Moderator: POL Developer

*Edwards
Forum Regular

Complete Auction System

Post by *Edwards »

Enjoy!

That is a very comon auction system.

This can be easily used with POL099.

The process is secure and there is no risk for duping gold or items.
Attachments
auction.zip
Final Version: Auction
(23.02 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
gundamwing84
Grandmaster Poster

Re: Complete Auction System

Post by gundamwing84 »

oooh shiney and new :o

thanks edwards ill be sure to check it out!
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

Any suggestions for it?

Anyone is using it hehe?
gundamwing84
Grandmaster Poster

Post by gundamwing84 »

sorry edwards, havnt tested it out/used it yet as im concentrating on housing on my shard atm, but as soon as i do ill let ya know :) from what ive seen while looking through it it should work nicely :D
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Sorry, I would gladly test it but we're still on 096 :/
atreiu
Grandmaster Poster

Post by atreiu »

*Edwards seems like you forgot to add in archive the auctioner.src

edited:
work well but 20% of code should be done by user self =)
Joey
New User

Post by Joey »

love u ed your system work reallllly well but ! exemple ; if you try to put in auction ressource like 60,000 k of raw fish. it only put 1 raw fish in auction and the rest disaper XD lol :)
yayafan
Novice Poster

Post by yayafan »

Hello,

Can anyone send me the auctioner.src ?

It's not included in the zip file.

Thanks!
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

That's because they replaced the official distro with some 'new' files.

See if the file on https://github.com/polserver/Distro/tre ... scripts/ai is working.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Doesn't change the fact that the original post titled "Complete" auction system, doesn't actually contain the AI for the NPC defined in the config files within the zip file supplied.

Regardless of if they were running the "offical" distro or not the AI scripts should have probably been supplied as an example or document that people could follow to adjust their own AI to be able to actually operate the auction system. :bacondance: But that's just my opinion.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I second DevGib's opinion. All those in favour say "Aye".
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

*Edwards wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 am That's because they replaced the official distro with some 'new' files.
I am curious why it was not included in this when this was posted? It is called "Complete Auction System" after all.

As for why the "official distro" was replaced, it was cause there was a slew of people who had issues with it, getting it to run. Compiling kicked errors, things were misdefined such as the intrinsic weapon and shield which let's be honest someone new to POL would have trouble hunting down and fixing without external help and if you need help to initially get the distro running out of the gate, then what you have is a shard for someone a little more knowledgeable then someone just starting out and is thus, not very much of a distro.

as for the some 'new' files comment, it compiles, it is basic but the distro was never meant to be an all inclusive shard with extensive custom stuff in it, unless I missed the point of what the distro was originally. Sure, perhaps certain things could be done better and things could be tightened up but it is a basic starter shard that can be improved and added upon. Not everyone wants a class system, 4 custom spell systems, dragon eggs that hatch, npcs named "a noobie" and a ton of other custom things.

It is a great set of scripts I use it right now, just a bit much for the average newcomer to get their head around with MOST npcs not having sound or graphic animations defined thus they stand there, appearing to do nothing, this issue still plagues me to this day to be honest and I am unsure if i want to just wipe all the npcs out and start afresh or not. Then there is the issue with the archer npcs, you can not get close enough to kill them, but I digress.
--------
The auctioner script is not in the "official distro" as that is what I am running and I just dropped in the auction pkg, compiled and logged in and the file is missing so I am not even sure if it was in there, I know I did not delete it, I haven't trudged much into the brainai package as I have been dreading that.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Ok. I have to also add that the Edwards' "distro" wouldn't even compile when it was given to us. There were at least 2 files that I remember having to fix just to get it to compile and that was about a year after it was first posted. Plus all you have to do is look in the Old Distros forum to see the numerous complaints or at least posts for help about it. I think Edwards is a competent programmer in eScript but the product he gave us was unfinished and not functional. I assume he started it with grand intentions as Fantasia shard but never completed it for whatever reason. Then he gave it to the POL community with the implication that it was a working shard which it clearly was not. I also have a problem with the removal of the valuable documentation in comment headers that Austin included with the 0.98 Distro, which Edwards' clearly drew upon for his base, and there was no attribution paid to Austin or the other developers of the 0.98 Distro in the package cfg files or the script comments.

About the replacement of his scripts, I believe I handled the replacement of the "distro" with the Official Distro fairly. I had mentioned to Nando a year previous to the replacement that I had converted the 0.95 Distro to handle the enhancements to POL since POL 0.96 was released. He suggested that I add that to the repo as the Distro_Alt and gave me commit access. So I did. I know that hurt Edwards' feelings but I was asked to post it.

