Kiru - Ultima Online Client File Updater

Here you can post about UO Tools not specific to POL, but to the UO Client. This includes map editors, custom clients, mul editors (except UOFiddler, use it's forum), and so on.

Moderator: POL Developer

Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Kiru - Ultima Online Client File Updater

Post by Poi »

I am ready to show the world Kiru, It is at version 2.0 at the time of this post.

What is kiru? In short: UO Client File Updater
In length: This is a client side program that checks with a server for more up-to-date files, if there are new files it will automatically download them and replace them in the clients UO folder.

So lets say you add a new dungeon to your map, your players open the updater, it sees the new file and replaces the old one with the new one from the server, now your players stay up-to-date(all of them, not the "miss and hit" it is now days with players that actually download everything they are supposed to vs the players that don't care and try to play as fast as they can and end up having issues down the road)
Not to mention it makes map and hue updates much easier to distribute(And most likely a lot more often, meaning more new places and colors for your players!)

More information can be found at the official website: http://uokiru.com
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Kiru - Ultima Online Client File Updater

Post by Yukiko »

Thank you Poi for the program. I've tested earlier versions of it, as you know, and it definitely is handy. The last version I tested was very easy to use. I will have to grab the latest version now that you've released it officially.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Interesting project, I think I'll try it out. Thank you for your contribution to UO scene :)
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

No problem, I want to see uo keep living, I love this game
Poi
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Poi »

Just letting everyone know I have rewritten kiru from scratch, check it out! It offers easier to use and more feature rich :)
Terciob
Master Poster

Post by Terciob »

Is kiru open source? if yes what language it uses?

If i change one tile on map0.mul, will Kiro send entire file or just a small changeset for the player?
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Up to the questions! Is full or differential the download?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Xeon,
I believe Poi has discontinued development on Kiru. I chatted with him about maybe 4 months ago and he told me that he was stopping development because he understood that AssistUO, the replacement for Razor, was suppose to provide automatic updates for clients but I think he misunderstood. AssistUO has been around for a while now and the only thing it updates is itself, not client files. I would recommend PMing Poi and asking him if he will restart development of Kiru.