I got it working, but need help with other things

A special collection of guides, for those taking their first steps with POL or eScript
Zaksmeer
Grandmaster Poster

I got it working, but need help with other things

Post by Zaksmeer »

forgive me for all of these questions:

what is the correct way to add things in game?

can i add another command level?

can i add a customs folder for the adding of any custom stuff or stuff that i add?

thats it for now.
i am sure more to come
thx all.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: I got it working, but need help with other things

Post by Yukiko »

I wrote the following as a help regarding commands and command levels. I will write something similar for adding items to POL but it is going to be much longer and involved and as you can tell I haven't written it yet. So please be patient. One person is limited on time. :) but I can tell you that you are able to add folders for custom items and whole packages you want to add to POL. Typically you if you have a special item you want to add that requires a script or scripts probably the best place for the folder is under \pol\pkg\items. That way you help keep things organized. Packages need to be placed under the \pol\pkg folder unless you configure POL to look for additional package locations. More about that in a future tutorial. Anyway here is my commands help tutorial:

You can find the commands that are available in-game in \pol\pkg\commands. They are organized by command level there. The commands are issued using the period '.' immediately followed by the name of the script, For example to bring up the go command to choose a location to move your character to or send a character to, you would type ".go" (without the quotes) and that will open a gump with a list of locations. With POL the period is used to invoke commands. I should also note that some commands may also be located under individual packages. The static housing package is a good example. If you look under \pol\pkg\systems\housing you will find a directory named 'textcmd'. In there are two commands that a gm can use, rapiddecay and staticdeed. So keep in mind when someone develops a package that can be added to POL they may have commands that are specific to that package that they wish to, or need to, include. Typically they will place them in the 'textcmd' directory in their package.

The names of the command levels, player, coun, seer, gm, admin, and test are acceptable DefaultCmdLevel names to give your account. Those can be changed by editing cmds.cfg in the \pol\config folder. Here's an example of the structure from that file:

Code: Select all

CmdLevel Player
{
	DIR scripts/textcmd/player
	DIR pkg/commands/player
}

CmdLevel Coun
{
	ALIAS councilor
	DIR scripts/textcmd/coun
	DIR pkg/commands/coun
}
Note that you can specify an ALIAS for a command level name. The ALIAS should also be acceptable as a DefaultCmdLevel name for your account. Also note that you specify the DIR where those commands will be found for each command level.
Zaksmeer
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Zaksmeer »

and you come thru for me again.
thx.

and i am sorry if you are the only one available to do everything.
I quit a job recently where they had me doing 2 jobs.
that got old quick.

but in any case, thx for all of the help.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I think I need to be clear. I am not the only one doing anything. We have Turley, Nando, and DevGiB who are working on the Core. ThisIsMe, my son, is doing things that will be added to the Distro when he finishes them. But the documentation part of the Distro is something that is not being done and it needs to be done. And the Distro has suffered not being well documented for years. Even the previous distro that Edwards left us wasn't documented well.

DevGiB was working on Distro development but we need some things added to the Core such as the reduced mana cost buff support so he volunteered to work on that. So at this time I am the only one working on the Distro. But we do have a few people working on the POL project that I listed and they are available to ask for assistance. So if I gave you the impression that I am the only one working on POL then I apologize to you and my teammates.
Zaksmeer
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Zaksmeer »

i am missing include files to make some commands work, where do i find them at?

I am using 099 Beta that you just released.
or did I start off too high?
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

Which files does your system think you're missing.
As far as i'm aware the distro should compile fully without error.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I am almost daily recompiling all files in the Distro due to things I am testing and it compiles without any errors, except ones that my tests make ofcourse. :)

So like DevGiB asked, which commands are giving you trouble?