A Git Hub question.

Discussion about the development of POL's official distribution scripts.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

A Git Hub question.

Post by Yukiko »

I am trying to keep from getting in trouble with Turley again. :)
The last time I did a commit to POL Tools Git Desktop for Windows decided to not only upload the changed files but apparently uploaded the entire repo to Git Hub. I find this both annoying and disturbing because Git Desktop for Windows is produced by GitHub Inc. My questions are: Does anybody know of a way to prevent this? and. Which file do I edit to prevent various file types and possibly folders that may get created on my local repo by Visual Studio etc. from getting uploaded to the Git repo? In the poltools\git\info directory there is a file named 'exclude'. Is that the file? I know there's supposed to be a git ignore file but I couldn't find that one.

Your help with this is greatly appreciated.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Re: A Git Hub question.

Post by RusseL »

1. use command line to have more control about what you commit and how you commit. imo all those git-ui are just a shit.
2. '.gitignore' is a file which contains info about files to ignore
3. read git manual? Git is a very powerful version control system with tons of features, commands, hooks etc, so there are hundreds of manuals, how-to's and examples :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

RusseL wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:12 pm 1. use command line to have more control about what you commit and how you commit. imo all those git-ui are just a shit.
Thanks Russel but that didn't answer my question. I was asking for help with Git Desktop for Windows. If I wanted to use command line I'd be using command line. I'm an old (58 years) computer user and have used command line in the past but I'm now working in a GUI environment. I realize the command line git is more flexible but I'm not ready to go through that whole learning curve yet. Now you could have posted a command line example that might have helped with my situation but to just toss out "use command line" wasn't the help I wanted.
2. '.gitignore' is a file which contains info about files to ignore
I believe I mentioned that I could NOT find gitignore.
3. read git manual? Git is a very powerful version control system with tons of features, commands, hooks etc, so there are hundreds of manuals, how-to's and examples :)
Good advice. I'll look for help for Git Desktop for Windows on the Internet.

I am sorry but every time I ask ANY question about GitHub and a GUI for it I get the same answer, "use command line." and frankly that is annoying. If I have to use git command line I will but if someone knows the answer to my question I would appreciate a response. This is like when someone has a problem with Windows the Linux fanatics who say "don't use Windows because it's a pile of steaming sh-t". I'm usually not this snarky in my posts so for that I apologize but I'm still going to post this anyway. :)
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

I use SourceTree by Atlassian ::
https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/

I find it more functional and easier to understand than Git for Windows.

I can't really help you with your Git For Windows problem as i don't know enough about it.

Sorry :(
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I'll take a look at Source Tree. I'm open to anything except the command line right now. I installed Tortoise for Git several months ago. I used to use it before POL went to Git and found it very easy to use for "checkout" of repos (downloading) but the Git version is not as easy to use as the other version.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

Yukiko wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm I believe I mentioned that I could NOT find gitignore.
so, create it inside of root repo-dir and commit it ;) take a look at pol-core repo for example, there is one.
Yukiko wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm I am sorry but every time I ask ANY question about GitHub and a GUI for it I get the same answer, "use command line." and frankly that is annoying.
Thats because GIT was designed and developed to be a command line tool.
You can never be sure what will GUI do if you push any button :)