I need some input on dyeable furniture, specifically bookshelves.

This forum is for general questions and comments about shard development that are not related directly to scripting. Topics can be related to map making and editing, adding new tile art and gump art, role play (RP) style versus non RP style shards or any topic about general shard development.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

I need some input on dyeable furniture, specifically bookshelves.

Post by Yukiko »

I am fixing and updating the furniture dye tub script and furniture that can be dyed.

The issue of dying furniture didn't pose a problem until it came to bookshelves.
First, let me explain how the bookshelves work in the Distro. When a book is put in an empty bookshelf, the OnInsert script is supposed to change the graphic of that bookshelf to a random graphic of a "filled" bookshelf. I had to correct a mistake in the OnInsert and OnRemove scripts that prevented this from happening but now it does what it is supposed to do.

Anyway, the dying issue is that bookshelves are not a partial hue item. So the entire color of the bookshelf, including the books on a filled bookshelf, are dyed as well.

Before dying:
undyed.jpg
undyed.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 7510 times
After dying:
dyed.jpg
dyed.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 7510 times
I haven't decided whether to make them dyeable or not. So I thought I would elicit some input from other developers.
Should bookshelves be able to be dyed?
Nando
POL Developer

Re: I need some input on dyeable furniture, specifically bookshelves.

Post by Nando »

It looks fine to me. Like someone rebound new spines to match the furniture ;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

:D
So, I assume you would say "yes" to being able to dye bookshelves.

Does anyone else care to share your opinion? The Distro is a community effort after all.
kevin
POL Developer

Post by kevin »

I personally think it looks weird... but that means that _I_ wouldn't dye my bookshelves. I don't think it hurts anyone to have them dyeable, but players would definitely gripe if it is _not_ dyeable. My two cents :)
AsYlum
Grandmaster Poster

Post by AsYlum »

Maybe I got used to it but years ago we've had custom log colors and furniture was dyed after log color. Bookshelves too.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

kevin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:16 am I personally think it looks weird... but that means that _I_ wouldn't dye my bookshelves. I don't think it hurts anyone to have them dyeable, but players would definitely gripe if it is _not_ dyeable. My two cents :)
I do too. I suppose I could make them dyeable and leave it up to the players. On man's weird is another man's nice. Also, mark-up doesn't work on phpBB forums. Have you forgotten your BBCode? :D
AsYlum wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:45 am Maybe I got used to it but years ago we've had custom log colors and furniture was dyed after log color. Bookshelves too.
Now that you mention it, the same issue would apply to bookshelves made from custom coloured logs. Hmmm. I guess whether they are dyeable or not is a moot point. I may as well make them dyeable.