Season handling

Get Help on scripting in POL with configurations, config setups, script trouble shooting, etc.

Moderator: POL Developer

sin
New User

Season handling

Post by sin »

Hello,
I'm looking for help with proper season handling.
I've figured out that POL sends a packet 0xBC to logged character to make client show requested season. The issue is I cannot really find how and where graphic changes are managed. As far as I know tree leaves are changed by tiledata.mul with foliage flag, but there also some other statics/art changes that I can't make to behave the way I'd like to. For instance 0xC9E changes to 0xD3F at fall only, and I would like to know how it's done. Could anyone be so kind and give me a piece of advice?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Season handling

Post by Yukiko »

I suspect this is hard coded within the client but maybe someone knows better.
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

I am also interested on this.
On our shard, the snow tiles are very ugly and and it would be nice to find a way to fix them.

Sadly, I have no useful info to add to this thread.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

bodom wrote:I am also interested on this.
On our shard, the snow tiles are very ugly and and it would be nice to find a way to fix them.

Sadly, I have no useful info to add to this thread.
Yes. The snow tiles are a real issue. You can RP only so much but when the "world" is ugly or the graphics are a patchwork of oddly placed tiles it does get in the way of enjoying the game.
Zik
Novice Poster

Post by Zik »

Yes, everything is hardcoded. On our shard we've made custom art.mul for winter, with all winter graphics. If it's winter on server, client uses modified art.mul.

http://i.imgur.com/Dr9majP.jpg
bodom
Former Developer

Post by bodom »

I understand it is hardcoded, but do you have more details? If I open the files with UO Fiddler, I can't find the winter tiles.

Where are they?
Zik
Novice Poster

Post by Zik »

Edit textures, write on them their ids, and you'll find out.
To find season changable tiles it's better to use Centrad, draw a map with all items you are interested in and change seasons (0-4). If they don't change you can replace initial tileart id with winter graphics.

Here is an example of textures for winter and summer - http://imgur.com/899gEaM
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

I understand it is hardcoded, but do you have more details? If I open the files with UO Fiddler, I can't find the winter tiles.

Where are they?
There is a table directly in client which tells what to change based on the season information it get when receiving the packet from server.
I looked into this a long time ago, and without a good knowledge how to edit the client.exe itself on assembly level using a dissambeler I say either make a custom map/statics mul for winter ( this is the way OSI handles it on their servers nowadays aswell, just requires you to send it to all players every winter ) or leave it be.