What edition is the distro being coded for?

Archive of posts related to former distro versions. Be aware that posts here do not refer to the current distro and may not work.

Moderators: POL Developer, Distro Developer

tekproxy
Forum Regular

What edition is the distro being coded for?

Post by tekproxy »

I was doing some more reading at uo stratics and I found out that inscription adds 10% bonus damage to the a few spells spells at grandmaster level. There are quite a few other little "details" like this that are not (at least to my knowledge) in the distro currently.

My question is are these things wanted in the distro? If so I could add them. I noticed some of the spells are not coded yet, which I could also do.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Yeah the distro is mostly aimed at the new OSI stuff.. but also trying to keep it flexible so people can do their own thing as easily as possible.

This distro is being designed so people stop saying
"Well I wanna start a shard.. ill have to do it from the ground up because the distro is a piece of poo."
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I have never thought of the Distro as a piece of poo but I have wanted, now for the sake of others rather than myself, to have more comments and possibly a few examples of how to add special things like ores with elemental properties, custom woods, an example of how to add elemental damage and effects to a metal in the hitscripts and maybe adding special protections to the hitscripts for an ore. Only one example of each need be included.

Copious commenting will go a long way to helping to reduce the number of "how tos" and "what fors" that get posted on the boards. I know commenting is a royal pain in the butt however if you want folks to learn, comments are necessary. Add to good comments/documentation of the source the addition of examples noted above and I think a lot of the "newbie" questions that we see will be reduced.

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks Austin for your work. We really do need you back on the project.
Austin
Former Developer

Post by Austin »

Just to note:
There is a mix of 095 stuff and 096 stuff in there. Im trying to get rid of a lot of the old stuff. Its just floating around so I can 'upgrade' the code.

In the old distros a lot of stuff was designed in a fairly proprietary manner. Look at how the old hit scripts used to work .. one dedicated script for every small change.

Most the new packages have a nice directory style that sorts the scripts inside of them, and another way to tell if something is new is it has a 'config' directory in it with a finished icp.cfg.

The important things do have a 'docs' folder (Ive only done the docs for the brain and gumps so far). Ive been on my own with the distro since like November. When I have a team to work with, I stay a lot more motivated. It just seemed for a while like no one cared.. so I lost interest and turned that energy towards... partying. I only drink on days that end with 'Y'.