Different path for POL log files.

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Different path for POL log files.

Post by Yukiko »

Is it possible to allow in pol.cfg an alternate paths for log files to be stored?

The reason I ask is that the log directory can grow to be quite large and it might be preferanble to have logs stored on a different drive than the main shard is running on. Plus it would make it easier when making a full back-up of a shard since most probably don't save their log directory in shard back-ups.
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Check the pol archiver out on the tools forum
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

*nods*

It wasn't just about making back-ups easier.

I was thinking about how large the size of the log directory could theoretically grow if you had some "runaway" debug logs. I use runaway loosely here ofcourse. I had my debug log reach 800 megs once due to some odd things being logged there and that was only after a week of uptime. My point being that one could find oneself running out of hard drive space and not get a proper worldsave. I understand this is a rare possibility due to the size of todays drives but it is a possibility.

I just thought it might be more prudent to have logs saved on a different drive than the POL world data or atleast have that as an option.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys.
tekproxy
Forum Regular

Post by tekproxy »

If you're running Linux you could delete the log folder and put a mount to another drive there and name it "log".
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

You can do that in Windows too... I'm sure theres instructions online otherwise I can pull them out of my MCDST book.