Yet another suggestion

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

MontuZ
Forum Regular

Yet another suggestion

Post by MontuZ »

This ones about ItemDesc.CFG files - Maybe a way to declare what folders they may lay in so when POL loads they can be read and ready for use. Possibly in PKG.CFG?

An example(Declaring :pkgname: optional or not needed. Only added here for visual effect.);
ItemConfig :Equipment:Config/Weapons/
ItemConfig :Equipment:Config/Armors/
ItemConfig :Equipment:Config/Cloths/
----OR----
ItemConfig :Equipment:Weapons/
ItemConfig :Equipment:Armors/
ItemConfig :Equipment:Cloths/

Because currently if we wish to have some sort of organization for items we have to toss them into a package - Which works well in most cases because the items really do need their own package because they use their own slew of scripts in order for them to work.

The point - With the example I've shown(at least for me.) All equipment items are controlled by all the same scripts and placed in their own package with a rather large itemdesc.cfg. Of course navigating through that itemdesc.cfg file can be somewhat of a task if I(And this happens a lot.) forget the itemdesc Name I gave the item, can't remember how to spell it, or I'm just looking for a specific group of items(Like weapons.). And yes I could always do that with packages and just redirect all the scripts to one main package, but I feel that starts to lose integrity after awhile.

And possibly the same could go for NPCDESC?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: Yet another suggestion

Post by Yukiko »

Doesn't POL load all itemdesc.cfg files at start-up already? That's how it finds duplicate item numbers and such. Or did I misunderstand the proposed feature?
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

I think last time I tried organizing items like the examples I shown it never loaded them, I'll give it another whirl and post details later.
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

I want itemdesc.cfg files to be loaded if they're in a special folder, like
:Pkg:Swizzy/Filly/Barb/itemdesc.cfg
MontuZ
Forum Regular

Post by MontuZ »

Nah doesn't work, can only have itemdesc.cfg in package:itemdesc or package:config/itemdesc
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Right. Yes only itemdesc in main config and (Enabled) package directories/package:config directories are loaded.

I suppose you could just create the necessary directories and assign package config files to them.