POL 100 Roadmap.

Here you can post threads on the development of the current release of the core (100)

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

POL 100 Roadmap.

Post by Yukiko »

As no one else had the desire to post this, obviously if they had it would have been posted already, :) I decided to post a roadmap for POL 100.

Here are the items I gleaned from an earlier thread with some more that came to mind:

1. The coin amounts not showing up in the secure trading gump.
Tomi provided hint of where to check for insight into this:
"...that new tradewindow with platinum currency was released on 11 september 2015 together with 18th anniversary stuff. I would look into feature bits for a9 or b9 packets to enable ut. No idea about clientversions because havent been following uo development for a long time.
2. The additional status items, reduced mana cost, reduced reagent cost, etc. DevGiB is working on these but I have listed it here for completeness.

4. The elevation of the luck member to UOObject and the addition of a luck_mod r/w member to UOObject. I think this was added to DevGib's list as well.

5. Support for galleons and right-click boat movement. Some, probably more than I want to think about, of the galleon support will need to be script supported. Kevin is working on this but I added it for completeness.

6. Making eCompile's error messages more understandable and less cryptic. I will be starting a thread for this. I want our community to contribute their "favourite" cryptic error messages received from eCompile :)

7. POL creates the accounts.txt and pol.txt on start if those files do not already exist in the /pol/data directory. We should not have to ship those files in the Distro or the Core releases. If accounts.txt does not exist POL should query the user in the console for the admin username and password and create the accounts.txt file setting that account to the highest command level, "test", and set the UOExpansion to TOL, the latest expansion that POL currently "supports".

Code: Select all

DefaultCmdLevel	test
	UOExpansion	TOL
pol.txt should be set to initial values for a new server whatever those are. I do not think this feature should be hard to add.

8. In the console if pol.txt and accounts.txt do not exist and it takes the above actions and creates them have it ask the user if they would like to download the Distro. If they respond affirmatively then POL would download the Distro, unzip it in the /pol directory and compile it. This might not be feasible for POL 100 as I do not know if it even has the ability to download files. So this may become a POL 101 roadmap item. I suspect I will get objections to this but if we want POL to be easier to use adding this to POL will go a long way to that end, as will item 7.

9. I have heard from the Core developers so many times that the source code for POL is "a mess". I am virtually ignorant when it comes to any incarnation of C. So this is just a suggestion. Perhaps the Core developers could take a section of the code, from time to time, and "clean it up". Just do it in small bites. Use the Trello boards to document what you have done so other developers aren't fixing something you might have already fixed. This is only a suggestion and if it is acted upon will probably extend way past the official release of POL 100 but it would be an improvement to POL, at least I gather it would from what I have been told.

10. Native Unicode support. Bodom is currently working on this. From what I understand he has already invested a lot of time in this endeavour.

Feel free to post your suggestions for additional things you feel are lacking from POL. What I am looking for are things for which the official game has support but POL does not. However, if you feel POL could use or would be improved by the addition of some other feature feel free to post it. I will seek out input from the Core developers those items that get posted in this thread that they feel should be in the roadmap and add them to this post.
Nando
POL Developer

Re: POL 100 Roadmap.

Post by Nando »

Thanks Yukiko for summarizing our plans. Another thing on the oven is native Unicode support, which Bodom is working on right now.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: POL 100 Roadmap.

Post by Yukiko »

Added Bodom's work to the list.