Problem with running POL'a - regardless of the version

Archive of posts related to former distro versions. Be aware that posts here do not refer to the current distro and may not work.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

n3k
New User

Problem with running POL'a - regardless of the version

Post by n3k »

Hi, I have big problem. I met with this first time. If you try to run POL I receives a message:

System: Win 7 (64 bit)
Pol version: problem occurs on all versions

What am I doing wrong?
Turley
POL Developer

Re: Problem with running POL'a - regardless of the version

Post by Turley »

As the crash msg tells pol tries to equip a item which cannot be equipped. Check the definition of these items.
n3k
New User

Post by n3k »

The problem occurs when I creating character. If I choose none hairstyle then error pops up from another items.
OWHorus
Grandmaster Poster

Post by OWHorus »

n3k wrote:The problem occurs when I creating character. If I choose none hairstyle then error pops up from another items.
Question 1: Do you have an itemdesc.cfg file? Should be in config. The item 0xe75 is a backpack and the item 0x203b is a hair model. Both need an entry in an itemdesc.cfg file.
Another idea: Did you use uoconvert.exe before running the core? Consult uoconvert.txt, especially the first 3 steps:
uoconvert multis
copy multis.cfg config <<<<<<<<!
uoconvert tiles
copy tiles.cfg config <<<<<<<<!
uoconvert landtiles
copy landtiles.cfg config <<<<<<<<!
(You seem to have done the remaining steps, or the core would nor run, AFAIK). But the 3 steps above - if you forget to copy the files to config directory, then the core could have garbage or no information about items.
If your tiles.cfg is wrong, this could be the reason for your problems.

Question 2: Are the entrys for these two items correct? 0xe75 is a container, and should be defined as documented here: http://docs.polserver.com/pol099/config ... emdesc.cfg
The hair model is very simple, but must be defined in an itemdesc.cfg. We use config/itemdesc.cfg:
Item 0x203b
{
Name HAIR_SHORT
Desc kurzes Haar%
VendorSellsFor 10
}

Question 3: Do you have an OnCreate script? (http://docs.polserver.com/pol099/script ... eateScript)
Leave it empty so no start equipment is created until you solve the problem. (You can rename it, or insert a return immediately after the start, so it does nothing.

From your description you seem to be unable to create a character and unable to log in. This looks like a severe misconfiguration, missing files or something similar. Should be easy to find. Try to isolate the problem by checking all things which are equipped. All the items in you log above can be equipped. I think you have no or a wrong tiles.cfg, since the core complains about items, which can be equipped normally.

Hope this helps

OWHorus
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

The Hair/Beard dont have to be defined in itemdesc.

This sounds more like a problem where your tiles.cfg is corrputed or missing, so reconvert your tiles.cfg using uoconvert.
0xE75 is the default backpack and afaik even that doesnt have to be defined to be able to log in.

Another possibility is that you UO install could be corrupted and thats why you have wrong values in tiledata.mul from what tiles.cfg is converted