The starthere batch files

Discussion about the development of POL's official distribution scripts.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

The starthere batch files

Post by Yukiko »

The "copy UO files" option does not overwrite existing files. I don't know if this is intentional or not but it did cause some problems after updating the UO client and recopying or trying to recopy the files over to \MUL.

Also, I think we should add an optional option to the eCompile menu that stops compilation on errors. It causes confusion currently because it does not stop on errors and the user thinks everything went swimmingly when it did not. The compile to a log file is probably OK with no stop on errors but when it is outputting to the console I think the user should have that option.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Re: The starthere batch files

Post by DevGIB »

My ecompile stops on errors :S
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Did you modify it? ;) The start here batch file has the "continue on error" switch set.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Oh right, yes of course, sorry no i run my ecompile manually. i'm too lazy to use starthere :P i completely forgot what the entire post was about when replying. Changing the BAT file shouldn't be too hard though.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yeah I run eCompile from the command line as well because I set a few switches and also because the batch file doesn't stop on errors. I think the option should be there because people might think everything was fine and it wasn't. In fact I think that is exactly what happened with a recent post. The user said he ran the compile all scripts and had no problems but when he tried to compile a script he got an error about not being able to find attributes.inc
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

I think the bat should definitely stop on errors. It's just bad practice to not stop on all errors in a production shard and most of those who will download this want an up and running "production level" shard immediately.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I agree CWO. I remember using the starthere.bat a long time ago and then finding out I was missing ECLs because of errors. That prompted me to start launching eCompile from the command line and forgo the use of the batch file for compiling. So do you think we should include an additional option in the batch file for compiling without stopping on errors? I was thinking that the option should be there but then I thought "why?". When would you ever not want a compile to stop on an error? I can't think of any reason.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

I've never skipped errors. Not even on my development and rewrite shards. Although, I never really compiled the whole shard much unless I updated a global include or upgraded POL which didn't happen too often.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

I personally always compile with:
-Au -T -D
This way I never have to think about what I have to compile depending on what I changed.
In case of em file changes I delete all ecls (or you could add a -f)
In former days I only had additionally in my editor a shortcut to compile the current file with -f -D

-b is I think never a good idea.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

Now I looked into ecompile.bat ;)
* The option "Compile updated scripts only." Doesn't do what the title suggests since it doesn't generate the dep files.
* Does someone really need such a long list of options? (See my post above I need maximum 2 ;) )
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I was thinking of 2 options. Compile stop on errors and compile to a log file but do not stop on errors. The last option assumes that the user is going to review the log file for problems.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Generate a listfile too... It helps immensely when debugging scripts.