Outstanding 099 Core Issues?

Here you can post threads specific to the current release of the core (099)

Moderator: POL Developer

kevin
POL Developer

Outstanding 099 Core Issues?

Post by kevin »

All,

We're poised to provide a release candidate for POL 099. Before then, we need a list of outstanding issues, so we can prioritize them and determine if its critical to fix prior to release. Please post your findings and we'll go from there. This is only for core, not distro scripts.

Thanks, Kevin
Nando
POL Developer

Re: Outstanding 099 Core Issues?

Post by Nando »

It would also be useful to post here even if you have no issues with the current core. For instance, let us know what is your average uptime without a crash and whether the current core feels stable.

If you already reported the issue before, post the link here and tell us that the bug still remains.
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Take this as an inexperienced user who may not know what he's talking about and just is too thick to figure out how to do it.

I can't get and remember reading another post from many moons ago about a similar issue, the cliloc functionality to accept a new font type. These include:

SendSysMessageCL
PrintTextAboveCL
PrintTextAbovePrivateCL

If these aren't that important of an issue or not an issue you're referring to disregard my post. Currently I've to use "color:=33" to change the color of the text sine I can't change the font and was informed it's not good practice to do it that way.
kevin
POL Developer

Post by kevin »

Hi ThisIsMe,

Yeah, I remember looking at this before when I was fixing the other cliloc issue (the "System" in journal), and I couldn't find anything wrong in the code, but didn't test it in game. I did some in-game testing now, running the following code:

Code: Select all

var it := Target(who);
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},1, 3); 
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},2, 3); 
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},3, 3); 
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},3, 1); 
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},3, 2); 
  PrintTextAboveCL(it, 1010042,{},3, 3); 
With this, I am able to change the color but for some reason the font wasn't changing:

However, I tracked it down to the packet level and the packet is being sent properly. See the log:

Code: Select all

Server -> Client: 0xC1, 50 bytes
0000 c1 00 32 00 00 00 a2 02  5d 07 00 03 00 02 00 0f   ..2..... ].......
0010 69 7a 53 61 6d 61 75 72  61 69 00 00 00 00 00 00   izSamaur ai......
0020 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........ ........
0030 00 00                                              ........ ........

0000 c1 00 32 00 00 00 a2 02  5d 07 00 03 00 03 00 0f   ..2..... ].......

0000 c1 00 32 00 00 00 a2 02  5d 07 00 01 00 03 00 0f   ..2..... ].......

0000 c1 00 32 00 00 00 a2 02  5d 07 00 02 00 03 00 0f   ..2..... ].......

0000 c1 00 32 00 00 00 a2 02  5d 07 00 03 00 03 00 0f   ..2..... ].......
So, perhaps the font is some other number? I'm not sure. Can you compare it to a packet that properly displays a different font, from a different server perhaps?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Sorry to interject here about the fonts but I have to ask, what program did you use to log the packets?

And in regards to the release of an official 0.99 release, it would be nice to finally get POL up to a 1.00 release. Along the way the decimal point was dropped and the Core versions have been referenced without it (096, 097, 098 etc.) but technically the current beta version is at 0.99. I am not sure if this is the time to bump it to 1.00 because I have questions about possible limitations of POL that do not yet take advantage of some client features. To be honest some of the limitations are only speculations on my part. I have to verify a few but one is real. The new secure trading gump allows for silver and gold coin amounts to be displayed but the coin amounts are not passed, by POL, to the client. One that I'm not sure about is the ability to use different font styles in standard gumps. It would be nice to have the ability to have a "book of runic writings" or a journal that uses the handwriting (for those not as old as me, cursive) style font. As I said I don't know if that's even possible but if it is perhaps that could be implemented either before making 0.99 official or before we finally get to 1.00.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

We discussed about it some time ago, and the next one will indeed be POL 1.00. ;)

For the silver/gold amounts, do you know which client version starts accepting those? Do you know how the packet looks like? We could have a look into it.

About the other features, have you seen those implemented somewhere?

