Items disappear when dropped int a container

Open discussion forum. For topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Items disappear when dropped int a container

Post by Yukiko »

I seem to be encountering some odd behaviour with UO lately. The newest issue is that a couple of items seem to disappear when dropped into a container. They are definitely in the container but the tile art doesn't show up in a backpack. If I create them on the ground the art shows up. I have manually examined the data files to verify that the item is in the backpack and that its graphic hasn't changed.

Some things I should mention: The items are new art I have added to the client. The tile art is for a wearable item but that shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. The client version is 7.0.27.9. The POL version is the latest repo from GiT. The items were added using UO Fiddler. Again, that shouldn't matter. If I create the item on the ground and then equip it the gump art does appear on my paperdoll.

This is only happening with a couple of items I have added. The item numbers are in the lower (under 0x4000) graphic range.

Any help is obviously appreciated. Thanks.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Items disappear when dropped int a container

Post by Tomi »

Did you try if its just a simple problem that the item is not showing up by reopening the container ?
What about UpdateItem() function used on the container and opening it after ?
Moving out of range from it and back to inrange and opening again ?

If the answer to all those are NO, the problem is on clientside
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I just tried your suggestions Tomi and it is still behaving the same way. I do appreciate your help though.

The odd thing is when I use the .createat command to create the item on the ground I can see it. It's the tile art for an equippable item. So when I equip it, the gump art is displayed properly on the paper doll. If I unequip the item and drop it on the ground the tile art shows up. It's only when I drop it into a container that the tile art is not visible. I have checked the data file to see if somehow dropping it into a container changed the graphic but the graphic doesn't change.

I might be tempted to suspect it was my scripts except that other items do not exhibit this behaviour. Plus, I can't imagine what kind of a bug in my scripts could produce this type of glitch.

I''l try a few other things and if I resolve the issue I'll certainly post the fix here.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

OK. I tracked down the problem.

The issue was with the layer assigned to the wearable items. For some unknowable reason I had assigned the layer of 15 to the two items. It should have been 22. Layer 15 isn't used, but according to some old layer info I had saved from a tutorial this is what it says about layer 15 "15 Unused (backpack, but backpacks go to 21)". I don't know how old that info is or why it references backpack as having anything to do with layer 15 if it is unused. At any rate that was my problem. Keep in mind that I had no issues with these two items when I was using the Mondain's Legacy client and running POL 0.98. They had the same layer assigned there too. Everything worked fine then or appeared to. I'm not sure why.

Thanks again.