OK. I got the Distro repo reorganised.

Discussion about the development of POL's official distribution scripts.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

OK. I got the Distro repo reorganised.

Post by Yukiko »

Note to self: When doing a Git move to swap files in an existing folder, move the files you are going to replace the old files with into a temp directory first and do the move on the target folder first. Then commit and push then move the files in the temp folder to the original target folder.

I made the mistake of moving Edwards' scripts, using git mv, to Fantasia_distro and then, without a commit and push, moved the Distro-Alt files to the Distro folder thinking that there would be no issues since with a Git mv the original directory gets deleted anyway. The move of Edwards scripts to Fantasia_distro did delete te original Distro directory. However without a Git commit AND a push after the initial move it confused the whole process and if you read the history on the poldistro website you'll see my failed attempts to do the Big Switch. So after 2 or 3 hours of sleep (due to the heat here and I think a side effect of my stroke) I finally have things fixed. I am not sure if the commit history survived on the Distro but it did, I think, on Fantasia_distro.
boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Re: OK. I got the Distro repo reorganised.

Post by boberski »

I also change http://pol.uo.hyeah.pl/ to match Kiko's changes. So there is no more POL running on Edward's Distro, but it still can be downloaded from distro tab.

Kiko: I thought I would kill you when I saw that you change whole struct of repo, so I had to change all the scripts on the server :P
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

I mentioned this on the distro discord channel but i'll mention it here aswell.

My suggestion is to change polserver/poldistro to purely be the actively supported distro only and then move all the distros(old ones and alt ones) into either their own repository for archived or historical distros, or set them up as their own "branches".

I'm not full bottle on GIT so i don't know how to best handle it, however i think having just the active working distro as its own repository would be best way to go for:
A) new comers to pick it up and get it working.
B) existing support crew/community to be able to offer support for people trying to work with it(remove clutter etc).

Sorry Boberski if this suggestion gets approved you'll probably have to reshuffle the server again :P
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I told Nando about your idea and he agreed although I don't think I mentioned moving the "Legacy" Distros to a separate repo. Another benefit of having a separate "Legacy" repo is download time and bandwidth for those just wanting the current Distro. I know for a lot of us don't suffer under data caps and low Internet speeds but there are places where the populace does, Australia to pick a "first world" country for example and I hate the term "first world" by the way. Politically correct I am not! Sorry, my rant side crept out there.

I'm sure Nando will see this and comment. That's a hint Nando ;)

I also proposed to him that we have a new forum in this section just for posting "repo update alerts" so as to keep the Development Discussion forum less cluttered. He asked me if I wanted it in a "changelog style". I'm not sure if that would allow responses to the posts. I like "forum style" so I think I'd just like it to be a regular forum under Official POL Distribution (Distro). The same thing might be good for the Core section as well.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Haha as someone from Australia i completely agree with your comments :P
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Well, g'day mate. I didn't realise you hailed from "the land of wonder, the land down under".

No wonder you're on at late hours my time. I used to work the grave yard shift when I was able and I can't quite get back to day time hours. I find the nights less distracting for writing programs.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

By the way, I am working on ideas for goals for the Distro. I'll post it when I am done.