Strange problem with anims when running

Here you can post about UO Tools not specific to POL, but to the UO Client. This includes map editors, custom clients, mul editors (except UOFiddler, use it's forum), and so on.

Moderator: POL Developer

xeon
Forum Regular

Strange problem with anims when running

Post by xeon »

Hi, I've got a strange problem with anims.

We got a custom anim.
If we put it in anim.mul, slot 1, it works correctly.
If we put it in anim.mul, slot 73 (for example), the mob isn't displayed when it runs, it disappear and reappear when it return walking.

Why?!?

We use UOFiddler to export (.vd file) the anim and import it.
xeon
Forum Regular

Re: Strange problem with anims when running

Post by xeon »

Anyone?
Indy
New User

Post by Indy »

Slot 1 or 73 is a bit vague.

Did you replace an existing Animation? Or did you add one? Are you using a completely customized anim.mul?
Are there any POL Errors?

Please be a little bit more specific.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Thank you for your response.

I refer to the number of the animation, as displayed by UOFiddler.

Let's say I have a .vd file of an ogre.

I import it in slot 1 and 73 using for example UOFiddler. I put it in anim.mul. bodyconv.def has no entries for these slots.

I fire up the client, and I create two NPC. I assing to one graphic 1, and to the other graphic 73.
I make them run.

The NPC with graphic 1 is displayed correctly. The NPC with graphic 73 isn't displayed correctly, and simply disappear until it returns walking.

Now, suppose to take an animation with the "Fly" anim in it - p.e., the gargoyle. If I put it in slot 73, the NPC is displayed correctly when running.

To summarize, there must be something which tells the client how to handle the various animations - I found on Internet that can be created in the client directory a file named mobtypes.txt, in which you specify how the client should handle the various animations (as a monster, a sea_monster, etcetera), but my client simply ignores this file if I create it.
Indy
New User

Post by Indy »

The UO Client knows three different kinds of Animations:

(This Data is saved in the Index file anim.idx for anim.mul)
  • Creature ID range__________Type________Sequences/creature
  • 0x000 - 0x0c7_______High detail_____________110
  • 0x0c8 - 0x18F_______Low detail_______________65
  • 0x190 - EOF_____Human & Equipment________175
I suppose that UOFiddler doesn't distinct between a Creature in High Detail Mode and one in Low Detail Mode. You should try to get the Hex ID's of your Slots 1 & 73 and compare these to the above mentioned ranges.

Additionally I'm not aware of any file telling the Client what kind of Animation is saved where. I think that just the positions in the Mul files are relevant. But as you describe the behavior of you client, it seems like it misses some Animations.
xeon
Forum Regular

Post by xeon »

Thank for these informations, I was already aware of that.

I think I've found a file to tell the client which type of animation is in which slot: it is mobtypes.txt.

Unfortunately, my client doesn't recognize it, so I think it is a file added in later client versions than mine.