Support for clients with OSI-encryption

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

Tomi
POL Developer

Support for clients with OSI-encryption

Post by Tomi »

support for client with osi-encryption so you don't have to use uo_rice, uogateway, razor or ignition to remove encryption from client before you can play.

This should be made as 3 options in pol.cfg or servspecopt.cfg

-Only clients with OSI-encryption
-Only clients without encryption
-Both

Another thing would be (I don't know if it's even possible) to make support to Pol somehow so you can use clients with custom encryption too.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

I see that pol hasn't supported encrypted clients since 2.0.0b.
The bottom of pol.cfg shows an obsolete section about .key files.

For the sake of interest, has anyone done some tests on runuo to see if an encrypted client runs any faster than our uoriced ones? If it was only a matter of adding a .key file in pol.cfg it might be a good thing if we knew how to do it.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

it is not only to add a key because since clientversion 2.0.0b OSI has changed the whole encryption scheme 2 or 3 times (can't remember exactly).
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

Why do that? If they change encryption all the time, its better to depend on uorice. Otherwise ....
CrazyMan
Expert Poster

Post by CrazyMan »

Crypt Algorytm now is eshtabiled.

Now clients change keys only.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

I am waiting for a friend of mine to test the difference in speed of encrypted and uorices clients. That would be the only reason I'd be interested in this.
Marilla

Post by Marilla »

I agree with your principle, OldNGrey, but I would add to it: I would also be interested to see if there is any measurable difference in how the server performs, whether it needs to handle encryption or not. Given the ease with which the encryption was always broken in the past, I've always suspected it's actually just encoding, or a very simple encryption that would tend to be very light anyway (otherwise, it would seem to have a negative effect on game play in general)... but I also tend to be of the opinion that any small improvement is worthwhile... but maybe it's so miniscule it's not worthwhile..

Blerg. Then, there's also the question; is it even worth it, to begin with? So agonizing! :P
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

Well if it includes any compression then yes :)
necr0potenc3

Post by necr0potenc3 »

the encryption itself doesn't contain any compression. the only compression is the one in server->client packets.

theorically speaking, there is a speed difference. clients which have encryption enabled are slower than the ones with disabled encryption. but this difference is so small that it becomes irrelevant.
OldnGrey
POL Expert

Post by OldnGrey »

In that case, I can rest easy.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Support for clients with OSI-encryption

Post by Tomi »

Bringing an old topic alive again.

Im requesting this once again due to many encryption removal programs will not be updated anymore and the only choises left are ConnectUO or Razor which Im against.

UO_Rice is practically dead ( WORKED FINE UNTIL 6.0.x.x ) but there have been no updates since.... cant remember anymore.
UOCH ( Ultima Online Client Hacker ) stopped to work with clients >= 6.0.5.0

So Im just requesting this support to the core, or if you really are 100% against it, please point to me some software that just removes the ecnryption from client and creates a new exe file to play with or such.
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Do anyone know which encryptions are used in the newer clients? If there's any knowledge about it, just say and I'd be glad to take a look at the subject. I really don't have the tools, know-how or time to try it myself.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

If I should start to investigate that, I should start with RunUO or SunUO sources, because they already have the encrypted clients supported. ( this only for the latest clients )

and for older ones I should suggest UOEncryption library built by Necr0potenc3 which can be downloaded from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=128031
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Thanks Tomi, I'll take a look.
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

Tomi wrote: UO_Rice is practically dead ( WORKED FINE UNTIL 6.0.x.x ) but there have been no updates since.... cant remember anymore.
Yes, Lord Binary left the UO scene. His last update works until client version 6.0.6.1.
But he released the source code. I'll upload his last update including the source
to the Pol tools section. Currently i have no c++ compiler installed, otherwise i could
give it a try to get clients >= 6.0.6.2 to work. Perhaps someone with a lot more c++ experience takes a look ;)
Nando
POL Developer

Post by Nando »

Pierce, you could use Code::Blocks (http://www.codeblocks.org/) or DevCpp (http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html). They both use MingW as compiler, if I'm not mistaken. They are very small and good IDEs. You should give a try.

There's also Visual Studio C++ Express Edition, which is free but it's a long download. ;)
Pierce
Forum Regular

Post by Pierce »

Thx Nando. But i hoped that someone else take a look at this even if i also do this ;)