Unknown Packet 0xc8

Here you can discuss packets, implementation and design, and software related to the packet sniffing and such. This is not the place to post packages for POL, but rather discuss the packet side of them.

Moderator: POL Developer

RusseL
Forum Regular

Unknown Packet 0xc8

Post by RusseL »

Code: Select all

Unknown packet type 0xc8: 2 bytes (IP:127.0.0.1, Account:admin)
0000: c8 12                                              ........ ........
I use client 7.0.18.0 now, and i get everytime after login this message. Everything works fine, but this message make me worries, where is the problem?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Unknown Packet 0xc8

Post by Yukiko »

I get the same error when I try logging in with Stygian Abyss Classic version 7.0.7.1. I have other problems as well such as the client freezing after taking three or four steps. One thing I do notice is that right after getting in game my character's paperdoll usually appears when I am using earlier clients but when using this client it doesn't appear. Double clicking on my character opens a health bar and some kind of overlay on my character but no paperdoll and my character's name doesn't appear in the health bar. It's just blank where the name should be. Could the 0xC* packet have something to do with the paperdoll not showing up? Sorry I can't offer any help but atleast you know it isn't just you getting the error. BTW I am using the latest SVN build for the POL server and the current "Distro" with mods made so it would compile properly.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

No, this packet has nothing to do with paperdoll. C8 is only 2 bytes length and used to set client view range. 1 byte is a packet id c8 and 1 byte is this range 0x12 = 18, but i cant understand why it's not available in pol.

For your problem: i think you have somewhere in logon.src SendPacket(who,"BD....") with old packet size, that is why your client freeze. Just remove this line and it would work
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks. Will give it a try. Sorry I wasn't able to help with the 0xC8 packet issue.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I couldn't find a SendPacket(who,"BD....") but I did find this one:

SendPacket( mobile, "B9801B" );
I commented it out and the client no longer hangs. Thanks again for your help. Now I can play around with the "Distro" for a while.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

Yukiko wrote:I couldn't find a SendPacket(who,"BD....") but I did find this one:

SendPacket( mobile, "B9801B" );
I commented it out and the client no longer hangs. Thanks again for your help. Now I can play around with the "Distro" for a while.
You can change it to SendPacket(character, "B90000801B"); for new clients
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks. Worked perfectly.

Now if that odd 0xC8 packet error mystery could be solved...
Sorry I can't help with that one.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I don't see a "typedef" for the C8 packet in the POL Core source code (\pol\network\packets.h). If I understand what I am seeing, and that is questionable since I don't know C, it looks like it was never implemented. I would imagine if it was added to the core there would be a definition in that file for it.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

Youre correct Yukiko that has not been implemented yet.

It has most likely been put aside of more important stuff to implement, but I will take a look at that packet when I have again time to do something about UO and Pol
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Tomi. I understand about not having time. Glad to hear you're still working on the project.
Voicer
Neophyte Poster

Post by Voicer »

sorry to digging graves, but anyway:

it is enough to write a hook for this, if client got the reply from POL it will set the view range properly

adding pkg I am using for this.
Attachments
ViewRange.zip
(1000 Bytes) Downloaded 325 times