click the button "Remove all selected file types".

Ninth, click on the "Compile modified Scripts and send output to the console." button. If you get the error that "ecompile is not recognized as an internal or external command" try running the Configurator in the normal Windows shell. If you still get the error send me a PM and let me know.

If all goes well at this point continue testing the other features of the POL Configurator and please PM me with the results.

Thanks for helping.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 am

Scroll is working also it seams that running cmds also works fine. But I can not perform ecompile because od my ecompile.cfg looks like:

Code: Select all

##
## ecompile.cfg: must be in the same directory as ecompile.exe
##

#
# ModuleDirectory: Location of *.em files
#
=0

#
# IncludeDirectory: Location of *.inc files, if not found relative
#                   or with a specified package
#
=0

#
# PolScriptRoot: Location of "::file" includes
#
=0

#
# PackageRoot: root directories where packages are stored
#              This can be specified multiple times.
#
=0

#
# Default ecompile options
#

#
# GenerateListing
# Generates *.lst files that contain program counter and
# instyructions being executed at the program counter
# location. Useful for debugging misbehaving scripts.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateListing=0

#
# GenerateDebugInfo
# Directs eCompile to generated a special *.dbg file.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDebugInfo=0

#
# GenerateDebugTextInfo
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDebugTextInfo=0

#
# DisplayWarnings
# Directs eCompile to display warnings such as 'unused variables'.
# Default is 1
#
DisplayWarnings=0

#
# CompileAspPages
# Directs eCompile to compile Active Server Pages
# Default is 1
#
CompileAspPages=1

#
# AutoCompileByDefault
# If set, and you don't pass any script names or use switches -r or -A, will perform an auto compile.
# Default is 1
#
AutoCompileByDefault=0

#
# UpdateOnlyOnAutoCompile
# If set, autocompile will only update modified scripts.
# Default is 1
#
UpdateOnlyOnAutoCompile=0

#
# OnlyCompileUpdatedScripts
# Compile only updated scripts (.src newer than .ecl)
# Default is 1
#
OnlyCompileUpdatedScripts=0

#
# DisplaySummary
# Displays overall totals after compilation, unless compilation aborted due to a compile error.
# Default is 1
#
DisplaySummary=0

#
# GenerateDependencyInfo
# Generate .dep files whether or not updating.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDependencyInfo=0

#
# 
# Display the 'xxx/script.ecl is up-to-date' message, or not.
# Default is 0
#
DisplayUpToDateScripts=0

#
# OptimizeObjectMembers
# Default is 1
#
OptimizeObjectMembers=0

#
# ErrorOnWarning
# Treat warnings just like errors.
# Default is 0
#
ErrorOnWarning=0

#
# ThreadedCompilation
# Uses multiple threads to speed up compilation.
# Default is 0
#
ThreadedCompilation=0

#
# ParanoiaWarnings
# Forces eCompile to complain about {} syntax.
# Default is 0
#
ParanoiaWarnings=0
Cheers!

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:02 am

So you followed my instructions and your ecompile.cfg looks like that? I know if you saved the default settings and didn't load your settings, which would have loaded the corrupted ecompile.cfg, it should look exactly like the 'defaultecompile.cfg' file that is in the POL Configurator install directory. I just copied your corrupted ecompile.cfg settings to my ecompile.cfg, saved the file, loaded the Configurator, made sure all my directories were set proper in the text boxes at the bottom of the program window. Then I clicked on the big button on the eCompile page marked "Use POL Root". Then saved the settings and loaded the ecompile.cfg and this is what mine showed:

Code: Select all

##
## ecompile.cfg: must be in the same directory as ecompile.exe
##

#
# ModuleDirectory: Location of *.em files
#
ModuleDirectory=D:\Distro\scripts\modules

#
# IncludeDirectory: Location of *.inc files, if not found relative
#                   or with a specified package
#
IncludeDirectory=D:\Distro\scripts

#
# PolScriptRoot: Location of "::file" includes
#
PolScriptRoot=D:\Distro\scripts

#
# PackageRoot: root directories where packages are stored
#              This can be specified multiple times.
#
PackageRoot=D:\Distro\pkg
PackageRoot=D:\Distro\devpkg

#
# Default ecompile options
#

#
# GenerateListing
# Generates *.lst files that contain program counter and
# instyructions being executed at the program counter
# location. Useful for debugging misbehaving scripts.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateListing=0

#
# GenerateDebugInfo
# Directs eCompile to generated a special *.dbg file.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDebugInfo=0

#
# GenerateDebugTextInfo
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDebugTextInfo=0

#
# DisplayWarnings
# Directs eCompile to display warnings such as 'unused variables'.
# Default is 1
#
DisplayWarnings=1

