Say hello

Get Help on scripting in POL with configurations, config setups, script trouble shooting, etc.

Moderator: POL Developer

Trike
Journeyman Poster

Re: Say hello

Post by Trike »

ThisIsMe wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am Well I'm not really sure what's going on in that screen shot, I have seen a similar skill book in WoD or Sanctuary and those were I know for a fact always made available for public use. So there'd be no issues with using those,the issue being that for what you're looking to do I don't believe which ever shard I originally saw it on (we're going back circa 2003) I don't recall having a class system.

I will point out that as a player I was and have never been a fan of shards that use a secondary skill tracker, unless you're planning on doing something spectacular beyond just listing the character's class and a few other fiddly sentences, I'd shy away from it, it's one more added thing you really do not need when the client's skill gump works fine.

In terms of who owns what code wise, I'm not sure how anyone can tell from a screen shot of an in game image if that is 100% theirs and if that's not something that can be proven, chalk it up to imitation being the best form of flattery.

I'll if I remember tonight look into the old Sanctuary scripts tonight see if I can find their book script. I have no specs on what type of class system you want nor do I know exactly what this book is supposed to be doing, replace skill journal gump or used in tandem to display additional information. If you can give me a clear idea on the type of class system you want I won't promise anything but I might be interested in taking on your class system. No promises as it'll just depend on how in depth it is and I need clear direction. If however you want a class system that's different, I'm going to throw this out there, I might be willing to release my class system I wrote a couple years ago based on but slightly different to Pangaea Class System.

The way I wrote it makes adding, changing or otherwise altering a class' skill list very easy and while not 100% complete, there's only a few things I'd need to finish.
And I really appreciate the kind response to my message, thanks.
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

I might have found exactly or something very close to what you're looking for in the forums, ironically posted by Harley so I can pkg this up for you tonight when I get home and you should be able to drop it in.

I'd still suggest dropping the skill book OR instead of it being a dot command, have your skill book appear when the player clicks the skills button on his paperdoll.

Additionally work might be doable to make the gump "update" on skill change (gain or loss) but it just depends on how you want to do it. Unfortunately it's written currently under 095 but shouldn't be too big of a deal to update it to a later core IF that's all that needs to be updated.

Anyway I'll get back to you later tonight, at work for the next 5 hours.
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

So if you could tell me if you have a classes.inc file in /scripts/include/ in your main folder and could send me a copy of it I can compare the two to see if we are dealing with roughly the same class system here. I am certain it is but want to compare the differences.

This is the shard I have found that might have if not the class system you are looking for a very similar one to what you are looking for. I know absolutely nothing about Zulu Hotel class systems and when I started scripting again I used fantasia as the base and completely stripped out the class system there to write my own which is very different to the ZH class systems.

You can grab that actually and compare the two classes.inc files, they should be located in /scripts/include/
Trike
Journeyman Poster

Post by Trike »

ThisIsMe wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 pm So if you could tell me if you have a classes.inc file in /scripts/include/ in your main folder and could send me a copy of it I can compare the two to see if we are dealing with roughly the same class system here. I am certain it is but want to compare the differences.

This is the shard I have found that might have if not the class system you are looking for a very similar one to what you are looking for. I know absolutely nothing about Zulu Hotel class systems and when I started scripting again I used fantasia as the base and completely stripped out the class system there to write my own which is very different to the ZH class systems.

You can grab that actually and compare the two classes.inc files, they should be located in /scripts/include/
You never came back)) as you can write to me, thanks
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

I'll take a look at the files you sent me. Was busy over the weekend.

I'm not sure how this class system works and in terms of actually writing something beyond a class system that's a no, I'm a scripter for another shard and I'm working on that to update a lot of it's many systems and skills while keeping intact the shard as it is live so I'm having to do extra work to ensure various issues don't arise with my major updates.