Feature and requirement question?

Archive of posts related to former distro versions. Be aware that posts here do not refer to the current distro and may not work.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

johanz
New User

Feature and requirement question?

Post by johanz »

Sorry if this is the wrong category. I couldn't decide between this and GD

So anyway, let's start with requirements
1. What version of uo can play? AoS, ML, etc? What patch versions?
2. Approximate server specs for 50-100 players?

About features (sorry for dumb questions, I am new to this emulator)
1. Custom maps, are they possible? Like totally custom ones?
2. House building, does it work like in new versions where you place tiles yourself?
3. What does root version include, and what isn't included. Just want to know, how nude emu looks

That's it for now, if anything comes to mind, I hope I can ask.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Feature and requirement question?

Post by Tomi »

About requirements

1: Its all up to what you want to support in your scripts. there is no hardcoded AOS/ML/other crap in the core that forces you to use a certain uo version.
Pol 098 supports up to 6.0.14.1, and the next subrelease 098.2 will support the latest 6.0.14.2. So ALL patches are supported.

2: This I let someone else answer.

About Features

1: Yes Custom maps are possible, and even other sizes of maps than OSI supports so answer is YES.

2: Its implemented in the core but not 100% finished yet.

3: about 90% of your shard is handled by scripts ( even more if you choose to override core stuff ), There are many scriptsets even here on the forums, take a look the Custom Script Releases forum. So there is probably some that you can start to work with also :)

The latest official Pol Distro ( for Pol versions 097 & 098 ) are not completed, and for now unsure when they will be that also.
johanz
New User

Post by johanz »

Tomi wrote: The latest official Pol Distro ( for Pol versions 097 & 098 ) are not completed, and for now unsure when they will be that also.
I understand that, a good software is never complete, but what were you trying to say? Is it bad to use?
Would it be possible to make trees "dynamic". Not baked into map, but so they could be removed or placed somewhere else ingame?
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

The Pol Script Distribution called Distro was going to be rewritten totally, but unfinished.
Last complete Distro is from version 095, but this has nothing to do with the Pol Core itself and as I said there are alot scriptbases converted into 098.

About the trees, there is only 1 way to do that without a custom client.

Add the trees as items not in the static, this is not due to emulator stuff, this is because how the UO client is coded.
johanz
New User

Post by johanz »

Tomi wrote: About the trees, there is only 1 way to do that without a custom client.
Add the trees as items not in the static, this is not due to emulator stuff, this is because how the UO client is coded.
And what if used with custom client? Is there one?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

you can do it with legacy client, by removing all the trees etc from the statics. Not sure i'd recommend it though, that's a lot of items, hehe
johanz
New User

Post by johanz »

Removing trees is not a problem, since I am going to use custom map anyway.
Salinaksm
New User

Post by Salinaksm »

johanz
What I think MuadDib meant was that, by making your trees dynamic, it would make your world item count huge. On an average map with a few forests, if your trees are all dynamic you would be looking at several thousand 'top level' items with just the trees alone. Every top level item then has to be read by the server and sent to the client as the player moves from area to area.
I'm not sure any emulator dev team would ever recommend what you are talking about.
What you are wanting, too do, can be done, but is not recommended to be done. If you do the trees like you are talking about, you are going to need some serious hardware to pull it off, with minimal problems.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

You'll need a bit of hardware but POL itself is pretty low profile. What you will need though is a great connection because all of those items need to be sent to the client every time they fall within the client's radius. Also, if players log out within that sea of items, they could be stuck and not be able to log back in.