compiling, and getting thing to work

A special collection of guides, for those taking their first steps with POL or eScript
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: compiling, and getting thing to work

Post by Yukiko »

If you are using the Distro I can't think of any reason that would happen. I'll look into it though.

If you are using a different set of scripts I would need to know which script set it is before I can try to pin down the problem.?.

For any set of scripts though it probably has to do with the starting equipment script. Does your character have anything in his backpack.?
Zaksmeer
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Zaksmeer »

ok, on the off-chance that this would work, because i have only been trying to sign in using the login.cfg script located in ML folder, i signed in using Razor. now i can see everything. however, there is still commands that i cannot do. is there a listing of commands by command level that i can have?

And i thought just editing the login script would be good enough.

Should i be using razor to sign in? is that how it is done now?
Zaksmeer
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Zaksmeer »

i have noticed that if i try changing the command level from test to dev or owner, and changing the config file, the server does not like that and pretty much makes my guy nude, clotheless, cnat move, cant do commands, cant do anything.

just wondering why that is?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

We haven't, as of yet, created a list of commands but you can find the scripts for them under \pol\pkg\commands. They are organized by command level there. The commands are issued using the period '.' immediately followed by the name of the script, For example to bring up the go command to choose a location to move your character to or send a character to, you would type ".go" (without the quotes) and that will open a gump with a list of locations. With POL the period is used to invoke commands and not the left bracket '[' as it is done on ServUO. I should also note that some commands may also be located under individual packages. The static housing package is a good example. If you look under \pol\pkg\systems\housing you will find a directory named 'textcmd'. in there are two commands that a gm can use, rapiddecay and staticdeed. So keep in mind when someone develops a package that can be added to POL they may have commands that are specific to that package that they wish to, or need to, include. Typically they will place them in the 'textcmd' directory in their package.

The names of the command levels, player, coun, seer, gm, admin, and test are acceptable DefaultCmdLevel names to give your account. Those can be changed by editing cmds.cfg in the \pol\config folder. Here's an example of the structure from that file:

Code: Select all

CmdLevel Player
{
    DIR scripts/textcmd/player
	DIR pkg/commands/player
}

CmdLevel Coun
{
	ALIAS councilor
    DIR scripts/textcmd/coun
	DIR pkg/commands/coun
}
Note that you can specify an ALIAS for a command level name that should also be acceptable for as a DefaultCmdLevel name for your account. Also note that you specify the DIR where those commands will be found for each command level.

As to why your character shows up nude when you use a command level not defined in the cmds.cfg file I am not sure. It could be due to the starting equipment script not knowing how to dress a character with a misnamed command level. I can look into that when I get a chance.

I hope that helps you.

Among the many things I want to do is create a list of commands that come with the Distro and what they do but two days ago my SSD on my main system died and I have to replace it, this time with a real hard drive. Once that is done I can get back to the regular work on POL. As you may or may not know documentation is probably the least favourite thing for a developer to write. It's unfortunate but true. Good, or at least decent, documentation is one of the things the Distro is lacking as you can see but writing good documentation takes time and as with all projects of this size one person only has a limited amount of time.