Regarding Yukiko

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Regarding Yukiko

Post by ThisIsMe »

To the POL Community:

On New Years Day, Yukiko (my father) suffered a stroke, he is currently in hospital. He is alert and conscious but as one would expect depressed of the uncertainty toward recovery and his current situation. I sat and visited with him today, without going into complete detail about his current condition, he is currently paralyzed on the right side of his body, with very slight movement in his fingers and toes. He can slightly move his right leg, his speech has a slight slur but very intelligible. Doctors have said it may take up to a year for recovery.

I know he has been a longtime member of this community so he asked that I post this on his behalf and during this time, he and our family has asked for thoughts and prayers toward a full and speedy recovery.
xeon
Forum Regular

Re: Regarding Yukiko

Post by xeon »

I'm very sorry. Surely has been a long time member of this community, and I hope he'll recover fully and fast
:(
boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski »

So thats why he has not been on skype recently :(
Kiro, be brave and come back to us!
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope he enjoys a fast recovery. Having had a case in the family, I can say that the most important thing now is to not give up. The brain has an amazing capacity to rewire around faulty areas and recover, so please tell him to be stubborn and keep himself motivated the whole time for the best chances of recovery.

Please don't hesitate contacting us if there's anything the community could do to help out.
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

My father says thanks for all the well wishes.

I spoke with him briefly yesterday on the phone while at work, his speech sounds better.

Still a long road ahead but we're trying to hold down the fort while keeping our spirits high.

Thanks again for the support shown.
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

That's a very bad start for 2017... I'm deeply sorry to hear that.
He is a longtime member of this community indeed, and he also has done a lot of work on the distro and helping people.
Please send him my best wishes for a full and quick recovery.
Pumpkins
Apprentice Poster

Post by Pumpkins »

I hope he gets better soon! Never give up.
The human body has a remarkable ability to heal itself.
boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski »

Kiko is hell of a fighter. He will be fine :)
Besides, he is in this community for 10 years :) that is a training!
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

Been a long week but just an update:

My dad is home, we've been trying to work out the kinks with regards to getting him to and from the restroom as well as his therapy. We set up a go find me type page to help get some assistance toward getting various equipment that will help his current QoL as well as to help give a buffer toward the coming months to getting some of the finances covered.

It's been a rough week for us all but we'll get there.

Thanks for the prayers and best wishes, feel free to pm me if any want to get personal messages to him I am happy to relay them.
kevin
POL Developer

Post by kevin »

I am so sorry to hear this. From the whole POL community, we send our prayers to you and your family. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

If I may ask, what is the gofundme page?
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

https://www.youcaring.com/dangardner-731103

That is the link.

As an update, he is able to lift his right leg about 4 inches off the surface of what ever he is sitting on, he can only lift it when it is stretched out but I believe this is a good sign.

His right arm has some resistance when he applies it but not nearly as responsive as his right leg. I believe this is most likely due to the muscle structure difference between a leg and an arm, generally legs are much more powerful than an arm. Though I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

So there are clear signs of improvement, there's still some work to be done.

We appreciate the prayers and if you'd like to throw a few bucks into the youcaring page that would help out as well, but prayers are as my dad says in the video of great importance.
boberski
Grandmaster Poster

Post by boberski »

Any more info?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yes. There is more info here.

My son has been busy doing some map work for another UO server so he hasn't been here to post lately.