Error building from SVN sources

Archive of posts related to former distro versions. Be aware that posts here do not refer to the current distro and may not work.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

xeon
Forum Regular

Error building from SVN sources

Post by xeon »

Hi guys, it's the first time I'm trying to build POL099 from SVN sources.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 Professional on Windows 8.
So far, I've downloaded the trunk sources, opened the 2012.sln solution (By the way, thank you for having already provided the solution for VS2012!) and launched the build process.

I get this error, for 5 projects, among them the pol.exe:

Code: Select all

2>win2kcompat.obj : error LNK2026: module unsafe for SAFESEH image.
2>.\Release/pol.exe : fatal error LNK1281: Unable to generate SAFESEH image.
Suggestions?
Turley
POL Developer

Re: Error building from SVN sources

Post by Turley »

Exclude the win2kcompat.masm from every project. I already have it local but didn't want to commit it till I know if vs 2012 completely dropped win2k support, or if this hack is again unneeded.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Thank you Turley, I excluded it from the projects and I builded successfully.
For those of you wondering how to exclude that file from the building process, it's really simple: expand the five folders of the projects which won't build, locate the win2kcompat.obj file, right click it and click "Exclude from project"

Now I've only to locate a script which will build me an already complete POL server directory with all the required files :D
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Mmm I launched a build of the "dist" projects, but I get these errors:

Code: Select all

1>  	xcopy /I /S /EXCLUDE:..\debug-exclude.lst ..\..\gp\* gp
1>  File not found - *
1>  0 File(s) copied
1>NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\windows\SysWow64\xcopy.EXE' : return code '0x4'
1>  Stop.
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(134,5): error MSB3073: The command "cd C:\Users\cbroglia\data\games\ZHI\ClientZHI\POL099\trunk\pol-core\dist
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(134,5): error MSB3073: mkdist.bat Win32 debug
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(134,5): error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 2.
Suggestions?
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Neverming, I commented a line in makefile.vc, the one related to the "gp" folder.

Now I have a pol-debug-.zip file, which is not the distro. I have to modify the makefile to specify a different build target?
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

The debug-zip is for backup the debug information so you can open crash dumps. That reminds me to also commit this fix, never though someone else would build this :)
The distro scripts have nothing to do with the core, thats why they are not included in the pol core. Its a different repository.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Nono I didn't mean the distro script, I did mean the core pol files :)
Anyway I found how to build the pol core zip file, I modified the properties of the "dist" project, as Build Event, instead of "mkdist.bat <arch> dist" instead of the default line "mkdist.bat <arch> clean". Doing this I did get a pol-core-Win32-.zip file, with the core files I needed. Now I'm happily building a new POL server directory ;)

I am writing a step by step guide on how to build POL in Windows from SVN, in short time I plan to publish it here on the forums.