Feature Request: Rework the UOFeatureEnable setting a bit.

Bug reports and feature requests. New features can only be added to the current development version. Bug-fixes may be back-ported.

Current release: 099 / Current development: 100
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Feature Request: Rework the UOFeatureEnable setting a bit.

Post by Yukiko »

I have a feature reqeust for POL Core.

Could the UOFeatureEnable settings in servspecopt.cfg be changed to "real" settings and not bit patterns?
For example here's a partial list of them as they currently exist:

Code: Select all

# 0x01 unknown1 (that is added by me because there is a missing 0 bit : ) )
# 0x02 = send config/req logout (IGR?)
# 0x04 = single character (siege)
# 0x08 = enable npcpopup menus
# 0x10 = unknown2
# 0x20 = enable common AOS features (tooltip thing/fight system book, but
#        not AOS monsters/map/skills (0xB9 controls))
From this list If the settings could be changed to:

UnknownSetting1=
SendConfigReq=
SingleCharSiege=
EnablePopupMenus=
UnknownSetting2=
EnableAoSFetures=
And then have a separate setting for the UO expansion that is supported by the server:

# Values can be T2A for The Second Age,  R for Renaissance,  TD for Third Dawn, LBR for Lord Blackthorne's Revenge,
# AoS for Age of Shadows, SE for Samurai Empire, ML for , Mondain's Legacy, SA for Stygian Abyss,
# HS for High Seas, and ToL for Time of Legends
SuppotedUOExp=
And just do away with the bit pattern all together?
Then surface these settings with a new function in PolSys, GetUOFeatures() that would return a struct containing the above settings or maybe as object members of Polcore?

This would accomplish at least two things, make the settings in servspecopt.cfg a little less geeky and make these settings easily readable from scripts. Those two things would make POL a little easier to setup for those editing the files directly and not using the POL Configurator and would also allow for easier customizing packages and scripts based upon these settings being readily available through one simple function call rather than having to create a script that reads servspecopt.cfg and goes through the bit conversion to obtain these values. It also does one more thing. It allows specifying more expansions that don't have a bit value assigned to them.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Feature Request: Reswork the UOFeatureEnable setting a bit.

Post by Tomi »

There was an idea about this I and Nando had to make a core config file for these with predefined expansions elements and a custom elements you could modify as you wish and have all different 0xA9 and 0xB9 packet bits as possible feature entries there.

No idea tbh why it was scrapped, maybe Nando can lighten it up a bit more ?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Feature Request: Reswork the UOFeatureEnable setting a bit.

Post by Yukiko »

I think I saw that posted on the Trello board. I think I discussed it with Nando but I cannot remember what the reason was it was put on hold.