ML Map (7168 x 4096)

Here you can post about UO Tools not specific to POL, but to the UO Client. This includes map editors, custom clients, mul editors (except UOFiddler, use it's forum), and so on.

Moderator: POL Developer

OldnGrey
POL Expert

ML Map (7168 x 4096)

Post by OldnGrey »

I am putting together a list of map tools that work with the ML map size of x7168 x y4096.

If anyone can addto/edit this list, please do so.

* Punts 2 tools are the main ones that work - "mapgenerator" and "map editor". They appear to support ANY size file in multiples of 8 tiles including the standard map0-4 maps.

* Dragon should work, but DragonSP doesn't.

* InsideUO works fine after you edit the InsideUO.xml file to accept the new size.

* Shinigami's modified WorldforgePol cannot display past x6144 but seems to load the bigger ML map in okay. I haven't yet tested if the map copy function will accept past x6144 values.

I am yet to find a tool that can copy a rectangle from one map file to another in the bigger size. UOWC is hard coded to x6144 max. UO Copy probably doesn't work (and never did save the statics - it saves a wsc file for you to freeze).

Not a big list, but hopefully we can grow it.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I have a tool that will convert existing pre-ML map to the ML size. I will send it to you as soon as I can. You tell it what land tile you want to fill the expanded areas with and it expands the map for you.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

Did some tests with Shinigami's worldforge. It crops everything past x6143 so the map copy funtion doesn't work for the ML map. Anyone recompiled it with a larger map size?
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

A lot of progress.

A staff member edited Shinigami's worldforge for pol so it now supports the ML map size of 7168 x 4096 in both map edit, world map file copy, and freezing statics. A big help. I would rather Shinigam did it 'officially' but this one at least seems to work although it's not neat.

We only had one problem to solve - melting. Lots of utilities melt, but we needed to translate the X by + 1024 in the items file. The only tool I could find to do that was Mr Fixit's MULTOOL. However it writes WSC files and there are no colours in the file. Not a big problem as I didn't see any coloured statics in the OSI dungeon area. Our dungeons are around 265,000 items. But it's a limitation we will have to live with.

The big downside to all this is WorldForge. It's both slow and only accepts slightly more than 65,000 items to freeze at a time. That means the dungeons will take around 6 passes to freeze. That's a day of freezing. (only down to y 2200 too!)

UOWC is still our preferred method of copying and relocating statics and maps, but the 6144 limit on pasting means it only helps for the 'normal' part of the map.

But after all this, we have a set of tools that let us create a world map that's walkable from 0 - 6144 with our dungeons over past that. That's after the client hack of course to move the visual wrap point from 5120 to 6144.

Finally, I have nothing but respect for Punt's wonderful WorldMaker Map Editor.
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

Imho UOLandscaper can also work on this size. That doesn't help you with the statics problem of course but i think for map drawing and editing that program is a good solution.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

Problem with statics solved.

Use RadMapCopy.
It lets you copy a rectangle of a map and statics from any OSI sized map to a different location on another OSI sized map.

ie it will copy to and from any combination of map0 old, map0 new, map2, map3 and map4.

The only confusion for me is that RadMapCopy insists that the map files be exactly the same name and number of bytes to the official OSI map.

http://ultima.lonet.cz/download_radstar.php.

Thanks for your interest Pierce and Yukiko.

The only reason for this thread was to put some map tool information in one place that might help someone else.

One interesting feature of using a bigger map (walkable from 0 to 6143) is that treasure maps can only go up to 5120. So I won't be putting any treasure maps or allowing cartography from the extended part.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

By "OSI sized map" are you referring to pre-ML OSI sizes or ML and later OSI sizes?
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

RadMapCopy will recognise all official map sizes - both old and new map0 - ie 6144x4096 or 7168x4096, as well as standard map2, map3 and map4 sizes.

It saves a lot of time being able to copy from one map to another without melting and freezing.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Definitely does sound great but the link isn't working for me.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

I am lucky enought to have 2 isps.
On one the link doesn't work, on the other it does. No idea why.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

RadMap Copy update:
Some ISPs can't get to the site where it's hosted which is a pity.

Just so it's documented somewhere: there is a 'feature' of RadMap Copy that you need to know about otherwise statics will not align on the destination map. (Yukiko knows all about that 'feature'.)

When typing in the coordinates to copy from and to, always type in values that are exactly divisible by 8. This is because statics are written in blocks of 8x8 tiles and RadMap Copy obviously needs to get the entire block.

eg top left of an island might be 83, 3673.
You would enter those as 80, 3672.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Oh good.

Thanks very much for that.

Then I'll give it a shot again on my next "weekend" using that technique.

I was beginning to think I was jinxed or maybe I was having a "Yukiko moment" like when I post useless ideas when trying to help people with scripting problems.

TTFN!
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: ML Map (7168 x 4096)

Post by Tomi »

RadMapCopy seems to somehow corrupt the statics files. And when using UOConvert its giving too many notifications about illegal statics.

I tried to copy Magincia Island from an older map and with static files too to the latest, because OSI / EA screwed that island up in some of their events and changed the docks in map, and removed all the statics. ( The map part was copied without any problems. )

I tried to use the StatFix0.1 that I found here in poltools section, but that didn't support the ML sized map.

I tried also with UOCopy / WorldForge / MulTool without success.

UOWorldCopy and Mulpatcher doesnt seem to work either.