money system and various coins

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

taxman
Journeyman Poster

money system and various coins

Post by taxman »

Core and client uses only gold coins.
Is it possible to use cuper and silver coins to without writing own SendSellWindow()/SendBuyWindow() and other related stuff?
MuadDib
Former Developer

Re: money system and various coins

Post by MuadDib »

no, you would have to script all that out and do conversions for it in the packets etc etc
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I was playing with this a while back.
Is it necessary to do any "packet work" with this? Couldn't you script a custom buy/sell window gump and do it that way?

One of the issues I was trying to resolve or come to grips with was should I auto-convert multiple stacks of coins in a players pack to the next denomination to consolidate the number of coins, ie. if player has two stacks of 75 coppers do I convert those automatically to 1 silver and 50 coppers, assuming 100 coppers equals one silver or should I use the WoW method and just display icons for each denomination in a special gump with totals for each type of coin next to the icon.

Anyway, I am glad I am not the only one who likes this idea.
taxman
Journeyman Poster

Post by taxman »

It was just feature request for new core.. :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I know but I am not sure it should be, or needs to be, a core issue/feature. I think it can be scripted. The only limitation might be the passing of the vendor sell/buy values in the itemdesc files but even those could be read by scripts and therefore contain a custom formatted data element.

For Example

Code: Select all

VendorBuysFor	2g 20s 9c
	VendorSellsFor	6g 55s 0c
Then have the custom buy/sell script read that directly from the itemdesc.cfg file.

Anyway, someone can tell me if I am wrong about this or not.
Luth
Former Developer

Post by Luth »

I'm in the firm belief that ANYTHING* can be scripted. :)

*where "anything" is defined as a set of actions, whos size is particularly limited
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

even if you have to wait until TOMORROW :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

I agree for the most part Luth as long as enough control is given by the core. I have had a few spell ideas which would have been near impossible to script to work "properly" prior to the POL 0.96 spell system revision. Speaking of which, if I was going to vote on the best change made to POL in the 0.96 revision that would have to be at the top of my list, even more so than the multiple realm handling.

POL is really a great emulator.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

besides the crashing that is triggered seemingly only by spells (even though its probably more of a general problem) it seems ok even though it took me 5 months to stabilize and implement the spells permanently when jumping from 095 to 096.
Luth
Former Developer

Post by Luth »

I'd love to hear some of your "impossible" spell ideas. :) I've been wracking my brain to do things that no one's ever seen on a UO emulator before; a few more wouldn't hurt.