Attempting to make LAN server

If your problem is with a specific version of the distro or core, look below. If you are unsure, this is your place.
Murdernator
New User

Attempting to make LAN server

Post by Murdernator »

Hi there I am an absolute noob and/or idiot when it comes to UO emulators. I am, however, attempting to create a server with zuluhotel scripts to play on a local network with some friends. I have created the basic server using the tutorial found in these forums and discovered how to spawn decorations/npcs etc. I would like to implement the scripts from existing shard files catalogued on zuluhotel archives but as soon as I try to run the Pol after copying those scripts to the folder there are a myriad of error messages. How can I set up a basic zulu hotel shard?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Attempting to make LAN server

Post by Yukiko »

I can tell you that many of the Zulu Hotel scripts I have seen were written under POL 093. That version of Pol is about 18 years old and many changes were made to the POL Core, pol.exe, since that time. Any scripts from before POL 096 require a good amount of updating to make them compatible with the current official release, POl 099.1. There is no clear and concise guide for updating older scripts. Usually, if you ask how to update them you will be told to read core-changes.txt. That is THE source for changes to the Core over the years but, for the newcomer to scripting, might not be as straightforward as a tutorial. I had intended to work on an introductory tutorial but I already have a lot of things to do.

Here are my suggestions for getting started if you are already familiar with eScript:
1. If you can find out what version of POL the scripts were written for that will help.

2. Look back through the core-changes.txt file that is in the main POL directory to the version of POL your scripts were written to run under and read through the changes that were made in later versions. UIsually, any changes to scripts that need to be made are noted in the core-changes. In the core-changes, the latest version is at the top. Older versions are listed beneath the latest version.

3. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them on the forums.

I hope that will get you started.
Murdernator
New User

Post by Murdernator »

I will attempt those things, thanks a lot
Murdernator
New User

Post by Murdernator »

Sorry for this potentially inane question but while im in game on the admin account, or any character, the avatar is barely able to move a few tiles before being stopped by invisible walls, is there something obvious im overlooking thats causing this?

is there some kind of 'ready to go' zulu hotel file package somewhere?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Did you follow my tutorial for getting POL up and running?
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6225
If so then you should have created all the necessary files to navigate in game. I assume you are using POL version 99.1 or POL 100. Both versions are compatible with my tutorial
What client version are you using?
Murdernator
New User

Post by Murdernator »

Redid the whole tutorial, i can walk now. Tried implementing ZHT2A files and when running POL the cmd prompt gets stuck here:

Script pkg/systems/brainAI/scripts/init/generic.ecl running..151
Script pkg/systems/brainAI/scripts/init/generic.ecl running..1009
Script pkg/systems/brainAI/scripts/init/generic.ecl running..907
Script pkg/systems/brainAI/scripts/init/generic.ecl running..486

and the client is stuck at verifying account when attempting to logon
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I don't remember BrainAI being part of the Zulu Hotel scripts originally. We have seen problems with the BrainAI system with other servers. Whether it is with the actual system or the way it was implemented in those servers I cannot say. I would suggest contacting the person who made the ZHT2A scripts available and see if they had any issues similar to yours.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

One issue is that BrainAI appeared to be consuming a lot of script cycles which caused the server to run very slow. As I said before, I don't know if this is the BrainAI system or the way it was implemented in the server. If the server is bogged down running BrainAI that could prevent you from logging into the server.