Okay..

Get Help on scripting in POL with configurations, config setups, script trouble shooting, etc.

Moderator: POL Developer

Breg
New User

Okay..

Post by Breg » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:22 pm

So, I am hosting a friendly community shard and I've gotten alot of complaints about pvp/pk looting and robbing.
So what Im hoping for was alittle help from the people here to help me with my horrid problem. What im looking for is a way to make the victim less scared after a robbery and to keep them from whining and leaving. Perhaps a way to have a gump appear after a player kill asking "Do you wish to rob this corpse?" Yes/No, Yes will auto transfer all the gold and two random items from the corpse. Can someone please tell me if this is even possible and if anyone is up for the challenge of helping me?

runtest
Grandmaster Poster

Re: Okay..

Post by runtest » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:54 pm

No that will not help. People are whining and leaving because they are lazy and have not invested enough time into the shard. Let characters remain newbied for a length of time and have the title newbie. When a newbie dies they keep everything in their pack. Make it a substantial amount of time. Doing this will "trick" the players into setting up a long term relationship with the shard. Make there a good prize like a bank check or something once their newbie status expires on each character.

Also make sure that the guard depots and forest have healers, again so they do not whine. At the first sign of trouble they usually leave.

The idea is a solid one. Get the players to invest a good deal of time making it "easy", then nail them with the actual game and give them full benefits. Happy hunting.

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:05 am

Breg you are facing the same age-old problem that all of us faced when starting our shards. How to keep players happy.

First, let me say don't beat your head against the wall over this one too much. There are a number of ways to create a 'safe' environment for new players, everything from safe zones where guards roam all over to providing training areas where players are safe from PVP but can fight ever-increasing difficulty NPCs.

RunTest has a pretty good idea too.

You might want to have the removal of the 'newbie' tag based on their fighting/defensive skills along with time they have been on the shard. That is if you are not using a class system that limits your players from having fighting/defensive skills. I could envision a scenario where a "new" player would abuse the system by building their fighting skills rapidly and then while having the newbie tag still on their character going around and killing older non-newbied players with no way for them to retaliate. You could monitor the fighting skills and once say two of their offensive, swordsmanship, macing etc. and maybe tactics and parrying reach a certain level (80% maybe) then no matter how 'old' the player is he/she would lose the 'newbie' tag or if the time limit is reached than they lose the tag as normal.

I will tell you that you will need to get used to the whiners. Just look at our posts on the forums to the developers.
: )
We all whine and it seems that players on 'free' shards whine more than most.

Once you decide on a method if you need help with your scripts we'll help.

Good luck.

Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Perhaps a way to have a gump appear after a player kill asking "Do you wish to rob this corpse?" Yes/No, Yes will auto transfer all the gold and two random items from the corpse. Can someone please tell me if this is even possible and if anyone is up for the challenge of helping me?
To answer your main question: yes it is.
You may want to look at the chrdeath.src script and of course the loot script of corpses, whatever it is called on your server. Look at the itemdesc.cfg entry for a corpse:

Code: Select all

Container 0x2006
{
    Name                Corpse
    Gump                0x0009
    MinX                20
    MaxX                80
    MinY                85
    MaxY                165
    RequiresAttention   0
    MaxItems            70
    MaxWeight           450
    DecayOnMultis       1
    SaveOnExit          0
    CanRemoveScript     ::aNameForTheLootScriptIsHere
}

You can script whatever you want there. Including the ideas of runtest and Yukiko.