Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Sometimes you need to share your knowledge. This is where you can do it. A place for POL and Script guides.
nFz
New User
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:39 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by nFz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Yes, D:\POL Server was the directory name.

ArkNem
New User
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:31 am

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by ArkNem » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 am

Using pol099.1 and Distro-2017-10-15 on OUML client version 4.0.11c

This is the error

"Error loading script pkg/systems/attributes/regen.ecl: Recompile required. Bad v
ersion number 12
Unable to read script 'pkg/systems/attributes/regen.ecl'
Error reading script pkg/systems/attributes/regen.ecl
Error reading configuration file pkg/systems/attributes/config/vitals.cfg:
Export Script pkg/systems/attributes/regen.ecl not found
Element: Vital Life, found on line 2
Server Shutdown: load_vitals_cfg: load_packed_cfgs
Initiating POL Cleanup....
Execution aborted due to: Configuration file error

C:\Users\Casa\Desktop\Pol99>pause
Premere un tasto per continuare . . ."

Can anyone help me? even a Discord support will be appreciate, i'm very naab

Titanium
New User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 09, 2021 4:03 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Titanium » Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 pm

Hi, I am a newbie on create a POLL server I don't have any understand on how it works. As I didnt find any ISO with a game install with client 7+, actually I only find an ISO of AOS.

I download the official classic UO client from https://uo.com/client-download/.
Let it download and upgrade til UO Version 7.0.90.16.

Never create an account or loged in the game I went strait to Pol Configurator.

I followed the guide religioslly step by step, I saw some erros on the way but I doesnt know what they mean.

At the end when I clicked on button Test Launch POL, I got an erro and I have no Idea how to solve, can someone help me?

Code: Select all

INSTALLING: Exported Vital - RegenRate and MaxValue functions ...
Itemdesc has no 'graphic' specified, and no 'objtype' is valid either.
Error reading configuration file pkg/items/runicAtlas/config/itemdesc.cfg:
        Configuration error
        Element: Container 0x9C16, found on line 1
Server Shutdown: load_itemdesc
Initiating POL Cleanup....
Execution aborted due to: Configuration file error

D:\POL>pause

Content of: pkg/items/runicAtlas/config/itemdesc.cfg

Code: Select all

Container 0x9C16
{
	Name					RunicAtlasEW
	Desc					runic atlas
	Movable					1
	Weight					1
	Gump					0x003E
	MinX					40
	MaxX					60
	MinY					20
	MaxY					80
	RequiresAttention		1
 	Script					runicAtlas/use
	MethodScript			runicAtlas/methods
	OnInsertScript  		runicAtlas/onInsert
	CanRemoveScript	        runicAtlas/canRemove
	CProp	%Charges%       d2:S7:chargesi0S11:max_chargesi5
	CProp	%RuneList%      a0:
	CProp	Name            sa runic atlas
}

Container 0x9C17
{
	Name					RunicAtlasNS
	Desc					runic atlas
	Movable					1
	Weight					1
	Gump					0x003E
	MinX					40
	MaxX					60
	MinY					20
	MaxY					80
	RequiresAttention		1
 	Script					runicAtlas/use
	MethodScript			runicAtlas/methods
	OnInsertScript  		runicAtlas/onInsert
	CanRemoveScript	        runicAtlas/canRemove
	CProp	%Charges%       d2:S7:chargesi0S11:max_chargesi5
	CProp	%RuneList%      a0:
	CProp	Name            sa runic atlas
}

Nando
POL Developer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Nando » Fri May 14, 2021 11:57 pm

Titanium wrote: ↑
Thu May 13, 2021 5:32 pm
...

Code: Select all

INSTALLING: Exported Vital - RegenRate and MaxValue functions ...
Itemdesc has no 'graphic' specified, and no 'objtype' is valid either.
Error reading configuration file pkg/items/runicAtlas/config/itemdesc.cfg:
        Configuration error
        Element: Container 0x9C16, found on line 1
Server Shutdown: load_itemdesc
Initiating POL Cleanup....
Execution aborted due to: Configuration file error
...
Hi. First of all, welcome!

Please check MaxObjtype and MaxTileID in pol.cfg. For client 7+, MaxTileID should be 0xFFFF and MaxObjtype should be larger than that (I believe in ClassicDistro it's 0x40000). Those settings tell POL the valid range of graphics for the client.

Also, POL Configurator should have a setting for your client's expansion name. Make sure it's correct.

If neither works, feel free to show up on Discord

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Hello! Great tutorial! I've played UO from 2000 to 2006 and now I just want to have some fun creating a server to my friends.

I've followed the tutorial and got it running, but as I try to login to my account, it never leaves the "Verifying account" screen and in the pol this apears:

GuildManager Loaded
Undefined message type 0x8B
Client#1: Unexpected message type 0x8B, 62 bytes (IP: 127.0.0.1, Account: None)
0000 8b 89 f6 cc 4f 0d ad 77 f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 63 ce ....O..w ..<..8c.
0010 98 b3 26 6c c9 9b b2 26 6c c9 9b b2 a6 ac a9 d8 ..&l...& l.......
0020 5e 18 25 38 b7 fa 06 55 ff 28 f3 86 bc a1 2f e8 ^.%8...U .(..../.
0030 0b fa 82 be 20 6f c8 1b f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 .... o.. ..<..8..

