new logs dont work protection

Post your Custom Scripts or Packages.

Moderator: POL Developer

westrupp
Adept Poster

new logs dont work protection

Post by westrupp »

i created new logs and ores, my mining and blacksmithy scripts work with full properties of ores but my new logs dont have special properties with carpentry like FreeAction and PermPoisonImmunity...what i making wrong?

Thanks...
Last edited by westrupp on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You'd have to post the scripts for people to see in order to help you. Also, this post probably should be in the "Scripting Help" forum.
westrupp
Adept Poster

Post by westrupp »

C:\pol\pkg\std\lumberjacking\itemdesc.cfg

Code: Select all

Item 0x7301
{
	Name		butterflylog
	Desc		butterfly log%s
	Graphic		0x1bdd
	Color		590
	VendorSellsFor	10
	VendorBuysFor	4
	HarvestDiff	55
	HarvestChance	120
	Weight		1/4
}
C:\pol\pkg\std\carpentry\carpentry.cfg

Carpentry 0x7301
{
	Name		Butterfly
	Difficulty	148
	Quality		4.5
	CProp   FreeAction 1
}
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Your crafting scripts are where the properties get transferred from the material to the crafted item. Just putting a CProp on an item in the itemdesc file does nothing. In your crafting script you'd look for the CProps and if they are there then you would transfer or set a CProp on the item crafted. Something like this:

if(GetObjProperty(material), "Freeaction") == 1)
     SetObjProperty(created_item, "Freeaction", 1);
endif
Then depending on how the item is used will determine where you actually make use of the CProp you placed on it. Let's assume for a moment you created a magic rune that when double clicked would be used to perform the freeaction effect. In the magic rune's use script you'd have something like this:

if(GetObjProperty(rune, "Freeaction") == 1)
     // Place the freeaction code in here
endif
If you were adding the CProp to an equippable item you'd probably place the checks for the custom propertyin the equip script for the item.

This would not usually be the case for weapons. If you were wanting to create a lighting effect when a weapon hits something based on a property then that would go in the wepon's hit script where you'd look for the custom property and take the approprisate action or you could create a special hit script for each custom CProp. The standard Distro hitscripts are designed to read the item for custom hit scripts I believe. You'd have to study the hitscripts to learn how that is done.
westrupp
Adept Poster

Post by westrupp »

good idea, but i think theses scripts dont work...
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

There's no way for me to tell if they work because I don't know which scripts you are using. You might need to add the protections/effects yourself. SOme of the basic scripts that came with POL 0.95 Distro didn't do much in the way of adding effects/protections.
westrupp
Adept Poster

Post by westrupp »

i have pol093
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

POL 0.93 is no longer supported.

I assume you are running some old version of ZH scripts since that's usually the only reason people cling to an outdated version of POL. Whatever the reason I suggest you upgrade to a newer version of POL and convert those scripts or start over with a Distro written under POL 0.95 or better.
Tritan
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Tritan »

It never ceases to amaze me that people are using such old cores. With the problems that have been addressed in the newer cores and the expanded functions available it is a real good idea to update/start with a newer core.

Given the amount of changes that would be required going from 093 to even 095 I would suggest starting with a distro script set and work from that.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I can tell you from my experience if you are running anything less than POL 0.96 you are cheating yourself. If only for the improved terrain and map handling system. As far as I can tell the new methods used for the maps are virtually bug free. And that's just a very minor thing. There's tons of other improvements/features besides.

It's not that hard to add stuff from the old scripts. The real issue is we want it all without doing the time in the school of learning. I think we were all that way in the beginning or most of us. We saw a script set that had cool stuff so we ran with it. Then we encountered some issue that was way beyond our ability to fix so we turned to the handy dandy trusty dusty POL forums and got some help but mostly people told us what we are telling others; learn to script so you can create all those cool scripts.

Westrupp you are going to have to either convert those old ones to a current POL or start out with a current or more recent Distro and modify it to your desired needs. Either way it's going to require you to learn how the scripts work together with each other. You're probably going to have to spend many hours just reading and tracing what they do. Trust me, we all had to do it at one time or another and it's frustrating and boring at times but believe me when you do get to the point where you see how things are done you'll be happy because by then you'll know your scripts and you'll be able to make changes easier and with less headaches.