MUL Python Module

Here you can post about UO Tools not specific to POL, but to the UO Client. This includes map editors, custom clients, mul editors (except UOFiddler, use it's forum), and so on.

Moderator: POL Developer

melanius
Neophyte Poster

MUL Python Module

Post by melanius »

The last few days I've been working on a Python lib to allow access to UO's format (MUL files).

The code is in a private repository right now, but I will be uploading it to POL's repository soon, so you can check it out.

I'd like to hear some input on what kind of things you'd want the lib to allow you to do.
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

That sounds great. Before i perhaps write a lot of useless stuff: What means "allow access to UO's format (MUL files)." exactly.
Does it mean some read/edit/write access?
melanius
Neophyte Poster

Post by melanius »

It means that it will allow you to read the file contents.

From that point, one could write an actual app that would allow you to modify the files themselves, as the module allows you to access the file structure.
Danielle
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Danielle »

Basically a python version of the C# UO SDK?
melanius
Neophyte Poster

Post by melanius »

I don't actually like the way the Krrios' coded the SDK, so before that implementing the basic stuff of the module, I'd like to hear if people have any suggestions on what should be exposed by the MUL module.
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

I'am not quite sure if i understood you correctly.
I gave an example on how i think it could work. That's always the best way.
One of our scripters writes a tool to read/write multi.mul files.
This tool writes all multis into a readable text format or writes a new multi.mul from these text file/s.

With readable i mean:

Multi xxxx
{
Item1 color x y z objtype specialflags/options
Item2 color x y z objtype specialflags/options
}

Just to give an example in this case of a multi mul.

So if i understand you right, it would be great if such a module can read e.g. staticN.mul and write it to a readable text format like above.
Every Pol scripter then has the opportunity to change these files with custom own written Pol commands like we do with the multis.
For statics this could be e.g. search all items of objtype xx in area nn to mm and delete them/set them 1z up/if(... do ...) and so on.
After changes made and a new text file is written the module should recompile it in this case to a new staticsN.mul and the staidxN.mul

I think this can be done for every mul. It perhaps sounds complicated, but the possibilities are wide open cause this way you can customize it. To stay at my first example, we can read a e.g. sphere .wsc file or a UO Architect File or whatever into Pol (custom scripts). Check that multi in this case single items, save or edit it and rebuild the multi.mul/idx.

Hard to explain, i hope it sounds not to weird :wink:
DevGIB
Grandmaster Poster

Post by DevGIB »

you know what would be really good and id love to see... is a program that can make patches for mul files for example so you only need to send a small part of a mul file and it updates the mul file on the clients computer... just so you dont have to be transfering like 23mb everytime you make a change...
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

DevGIB wrote:you know what would be really good and id love to see... is a program that can make patches for mul files for example so you only need to send a small part of a mul file and it updates the mul file on the clients computer... just so you dont have to be transfering like 23mb everytime you make a change...
Yeah, one that's also easy to use...
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

thing is, what happens when the mul you wanna patch isnt the same one you were working with... Like if they patched to a future version with major changes. You end up with another UOPatch like thing where it fails all the time.
CrazyMan
Expert Poster

Re: MUL Python Module

Post by CrazyMan »

melanius, i hope your MUL Python Module can export images from mul. Its need for website ^)))
Where i can download it? Its now in SVN?
melanius
Neophyte Poster

Post by melanius »

I'll have to look around for it, it's in one of my local repos. I'll let you know, but not sure in what state it was left back then.
CrazyMan
Expert Poster

Post by CrazyMan »

I can help you with the end of the development.
Just mail me : kaydannik.a AT gmail DOT com