We've avoided making big changes to 099 for a few years now, because it's the only updated & stable version we have. Once we start working on 1.00, we can break things for a while and add many new features. Small fixes/upgrades could still be added to 099 later on.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I don't know what the packet looks like for gold/silver amounts. One thing I would need is the preferred "packet sniffer" that is used for sniffing UO packets. I'd be willing to bet that ServUO has the feature implemented and as I'm not a paying Ultima Online (R) player, ServUO is our, ThisIsMe and myself's, reference for latest implementations. I asked him to check on the different fonts in gumps thing but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. We're both neophytes when it comes to C so it takes a little more brain power when examining their scripts. I'll see what I can find out about the packet info ad try to research the font/gump question too.

ThisIsMe just reminded me that we need to add Mysticism spellIDs to the Core. Bard Mastery spellIDs should be added for completeness sake but as ThisIsMe put it, the bard mastery spells are so convoluted that most POL shard developers would probably be happier using one of the custom bard packages already "in the wild" rather than messing with the "official" bard spells

One thing he also mentioned is the "enemy of one" spell in the Paladin's repertoire of spells. When cast on an NPC that spell will colour every NPC type matching the cast-on NPC red for the paladin so only he sees the coloured NPC. That will be needed in order to properly implement the paladin spellbook. Maybe that is already possible. If so please PM me with the info on how it is done. I'm already very close to finishing the official Necromancy spellbook and paladin is one of the two left in my queue at the moment.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Razor has a very good packet sniffer. It's in the tab "More options", one of the last checkboxes: "Enable packet logging". It creates a "Razor_Packets.log" on the desktop. It's a very useful tool!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Nando.
Ok. A quick look at ServUO's SecureTrade.cs file refers to "platinum" not silver. The secure trade gump doesn't show names by the coin graphics and I assumed they were silver because of the graphic for silver coins in the art.mul file. There is not graphic for platinum so I can only assume OSI/EA/BS has coopted the silver coins to represent platinum as they've discontinued their faction system that made use of silver coins.
kevin
POL Developer

Post by kevin »

Two things:

1. The packet log came from POL. If you use the command .startlog (and stop with .stoplog), you'll get a packet dump under ./log/<acctname>.log

2. "enemy of one" spell: Sounds like a person casts this spell, targets a mob, and all mobs that have the same "type" are now viewed differently only by that person. Not 100% sure on the whole details (eg. what is a "matching type"). but I think you could make this work with packet hooks and cprops. Hook the Draw Object packet and change the Color flag if the packet recipient has used Enemy of One on that "NPC type" or so. I think there are too many nitty-gritty details on implementation of how this would work and is too specific shard-by-shard to include this functionality in the core (eg. how long does it last, what are considered "types", does it wear off on logout, etc)
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

I would say, no bugs/crashes as far for me, but its summer now, server is almost empty and i couldnt test it properly (i switched to last git version for ~2 months)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Kevin for the "enemy of one" info. You have it right about how it's supposed to work. Nando also suggested the repsys hook as a possible avenue for implementing it. I'll look into both. Glad to see you working on the Core. 0.99 needs to be finalised and your help is certainly welcome and appreciated.

No crashes on my end either. Memory utilisation appears to be stable so no apparent memory leaks either.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

I'm on 099 but on an (now) old version, so I cannot say. I couldn't upgrade because I immediately was stuck in a bug introduced in newer version than mine, so I had to rollback, never took the time to upgrade again.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Just a few things to mention for either rolling up 0.99 or to add to a 1.00 release roadmap:

I would like the additional status gump items added, ie. reduced mana cost etc.

Also the secure trading gump issue concerning the coin amounts not being displayed needs to be resolved.

The luck member needs to be either raised to the root UObject or added to the item child object. There are items on the official servers that affect (modify) a character's luck. Also, if possible, can a luck_mod member be added? For those servers that have a race system it might be beneficial if they can set the luck as intrinsic for a race and apply mods through the luck_mod member. Again, on the official servers humans start with an intrinsic +5 (I think it's +5) luck.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I am going to revive this topic as it has been almost 6 months that it was started.

To recap my concerns to rolling up the 0.99 Core:
1. The fileaccess.cfg directory setting does not work.
2. The coin amounts not showing up in the secure trading gump.
3. The additional status items, reduced mana cost, reduced reagent cost, etc. Dev is working on these but I have listed them for completeness.
4. The elevation of the luck member to UOObject and the addition of a luck_mod r/w member to UOObject.

This list is what I can remember of my concerns at the moment.

