How UOfiddler works(with .mul files)?

This is where you can discuss UOFiddler, by Turley.

Moderator: POL Developer

fabioboh10
New User

How UOfiddler works(with .mul files)?

Post by fabioboh10 »

Hi guys, can anyone answer me, how does UOFiddler handle the .mul files, and, how was found the data structure of it?

I like that things of low level programing, and I'm very curious how does UOFiddler works!

Thanks
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: How UOfiddler works(with .mul files)?

Post by Yukiko »

If you download the POL "Distro" repository you will find in the \tools\UoFiddler directory a sub-directory named "Ultima". That is a Software Development Kit (SDK) that contains functions that are able to read the various file formats used by the Ultima Online clients. The SDK has been around for quite a few years now. It's used in m a lot of other utilities besides UO Fiddler.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

But never ever try to use a different ultima.dll shipped with other tools. I used the existing SDK only as a small start point and highly modified/extended it.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Exactly. Why do you think I recommended your version rather than the inferior one that can be found in less desirable places? :)

Always come here for the superior software!
fabioboh10
New User

Post by fabioboh10 »

OMG, that explain much things about that. Now, I'm reading the SDK and trying to understand how are structured the .mul files!

Great, but, rest one more question. How was that SDK created? How was descoveried the structure of the .mul files? Any idea?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

If you do a search of the Internet for UO File Format you should find atleast one link to documentation for the file formats.Example: UO Stratics Heptazine's Ultima File Format Documentation. Heptazine was the creator of Inside UO. I assume he had to decompile the client to find out the format or he might have had some help from Origin Systems.
fabioboh10
New User

Post by fabioboh10 »

Well! I've asked in a hacking forum how can I know a structure of a file (like a .mul file, for example). And then, they have answered to the same thing about it(to reach a file structure, you must decompile the reading program function).

Now I understand that, and I know the origin of how files can be structured! So, thanks for the answers and from now on, I can continue my studies.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You're welcome. By the way, I found this site that lists various variable types in C#, VB.NET and VB6 for accessing the IDX and MUL files. I cannot say if it is accurate but it might be helpful for you in creating programs to manipulate the UO files. Some of the links on the site are dead links but the important ones for the three different languages work.
fabioboh10
New User

Post by fabioboh10 »

Thanks and thanks again :D

I will include these things in my studies.