[WIN x64] Trouble starting 099

A special collection of guides, for those taking their first steps with POL or eScript
InuYasha
New User

[WIN x64] Trouble starting 099

Post by InuYasha »

Hi all.

First of all: English is not my native language, so... :P

So now: I am trying to get a server running.
What I did so far:
* - DL pol-core-Beta-x64-2017-04-28.zip, Distro_099_Scripts_14-Oct-2016.zip(both from here) and setup-1.46.0.3.exe(from EA).
* - altered the config files for ecompile and pol.
* - compiled all .src files with 'fast compile.bat'
* - created MUL-directory and copied those .mul- and .idx-files into it
* - ran 'starthere.bat' -> RealmGen -> Build 'Britannia' realm -> Mondain´s Legacy extended Britannia Map
Since here everythings fine.
Now I started the pol.exe. The cli was short visible and thats all.
In the log-file:

Code: Select all

[05/08 00:04:54] Logfile opened.
[...]
checkpoint: loading configuration
checkpoint: load_cmdlevels
checkpoint: read_combat_config
checkpoint: read_boat_cfg
checkpoint: read_multidefs
Server Shutdown: read_multidefs
Scheduler passes: 0
Script passes:    0
[...]
My question: What is this read_multidefs?

Thanks in advance

- Inu
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: [WIN x64] Trouble starting 099

Post by Yukiko »

You should get the "Distro" from the GiT repository. That has the most current updates. There's a link to enable you to download the repo as a ZIP file. In the ZIP file you'll find a directory called "releases". That has all the releases from POL 0.95 to 0.99. In the 099 folder there are two folders one labelled "Distro" and one labelled Distro_Alt. The "Distro" folder is probably the one you are looking for. That's the Edwards' version. The Distro_Alt folder contains a working server without all the extra stuff like a class system. Which ever one you choose it should compile and uoconvert should not give you any errors. There will be some messages about multis that uoconvert assumes are houses. I Think those are foundations for the custom houses that have yet to be defined in the housing systems but don't worry about them for now. That won't cause a problem getting your server up and running.
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

Hey Yukiko,
thanks alot again for helping; I´m gonna check this out when I´m back home from work.
I just read what happened to you, hope you´ll be fine.

Kind regards, Inu
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

OK, still same error.

I downloaded the following:
* - the 099 core, pol-core-Beta-x64-2017-04-28.zip
This I put into my folder 'UO'.
* - the Distro from github: poldistro-master -> releases -> 099 -> distro
This I put into same folder and told windows to integrate folders with same name, and to overwrite existing files.
Now I tried to compile the .src-files, but it seems they were already existing due to ecompiles error-message.
So I went to the next step, I created a folder 'MUL' in my shard folder and copied those .mul and .idx files.
Then I again started the 'start-here.bat' and created the Britannia realm.
Now starting pol.exe... and - yes, again, same error occurs: the cli blinks up and closed immediately.
The log-file says same:

[...]
checkpoint: read_boat_cfg
checkpoint: read_multidefs
Server Shutdown: read_multidefs
Scheduler passes: 0
Script passes:    0
[...]
Thanks very much for trying to help, but since I am no Grandmaster Compiler / Programmer / Developer, I think I have to try alot to get this one running.
Anyways, if anyone has an idea what I did wrong, I would be glad to hear. Maybe its just a beginners-mistake or somewhat like this...

Kind regards, Inu
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

Generate tiles.cfg, landtiles.cfg and multis.cfg with uoconvert
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

Yup thats it... i started uoconvert manually and therefore uoconvert put the files in my shard-folder, not in the shard/config...
:sick:

Thanks alot;)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

A hint when starting POL on Windows for the first time, open a command prompt in the folder where POL is installed. You can do this easily by clicking in the address bar (where it shows the drive and folder info) and type cmd. make sure the address bar shows only cmd. Press the <enter> key and a command prompt window will appear. Type pol at the prompt. Now if POL crashes the window will not close and you can see any errors it reports. The log files are important too but I'm usually too impatient and want to know what went wrong immediately. :D
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

Hi,

I already did so, using latest core and the distro 099 from git and those from the download-section.
Trying to compile all scripts (.src) with the git-distro gives about 920 scripts with errors.
latest core and the distro from download-section (Distro_099_Full.zip) gives about 30 scripts with errors.
Latest core and distro (Distro_099_Scripts_14-Oct-2016.zip) gives no errors, but starting pol.exe crashes.
So I did what you say with cmd.exe: Error in tiles.cfg in line 8069 or so. Looking into the tiles.cfg: There is something like

Tile0x0223
{
desc →
[...]
}
After removing this arrow there was the next error in tiles.cfg, line 80960 or so; same thing.
And in some tiles there are some strange names after 'desc' like '98€', 'intion des' and so on.
I`ve tried a lot yesterday evening, maybe I tried too much to see what I´m doing wrong.
I don´t have the exact linenumbers or phrases right here, cause I´m at work.
If necessary I can provide them when I´m back home.
There are some more errors in landtiles.cfg, itemdesc etc.
Maybe someone had same problems and knows what to do; else I will provide exact error-messages later.

PS: One thing in advance: I don´t want others to do the work for me, I´m just asking for advice; I like strange riddles but without enough knowledge some of them are not to solve;)
Last edited by InuYasha on Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RusseL
Forum Regular

Post by RusseL »

uoconvert.cfg
change the value of UseNewHSAformat and regenerate realms and configs again.

---
also check values of MaxTileID and MaxObjtype inside of pol.cfg and set it appropriately to your client version.
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

Hi RusseL,

thanks alot for the tips; I will report later if it was successful or not;)

Edit: Ok, there was a problem using the git-distro: double entry for mounts. After removing one of them it seems to work...
Thanks alot for helping;)

Regards, Inu
ThisIsMe
Distro Developer

Post by ThisIsMe »

The double mounts pkg was a mistake I sent the update to yukiko and the folder updated mounts folder was in pkg/ when it should have been in pkg/items/.

That being said if you deleted the mounts folder from pkg on your end you may want to grab the latest mounts.cfg from the repo as it adds support for all known mounts currently available. You can find it in pkg/items/mounts/config/ and it should be a simple replace of your existing mounts.cfg file.

You can double check to see if you have the updated one by creating a polar bear and taming it and then trying to mount it, if you can you're golden if not you might be interested in updating. As it ends up adding a bunch of "newer" mounts.
InuYasha
New User

Post by InuYasha »

Hi, I did not delete it, I just moved it out of my shard-folder. (with deleting I have bad experience, so I almost never delete anything... )

And thanks for the hint with that polar bear ;)