Is POL95 to POL98 possible?

Here you can post threads requesting help on the official POL Ultima Online Emulator Core 098.

Moderator: POL Developer

andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Is POL95 to POL98 possible?

Post by andenixa »

I want to ask the experts, if its possible to go flawlessly from CORE95 to 98? I know the details could be quite quirky, but just in general do you think I should do that?
Does 98 have the production/stable status? Anyone actually running a busy shard on 98? What is your uptime before a crash?
Thank you guys.
xeon
Forum Regular

Re: Is POL95 to POL98 possible?

Post by xeon »

I'm too interested in this topic. We too are discussing about migration to POL098
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

It is possible to convert from POL 095 to 098 but it's a lengthy process that will require you to edit almost if not every script on your shard. The procedure to go from POL 095 to 098 is to download 098, look in the changelog all the way back to the version of 095 that you have and go up the changelog from there line by line reading and understanding how each change in the changelog could affect your shard and apply changes where necessary. It took me about a month to complete the process going from POL095 to 096 and about another month to find all the little bugs and stabilize my shard completely. 096 to 097 produces a little more work because the modules were split (use uo; has been split into multiple modules now so you may have to apply use attributes; use vitals; ect...). The benefit of moving up is that you gain a huge amount of new features and abilities to script and control your shard. I say it definitely becomes worth it in the end if you have the will to go through the conversion. As for crashing, under most normal circumstances, you won't have crashes. POL has become a lot more stable in its later releases along with fixing a lot of little annoying issues.
andenixa
Grandmaster Poster

Post by andenixa »

Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback. Guess that bad news, we have a way too many scripts to process by hand. Many of those written over a decade by different contributers. Most of them are very spaghetti code scripted by non computer scientists. *sight*