There had been discussions about replacing Edwards' scripts with the Distro_Alt several months prior to me being added as the Distro leader. I admit I think I proposed the replacement. I felt that it was better to have a server that worked, albeit the gumps and many of the systems could be improved and written using more modern techniques but it at least compiled right out of the box and the AI worked and except for snooping and stealing all the skills worked. Those were not implemented in the 0.95 Distro either.

Anyway, even after I became the Distro leader I was hesitant to replace Edwards' scripts because I understood it would further hurt him and there were devs trying to get them working but the "cries for help" kept coming. So I asked Nando for permission to replace it with the Distro_Alt. He gave me the approval but even then I wanted to know how the POL community felt so I posted a poll. The results surprised even me. There was not 1 (one) no vote. So I replaced Edwards' scripts with the scripts previously known as the Distro_Alt.

I apologize to Edwards if he feels hurt by what transpired but POL deserves a working Distro and what he gave us, unfortunately, was not. He could have made it work but for whatever reason chose not to. I understand people move on but if you have a car that doesn't run you should at least tell the person you are giving it to that it's broken. If he had done that with his scripts we at least would have known that it did not work.
yayafan
Novice Poster

Post by yayafan »

*Edwards wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:57 am That's because they replaced the official distro with some 'new' files.

See if the file on https://github.com/polserver/Distro/tre ... scripts/ai is working.
I will try this one, thank you!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

The auctioneer there will work with the current Distro because that is where the link points to, the AI scripts inside the Distro repository. I make no promises about it working with any other set of scripts.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Yukiko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 pm I had mentioned to Nando a year previous to the replacement that I had converted the 0.95 Distro to handle the enhancements to POL since POL 0.96 was released. He suggested that I add that to the repo as the Distro_Alt and gave me commit access. So I did. I know that hurt Edwards' feelings but I was asked to post it.
Yukiko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 pm So I asked Nando for permission to replace it with the Distro_Alt. He gave me the approval but even then I wanted to know how the POL community felt so I posted a poll.
So its Nando's fault?
Yukiko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 pm I understand people move on but if you have a car that doesn't run you should at least tell the person you are giving it to that it's broken.
Don't buy a Saab!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yeah it's all Nando's fault :)
If I'd had Turley in my Skype contacts we might be able to blame him too. :)
It's actually my "fault" because I spent the month or so converting the 0 95 Distro for 0.96 and then updating it to 0.99. How foolish to want a working set of scripts. :)
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

I agree with all your points. I would have done some things differently, still I've learned all from scratch and I was young...
yayafan
Novice Poster

Post by yayafan »

The auctioneer.src can't be used with this "complete auction system", I will try to write a new one by myself.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thank you Edwards. I have to admit I was upset because the scripts didn't work or even compile but I also understand being "young" even though I am older I remember being young. I meant what I said about you being a competent programmer in eScript. I apologize for sometimes posting "angry" posts but it was frustrating for me, and others, trying to get the scripts to work.

You are welcome anytime to help with the current Distro. It definitely needs updating. Just PM? me if you are interested.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

yayafan wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 pm The auctioneer.src can't be used with this "complete auction system", I will try to write a new one by myself.
The auctioneer AI for the Distro ia complete auction system though I confess that I never played on a shard that had the NPC in the game world and I haven't had time to play with it to see how good it is. It is integrated into the Distro though so I don't know how easy it is to just pill out and drop into a script set that differs from the Distro such as World of Dreams or Zulu scripts.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

I can't locate the auctioneer AI in the edwards distro either :(
Edwards if you're free I'd love for you to jump on discord to have a chat.
Link is in the chat/irc tab of the main website.
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

Yukiko, here are some explanations that I though would be necessary considering all the work done by previous developpers including but not limited to Austin.

At first, I didn't develop my profect to be the Official Distro. That's why I took off all the comments from scripts. Today, I understand the value of such efforts that was put to describe all and every functions... Mainly, I didn't take that into consideration. Sorry.

Also, maybe some changes to the core files were causing conflicts because at the time I was active, the files were compiling correctly. All was running fine on my end with 30-40 active players...

Now, yes I'd love coming back, but time is missing!

To answer the first question: the auctionneer.src should be found within the AI pkg ( the one from my project ).

Edit: I will try to obtain an updated from my ex-Partner.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I looked in the Fantasia 2011 release that was posted and I downloaded and didn't find it there in the BrainAI folder. If it is there it isn't named auctioneer or anything that starts with the letters "auc". Maybe it is named a French word for auctioneer?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Edwards wrote:
Now, yes I'd love coming back, but time is missing!
I certainly understand that.