#
# CompileAspPages
# Directs eCompile to compile Active Server Pages
# Default is 1
#
CompileAspPages=1

#
# AutoCompileByDefault
# If set, and you don't pass any script names or use switches -r or -A, will perform an auto compile.
# Default is 1
#
AutoCompileByDefault=1

#
# UpdateOnlyOnAutoCompile
# If set, autocompile will only update modified scripts.
# Default is 1
#
UpdateOnlyOnAutoCompile=1

#
# OnlyCompileUpdatedScripts
# Compile only updated scripts (.src newer than .ecl)
# Default is 1
#
OnlyCompileUpdatedScripts=1

#
# DisplaySummary
# Displays overall totals after compilation, unless compilation aborted due to a compile error.
# Default is 1
#
DisplaySummary=1

#
# GenerateDependencyInfo
# Generate .dep files whether or not updating.
# Default is 0
#
GenerateDependencyInfo=1

#
# 
# Display the 'xxx/script.ecl is up-to-date' message, or not.
# Default is 0
#
DisplayUpToDateScripts=0

#
# OptimizeObjectMembers
# Default is 1
#
OptimizeObjectMembers=1

#
# ErrorOnWarning
# Treat warnings just like errors.
# Default is 0
#
ErrorOnWarning=0

#
# ThreadedCompilation
# Uses multiple threads to speed up compilation.
# Default is 0
#
ThreadedCompilation=1

#
# ParanoiaWarnings
# Forces eCompile to complain about {} syntax.
# Default is 0
#
ParanoiaWarnings=0
There is a mistake in the comment about ThreadedCompilation. It should read: # Default is 1
but that wouldn't have an effect on the actual setting. It will be corrected in the regular release of the Configurator.

Is your ecompile.cfg corrupted in your original POL scripts directory? If so it might have been messed up by an earlier build of the Configurator. There was a problem with a build that did write 0 instead of the file paths when writing ecompile.cfg. What you need to do if it is corrupted is copy the defaultecompile.cfg text to your ecompile.cfg file and save it. Make sure you change the path names to match your path names for your POL installation.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:41 am

I will need to refactor a part of the Configurator before this version goes out of beta testing. For those testing it make sure you are testing on a copy of your POL installation as I directed you to in the beta tester's PM I sent out. Again only beta test the Configurator on a COPY of your POL installation.

The problem arises when you read in your ecompile.cfg file. Writing only the default ecompile, which is loaded at the start of the program, does not corrupt ecompile.cfg. In reviewing the code I determined that the problem still exists when reading the cfg file from your POL directory because early on the Configurator was designed to look for an equals symbol between setting names and values. ecompile.cfg used a space between setting names and values. This caused the program to be unable to get the proper settings and thus the corruption occurred. All other cfg files that the program currently parses use the equals symbol as a delimiter.

If you simply save the defaults without loading your cfg files no corruption occurs. It's only when you load your cfgs that ecompile, and only ecompile, cfg gets corrupted. So for now all beta testers should only work with the default settings. Save settings after confirming directories are set properly.

If you follow the steps in my above post no corruption to ecompile.cfg will occur but as I said I have to fix this one issue before I officially release the latest version so that people who wish to keep their settings in other files can load them in and have no fear of corrupting ecompile.cfg.

Please note that the version linked to at the top of this thread does NOT have this issue. It doesn't handle compiling or eCompile's settings.

And one other note. When I ask for beta testers to PM me with their testing results please use PMs to report back to me your experiences.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 am

I delete old ecompile.cfg and restart configurator and it is working now :)
Cheers!

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:22 pm

That's great news.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 am

The new version of the POL Configurator is now available. See the top of this thread for new screenshots. There are 2 new tabs of functionality. Please let me know how you like it and if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 am

[bump post to keep this near the top]
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Updated POL Configurator is now available.
Nothing critical was changed. Some cosmetic changes and code cleanup.

I cleaned up the interface.
Changes made:
There were some misaligned check boxes. Fixed.

Some buttons were too narrow hiding part of the captions. Fixed.

The large "Use POL root" button on the eCompile page was removed.

Browsing to and selecting your POL directory now prepends the POL root to the package directories in the "Package Root Directory (ies)" list box. That was the only reason the large button mentioned above had been present and to be honest I can't remember why I had not just prpended to POL root to the package root directories in the first place.

Changed the defaultpol.cfg file setting MaxTileID setting to 0xFFFF to be compatible with the latest UO expansion, Time of Legends.

Cleaned up the code. Proceduralized loading of config files which removed maybe 300 lines of code. During development I had individual config file loaders for both times I load default configuration files and loading of the user's configuration files. Now they are handled by one procedure.
Sincerely,
Yukiko

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:05 am

I found a "small" error in the POL Configurator. The Malas facet (realm) was built with too small of a Y dimension. It is fixed now in the files available in the original post at the top of this thread.

If you used the Configurator to build your facets (realms) then you need to rebuild the Malas facet again.
Sincerely,
Yukiko