Question on POL99 Distro

A special collection of guides, for those taking their first steps with POL or eScript
kiddiosky
New User

Question on POL99 Distro

Post by kiddiosky »

Hi, new to this forum. Played Ultima Online back in Chaotic Realm days. Even without any scripting knowledge, I decided to start up a shard to play with my nephews. I was able to start up a shard with the "Zulu Hotel Paradiso [pol099]" scripts.

Recently I decided to try the Distro scripts, but running to a few problems. I got the latest Distro from SVN, compile the script and even start it up without any issues.
When I edit a script, I use "eScript Compiler" to compile the script. Using eScript Compiler, I can open any .src from the Distro folder and it would said the script is up to date. But if I were to edit any .src, it would give me an error. Even if I were to open a script, don't change anything & SAVE, it will give me an error when I tried to compile it with eScript.
Example: I wanted to change the location of a new character after they choose their race.
Compiling: C:\Distro\pkg\items\races\race\walkOn.src
Unable to read include file ':attributes:attributes'
Compilation failed.

Can someone explain why I'm getting these Compilation failed, when I try to edit any Distro Scripts? With "Zulu Hotel Paradiso [pol099]" scripts, I do not have this problem.
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Re: Question on POL99 Distro

Post by DevGIB »

Hi Kiddiosky and welcome.
It's probably related to the ecompile.cfg file in the /scripts/ folder.
Check that as you need to enter some locations for the install of your POL directory.
See if you can work out where things are supposed to point to and try again.
kiddiosky
New User

Post by kiddiosky »

Here is what my ecompile.cfg looks like:

Code: Select all

# $Id: ecompile.cfg 373 2006-06-17 18:27:33Z austinheilman $
#
# ecompile.cfg: must be in the same directory as ecompile.exe
#

#
# ModuleDirectory: Location of *.em files
#
ModuleDirectory C:\Distro\scripts\modules

#
# IncludeDirectory: Location of *.inc files, if not found relative
#                   or with a specified package
#
IncludeDirectory C:\Distro\scripts

#
# PolScriptRoot: Location of "::file" includes
#
PolScriptRoot C:\Distro\scripts

#
# PackageRoot: root directories where packages are stored
#              This can be specified multiple times.
#
PackageRoot C:\Distro\pkg

#
# Default ecompile options
#
GenerateListing			1
GenerateDebugInfo		1
GenerateDebugTextInfo		0
DisplayWarnings			1
CompileAspPages			0
AutoCompileByDefault		0
UpdateOnlyOnAutoCompile		1
OnlyCompileUpdatedScripts       1
DisplaySummary			1
GenerateDependencyInfo		1
DisplayUpToDateScripts		0
I can compile the scripts without any problem and start up the shard. This error only occurred if I try to edit a script and recompile.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

It sounds like you're using a race package that is trying to find attributes.inc in the attributes pkg. You can solve this problem by copying the attributes.inc file from \Distro\scripts\include to the attributes pkg. Create a folder named attributes in the \Distro\pkg\systems folder. next open the new attributes folder and create a folder there named include and place the attributes.inc file in there. For the moment copy the attributes.inc file there. Do not move it. By keeping 2 copies of the attributes.inc file you will not "break" existing scripts in the Distro. This should solve your current problem.

I have been intending to restructure the Distro to fit Austin's model for the Distro he was working on and he had organized attributes functions to be in a package called 'attributes'. Over the next few days I wil update the Distro scripts to reflect the new location of the attributes system.

I apologize for the confusion. We have recently transitioned to a new working Distro that was built on a script set that predated POL 0.96 and some packages and scripts might not be in the same place as previous distros. Some problems can also arise when developers use packages from other shards that may be looking for files that do not exist in the Distro. Unfortunately those type of problems require the developer to find the missing scripts and copy them over to their Distro installation.
kiddiosky
New User

Post by kiddiosky »

C:\Distro\pkg\systems\attributes\include folder already exist..
And inside that folder, it have the attributes.inc
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

inside the attributes package there should be a pkg.cfg file. in there is an enable option.
Can you check this is set to 1?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

If that folder exists then you are probably using a different distro than the current release, perhaps the old Edwards version or one of the previous POL Distros released for POL 0.97 or 0.98
kiddiosky
New User

Post by kiddiosky »

DevGIB:
yes it is set to 1.

Yukiko:
I think you are right, I'm got Distro by following a post by Austin.
this is the URL of repository I got Distro from:
https://svn.code.sf.net/p/pol-distro/co ... 99/Distro/