Need some help..

Get Help on scripting in POL with configurations, config setups, script trouble shooting, etc.

Moderator: POL Developer

Nixroc
New User

Need some help..

Post by Nixroc »

I'm wanting to make a gate that leads to an area for new players can go and there is weak monsters for them to kill and train their skills on. But i'm wanting the gate to read their skills and if they have any skill over say 70.1% then they get a system message saying they are to experienced to enter this area, if i make sense of what I'm asking to do..
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Need some help..

Post by Tomi »

so actually it seems like you want to create somekind of newbie dugeon.

- for the gate and moving with it ( check teleporter or moongate scripts from some ready scriptbase )
and in the gate you can easily add some check for skills ( just take a look at some skillscript to see how its checked )
- and if you dont know how to send a sysmessage to a player, I ask you to read the docs.

My advice for you is to try make this script, and then if you have problems while creating it you can ask here. This is not to be rude or anything, but script like this is very simple and good practice. And that also the reason why I wont give you the full code for this script, just point you in the correct direction where you can look for answers.
Damien White
Journeyman Poster

Post by Damien White »

Another option might also to be to post an advertisement for scripters to join your shard. Make sure you post in the right forum.
Nixroc
New User

Post by Nixroc »

Thanks Tomi, i have the basic part of it done, a bit of a noob when it does come to find scripts of where to look or what script i should e.g the Scriptskill you suggested. Tested and the part i have done complies and works, but i think there could be a bug with it 'cause after i compile it a file creates *.dbg

Code: Select all

use uo;
use os;

include "include/client";

program WalkOnScript( who )

MoveCharacterToLocation(who, 5300, 1483,   0, MOVECHAR_FORCELOCATION);

endprogram
Damien.
Journeyman Poster

Post by Damien. »

.dbg files are always created unless you disabled their 'creation-function'.. so .dbg files does not means there is a bug :)
Nixroc
New User

Post by Nixroc »

ahk, thanxs :)
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Just make sure when doing something like making a gate script from scratch to include some check to make sure if they are being teleported on top of another gate (like the gate back), that they won't be immediately teleported back. The default gate scripts on your shard should have some example of this.
Nixroc
New User

Post by Nixroc »

Thanxs for the tip CWO i'll keep that in mind ;)
*Edwards
Forum Regular

Post by *Edwards »

You can get exemples of what you are trying to do in the official distro release 097 in pkg/items/moongates . Once you created your gate in-game you also have the chance to setup the coords where you want the player to be teleported.