define regions by script

Archive of the older Feature Request Forum Posts

Moderator: POL Developer

Lagoon
Grandmaster Poster

define regions by script

Post by Lagoon »

What about the ability to define by script regions (with size multiple of blocks, like the config defined areas) with their enter scripts and exit scripts?
Do you like the idea? Devs, would it be too heavy in performance? Of course it would be an optional thing, no need to use them in one doesn't need them. And of course config defined will stay since they give better performance.
What's the use of them? Well, say you want to temporarily define a region where characters enter and suffer some damage each amount of time... the examples could me many. Creating walkon tiles for a medium size area (say 100 x 100) would be possible, but at what price?
CWO
POL Expert

Post by CWO »

There are already enter and exit scripts for regions.

Just put as the enter script a script that checks their XYZ (to make sure they havent exited in any way), then loop with damage, if XYZ isnt in the region, return.
Lagoon
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Lagoon »

I suspect you didn't read the whole post :?
I'm talking about dynamic script defined regions. I know there are already regions, but the only way to have dynamic reagions with the actual system is to define hundreds of static regions and check cpropc which enable or disable them... which is pure madness
What I'm suggesting is a system to create and delete regions by script
Im my example alk about a TEMPORARY region damaging the charcter inside it. in an arbitrary position, choosen by the staff on the fly. Something like... .addtempdmgregion -> TargetCoordinates() -> AddRegion(region_name, x1, y1, x2, y2, enter_script, exit_script)
innominabile
Adept Poster

Post by innominabile »

Yes... not a evil thing.....
MuadDib
Former Developer

Post by MuadDib »

Lagoon wrote:I suspect you didn't read the whole post :?
I'm talking about dynamic script defined regions. I know there are already regions, but the only way to have dynamic reagions with the actual system is to define hundreds of static regions and check cpropc which enable or disable them... which is pure madness
What I'm suggesting is a system to create and delete regions by script
Im my example alk about a TEMPORARY region damaging the charcter inside it. in an arbitrary position, choosen by the staff on the fly. Something like... .addtempdmgregion -> TargetCoordinates() -> AddRegion(region_name, x1, y1, x2, y2, enter_script, exit_script)
Or use a central system to control this with a core that the player attaches to for it. If you look in older distros at the AttributeCore, that would give you an example.

A script is fired at logon to check such things. When it "updates" it can check either a global cprop for regions, etc, or the script can contact a core system script (like AttributeCore does) to get updates/regions. Similar fashion, and pretty easy to implement without insane work. The global prop can even contain the scriptname to fire for enter/exit/walkin, etc for this if each region is stored as a Struct or Dict. Pretty basic really. I had that exact setup for a global tournament system I made in 095 on IC and LS that ran pretty decent for maze matches, tournaments, and so forth. Even controlled no looting, no damage, etc.
Lagoon
Grandmaster Poster

Post by Lagoon »

Ok, that's what I was planning to do in case no core support could be provided. I'll try this and do some benchmarks...