Maybe if I ressearch alitle bit more I can find the solution, but can you help me?

and also how can I create accounts to my friends so they can play?

thanks in advance

Nando
POL Developer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Nando » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 am

strobelartesao wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 pm
[...] it never leaves the "Verifying account" screen and in the pol this apears:

GuildManager Loaded
Undefined message type 0x8B
Client#1: Unexpected message type 0x8B, 62 bytes (IP: 127.0.0.1, Account: None)
0000 8b 89 f6 cc 4f 0d ad 77 f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 63 ce ....O..w ..<..8c.
0010 98 b3 26 6c c9 9b b2 26 6c c9 9b b2 a6 ac a9 d8 ..&l...& l.......
0020 5e 18 25 38 b7 fa 06 55 ff 28 f3 86 bc a1 2f e8 ^.%8...U .(..../.
0030 0b fa 82 be 20 6f c8 1b f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 .... o.. ..<..8..

[...]

and also how can I create accounts to my friends so they can play?
Hi, welcome!

You can create new accounts by adding them to

Code: Select all

data/accounts.txt
. An example is:

Code: Select all

Account
{
	Name <desired_acctname>
	Password <initial_password_in_plaintext>
	Enabled 1
	Banned 0
	UOExpansion SA
}
The error you see is most likely due to an encryption mismatch between the server and client. You can check your uoclient.cfg (https://docs.polserver.com/pol100/confi ... client.cfg) to see which encryption is set. Often you have to use Razor to remove the client encryption.

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:55 am

Thank you very much for the information! It is Probably encryption. The tutorial ask for guaranty it is not encrypted, but I don't know what it means! πŸ˜… I'll try to make it work with razor.

Thanks again for the help

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:08 am

Thank you Nando! I just did it and it still don't work. I think i'll try it again.

The client i'm using is from uo.com

should I try an other one?

Thanks in advance
Nando wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 am
strobelartesao wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:33 pm
[...] it never leaves the "Verifying account" screen and in the pol this apears:

GuildManager Loaded
Undefined message type 0x8B
Client#1: Unexpected message type 0x8B, 62 bytes (IP: 127.0.0.1, Account: None)
0000 8b 89 f6 cc 4f 0d ad 77 f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 63 ce ....O..w ..<..8c.
0010 98 b3 26 6c c9 9b b2 26 6c c9 9b b2 a6 ac a9 d8 ..&l...& l.......
0020 5e 18 25 38 b7 fa 06 55 ff 28 f3 86 bc a1 2f e8 ^.%8...U .(..../.
0030 0b fa 82 be 20 6f c8 1b f2 86 3c e1 8f 38 .... o.. ..<..8..

[...]

and also how can I create accounts to my friends so they can play?
Hi, welcome!

You can create new accounts by adding them to

Code: Select all

data/accounts.txt
. An example is:

Code: Select all

Account
{
	Name <desired_acctname>
	Password <initial_password_in_plaintext>
	Enabled 1
	Banned 0
	UOExpansion SA
}
The error you see is most likely due to an encryption mismatch between the server and client. You can check your uoclient.cfg (https://docs.polserver.com/pol100/confi ... client.cfg) to see which encryption is set. Often you have to use Razor to remove the client encryption.

Nando
POL Developer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Nando » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 am

Weird. Can you post your Listener from uoclient.cfg here? And are you using Razor to remove client encryption?

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 am

Nando wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:25 am
Weird. Can you post your Listener from uoclient.cfg here? And are you using Razor to remove client encryption?
Yes, Of course


Listener none-5003
{
Port 5003
Encryption none
AOSResistances 0
KeepClients 1
}

(is the problem in here?)

And I'm using razor since you told me the encryption could be the problem

Nando
POL Developer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Nando » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 pm

That looks fine to me. For Razor, do you have "Patch client encryption" checked on the start screen? You are using the 2D client, right? You could also try an older client, just in case something got changed.

Also, feel free to join our Discord chat (the link is on the top of the "Contrivance" forums). It might be faster to troubleshoot there ;)

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:23 pm

Nando wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 pm
That looks fine to me. For Razor, do you have "Patch client encryption" checked on the start screen? You are using the 2D client, right? You could also try an older client, just in case something got changed.

Also, feel free to join our Discord chat (the link is on the top of the "Contrivance" forums). It might be faster to troubleshoot there ;)
Thank you, Nando!

Yes, razor is checked on that option and I'm on 2d classicuo client.
I'll try with an older client

I'll keep you updated.