Anyway I think with DevGiB working on the additional status items we are not far from finalizing 0.99 and perhaps he can handle the luck elevation and mod issue along with what he is doing :)

Those are not bugs so their priority might be pushed off until 1.00 but the fileaccess.cfg issue has been a limitation for some time and it is a necessary fix for some situations. The coin issue with secure trade would be nice to get working for players. I will try to get a good packet capture from ServUO for the developers to review.

That's my two pence worth, for now at least :)
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

Back to an old topic that new tradewindow with platinum currency was released on 11 september 2015 together with 18th anniversary stuff. I would look into feature bits for a9 or b9 packets to enable ut. No idea about clientversions because havent been following uo development for a long time.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks for the heads up Tomi. I think ServUO has this enabled. Time for some packet sniffing.
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Post by OWHorus »

Not exactly 'outstanding core issues', but here my build experiences with POL-0.99, official release:

1) Fetched POL-0.99 with GIT, not using the HEAD release (which is POL 1.00), but the POL-0.99 branch, I hope this was intended? It works fine, on Windows and on Debian 8.0, and it includes the latest fix for Accessible, done after the official release. (I expect, that error fixes found later with the 0.99 release will find their way into this branch too?)

2) Tried to build using the (new) instructions, for this I installed CMake 3.10 on Windows. Something fails, it complains it cannot find msbuild.exe. A bit unclear which folder to use, I think one should use the main folder .../polserver, where the folders lib and pol-core are subfolders. This does not work. (I have VS 2015 installed, it was used later with the build script - see 3)

3) Used the old 'buildDistWin.bat' in pol-core, as done for all older releases. Works fine, POL builds. Building the dist works too, but the resulting files miss the release number, i.e. 'pol-core-x64-.zip' and not 'pol-core-x64-0.99.zip' or similar. Small problem (I think this was always so under Windows?), but the release inside the ZIP and the pdb-files inside the second ZIP are present, complete and ok.

4) Repeated the entire process in a VM using Debian Linux 8, fully patched and with all tools installed, cmake is 2.4, GnuC ist 4.9. Used git to download the release source tree. Then used the scripts in bin-build, as described in instructions. This worked fine with CMake, and the entire release builds. Building the dist fails, it is build in the usual archive with a correct name, but the archive (now obviously built with CMake/CPack) misses all the shared libraries, and has wrong paths: ./lib is missing, including the libraries, ./script/modules is missing too.
This can be corrected by hand, because all the libraries and module files are present:
The shared libraries do not find their way into the archive, but are present. The modules are actually in the archive, but all under ./scripts, because there is not ./scripts/modules directory.

So building the release works, and should generate valid files (did not test them at this time) but the build instructions are wrong/incomplete.
In Windows CMake fails, but the old build script works fine, the resulting archive after building the dist is ok. The instructions on the POL/Source page are wrong.

In Debian Linux 8 (jessie) the build works fine, but the resulting archive needs to be corrected/rebuild per hand. The instructions on the POL/Source page are correct.

Commments?
Did I do anything wrong?

I post this, because I think a stable 0.99 release will be a build target for a while - not everybody will want to use the development releases. So the instructions should work even for people who did never build POL before. (Downloading a precompiled release for Windows is fine, but under Linux and on our Debian Server I prefer to build it under the same OS (jessie) myself, despite the fact, that an Ubuntu built release will probably work).

But - Congratulations to the POL team for this release :)

OWHorus
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

Thx for the feedback.
The main problem is that the split to pol100 was in the transition phase (which isn't completed yet) of the buildsystem.
The readme on github sadly doesn't switch between the branches. So I think I will backport the buildsystem to the pol099 branch once all is finished.
About the missing shared libs on Linux: these are no more needed, I removed this senseless "feature" it's now like windows build as static libs.
No idea where I have it from but I totally missed that the module files should be in a modules directory, I will fix that.
So in short: pol099 on windows currently still need the old builddist.bat file.
Once the transition phase is over and we removed all the visual studio files I will backport the latest cmake stuff into pol099 branch so noone had to remember how complicated it was before one central build system ;)
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Maybe just need to change the docs with 1 section for release build(0.99) and 1 section for development built(1.00)?
That way rather than effort to back port these changes we just move forward?

Then when 1.00 is official release and 1.01 is development we can drop the requirement for 2 build docs?