I have started moving posts referencing old "Distros".

Discussion about the development of POL's official distribution scripts.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

I have started moving posts referencing old "Distros".

Post by Yukiko »

You will notice a new forum for old Distros. I am going to try and "clean-up" the forums by moving posts referencing old versions to that forum. It's a big job and will take time.So if you are looking for a post and it isn't where you remembered it was, check the old Distro forum.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Re: I have started moving posts referencing old "Distros".

Post by DevGIB »

This is probably a stupid suggestion, but maybe we need another forum where people can create sub forums for their distros and people can support those specific scripts?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

That when someone releases a "complete world" release they should have the ability to create a sub forum for their complete world release for support? Unfortunately usually people just post them and the original poster goes away. Most of the time they add a line saying something like "I can't support this but I am making it available."

Besides that it requires a privilege escalation to create sub forums.

One other point is that if they want to support a release of a script set other than the Distro shouldn't that be done on a web site dedicated to their script set?

I am just thinking of the ambiguity that can arise from providing such an expanded format for unofficial script sets.

It is not a stupid suggestion though. You should look at some of my old posts if you want to see stupid :D
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Yeah i understand the logistics of doing it would be something different.
I just figured it would allow people to try and get support of specific full world sets after the original supporters have gone away.
I get that its a case of most people don't release their scripts until they're done with the server and subsequently aren't around to help with it anymore. I just figured it allowed the community to better tailor support if you know which script set someone is working with, and if there are patches and fixes it allows someone else who comes along and uses those scripts to be able to look at the forum and go "oh ok thats how someone else fixed that bug"... provided of course you're only offering the original released script set rather than creating a new repository and putting updates etc in there.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

I like the idea of having a board for alternative distros, but there are not that many posts to warrant a board per distro. I can see it working if topics are tagged according to the distro they refer to.

And... don't we already have a "complete world" forum in some category?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yes. That's right. We do have the "Complete Wotlds" forum. I am not moving anything from there unless it specifically has a topic name about an official POL Distro and I haven't seen any. :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

In an effort to prevent confusion about bugs that refer to previous Distro versions I moved some of the older posts in the Distro Bugs forum to the "Old Distros" forum. Most were from pre 2010 anyway.