I'll study a bit more on the forum pages (25 tabs open here πŸ˜…) on how to set the server so my friends can enter(things like the ip and port are still "Greek" to me, and all the admin commands and stuff... Lots to study) , how to create the adventure I want to create and get all running. It will be a loooong process, but I'm having fun. I saw other ways to create servers but POL looks to me as nice to understand and the tutorial was very helpful.

Greatings from Brazil

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:32 am

Nando wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 pm
That looks fine to me. For Razor, do you have "Patch client encryption" checked on the start screen? You are using the 2D client, right? You could also try an older client, just in case something got changed.

Also, feel free to join our Discord chat (the link is on the top of the "Contrivance" forums). It might be faster to troubleshoot there ;)
Hey, Nando!

Little update! I've got it to work with another client! Yey! (classicUo launcher)

Now I have an empty world without doors and npcs. Time to find out how to create my world! Any tips on how to start? (maybe there is a tutorial in the forums?)

Nando
POL Developer
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Nando » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 am

Cool! That's great! :D

If you are using the Modern Distro, you can try the command .decoratefacets

That might take a while but will create spawns, doors, etc for you

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 am

Nando wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 am
Cool! That's great! :D

If you are using the Modern Distro, you can try the command .decoratefacets

That might take a while but will create spawns, doors, etc for you

Great! It did work! Do we have a tutorial on how to set npcs, monsters, etc on the world?
and do we have a list of commads we can use?

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 am

strobelartesao wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:03 am
Nando wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:41 am
Cool! That's great! :D

If you are using the Modern Distro, you can try the command .decoratefacets

That might take a while but will create spawns, doors, etc for you

Great! It did work! Do we have a tutorial on how to set npcs, monsters, etc on the world?
and do we have a list of commads we can use?

In other forum parts I've found the .control command that gave me a lot of options to play with.

Reading the posts I've understood that all the commands must be scripted into the server. I think I'll have to learn how to script and/or how to use other developer's scripts.

I'll play with .control for now and read everything about scripts here in the forum πŸ˜‰πŸ‘ let's get good in being a world creator

Thanks for the help, Nando!

Ps: I've created some items in my server and I don't know how to delete them! Is there a easy way?

Yukiko
Distro Developer
Posts: 2784
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Yukiko » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am

The .destroy command will allow you to delete items from your world. I will try to write a tutorial in a few days on spawning your world. If you are using the Modern Distro there is some documentation in the /docs/Distro Documentation folder. Open the index.html fille. I have documented some of the systems there.

Yukiko
Distro Developer
Posts: 2784
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Contact:

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Yukiko » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 am

A BIG warning about the .decoratefacets command, I took the information on world items from ServUO for the Mondain's Legacy maps. Unfortunately in later expansions of UO some locations were modified, Magincia in particular. This causes buildings and items in those locations to be placed incorrectly in the later clients. I am sorry for the problems that will create. I was unaware that the map had changed after Mondain's Legacy when I wrote the .decoratefacets command. I hope to find some way of correcting this problem but have not been able to think of an easy solution yet.

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:22 am

Yukiko wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am
The .destroy command will allow you to delete items from your world. I will try to write a tutorial in a few days on spawning your world. If you are using the Modern Distro there is some documentation in the /docs/Distro Documentation folder. Open the index.html fille. I have documented some of the systems there.
Thank you, Yukiko!

After my questions here I went deeper and found a directory called commands in my POL files and there where some files. I've tried all the filenames as commands in game and they worked πŸ‘€ I believe I've found the place where commands should be placed and scripted.

I'll keep on with my studies and looking around.

I've found many scripts and people posting them here in the forum, but all my attempts to place them in my server failed and when clicking on compilation (I already understand I have to compile the new scripts to work) in pol configuration program they gave me errors and my world never saved since. I read the cmd errors and it shows me where the errors are (including the line of the script) but I don't understand well how to fix (actually I have no clue how programming works... I'm already watching some videos on YouTube πŸ˜…)

Every time I mess something up I start all over again haha!

Thanks for your help and Nando's

strobelartesao
New User
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by strobelartesao » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 am

Yukiko wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:17 am
A BIG warning about the .decoratefacets command, I took the information on world items from ServUO for the Mondain's Legacy maps. Unfortunately in later expansions of UO some locations were modified, Magincia in particular. This causes buildings and items in those locations to be placed incorrectly in the later clients. I am sorry for the problems that will create. I was unaware that the map had changed after Mondain's Legacy when I wrote the .decoratefacets command. I hope to find some way of correcting this problem but have not been able to think of an easy solution yet.
OLD IDEA => My "easy" solution is going to be ".go magincia" and replacing things there! πŸ˜… Because it is better to do so than to decorate the rest of the world

NEW IDEA => no easy way to do it haha! I went to magincia and it is truely caos

User avatar
Austin
Former Developer
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:30 am

Re: Setting up a Windows POL server. A tutorial.

Post by Austin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:51 pm

Well if the command populates items from a config file you could use ListObjectsInBox() for the whole realm - if the item is at the XYZ in the config file and the object type matches - remove it.

Post Reply