Weight handling

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

phao
Grandmaster Poster

Weight handling

Post by phao »

POL is a lot customizeable now, I think most features now would be small changes (like this) that will not be useful for many people or core optimization.

Before I just like to tell that this EMU is great.

What I'm suggesting here is way to handle weight modifiers, something like "weight temporary modifier".

I have something like a monk on my shard, and I have stuff like weight penalties for them, it'll be harder to dodge, use some monk abilities, etc.

To make that more interesting, I'd like to have item weight reduction bags, like "everything inside this bag will weight 70% less". In order to do that, I need to handle weight.

I couldn't find a way to do it, if there is please tell me, if there isn't the suggestion would be to add a "weight_mod" as one UObject object attribute and it'd work like temporary attributes modifiers, that is, not being save on save-worlds.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Weight handling

Post by Yukiko »

I created a "magic bag of holding" that will hold up to a maximum amount of weight without adding to a characters weight. So that much is possible but as far as I know, and have been told by the Developers, there is no way to do weight modification at this time.
goqsane
Neophyte Poster

Post by goqsane »

would you like to share this concept, Yukiko? :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You know, it's odd how I feel about sharing it.

On the one hand I want to shout it from the rooftops because it was a somewhat clever way of working around the read-only weight issue and I want to show off my idea.
*grins*
On the other hand if I ever get my shard off the ground again it would allow me to have something unique that I have never seen in any other shard.

Let me think about it a few days. If there is enough interest I might be persuaded. If I am going to share anything it'll be the entire package as a custom script release rather than just giving the idea out for others to wrangle into a script.
coltain
Grandmaster Poster

Post by coltain »

Hi

Once upon a time I thought about this and came to this conclusion.

2 objects are needed
a bag1 (as a main container)
a bag2 (as a another container)

bag2 is created as bag1 is created

bag1 is for a player to carry, every item put in it is moved to bag2 (so the bag2 handles all the weight)
if bag1 is used a bag2 is opened, not a bag1

I even thought about adding some weight item (as stack - for example gold like with a 0,1 stone weight) and putting a certain amount of this items to bag1 when item is being put, (or removing a weight item when something is removed)

This was a long time ago and i didn`t even came to half of it. So this was my idea for a weight removing container. And there was a problem with a item removing.

Sorry for my english.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Yeah. I think that might work too but how do you show the items, that are really kept in bag 2, inside bag 1? That seems to be the main issue with using two separate containers. I suppose you could move them from bag 2 to bag one upon opening bag 1 and then back to bag 2 upon closing it but then there's the issue of the weight of items from bag 2 causing the character to be overweight when items get moved to bag 1, the bag she is carrying.

*laughs*
I guess my idea was not as clever as I thought because Coltain might have come up with a better one.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

SendOpenSpecialContainer()?

I know its possible with bag one being the one to only count weight and bag 2 being a storage area because we have double-clickable bankboxes on our shard that operate with no problems (there's nothing in the boxes themselves, people just double click them and it opens their bank).
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

CWO wins the prize!
*sulks*
And I thought I was so smart!
*grins*
My method was to create a bag object that has a use script attached to it. It creates a storage area in the World Bank system the first time it is used. Then whenever the player opens it the contents of that area are displayed. It has a few issues though. You must open the bag to drop stuff into it and it will close if the character moves. But we are talking about magical bags here and everyone knows that enchanted objects can act in strange ways right?

Just look into the banking system to get an idea how this can work.
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

Yukiko wrote:CWO wins the prize!
*sulks*
And I thought I was so smart!
*grins*
You are smart. That's why your rank says "POL Expert" but mine says "*CERTIFIED* POL Expert" :-P
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Okay so where do I go to get a certificate in POL?

Maybe mine should be "Certified Insane".
*laughs*
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

It's clearly a meaningless title if my actual accomplishments are any judge.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

*laughs*
Yeah so is mine now that I think about it.
Anyone who's read some of my posts can testify to that.
*smiles*
Tritan
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Tritan »

Don't sell yourselves short. Everyone seems to be willing to help others out. I would try more if I had the time, however I have to many other projects on my plate now. Oh well keep up the good work everyone.