Having trouble adding art tiles to the client files.

This is where you can discuss UOFiddler, by Turley.

Moderator: POL Developer

Yukiko
Distro Developer

Having trouble adding art tiles to the client files.

Post by Yukiko »

I'm trying to move to the High Seas client but I have some custom artwork and gump art I need to add to the HS client files. I started with the tile art because I figured that would be the easiest to begin with. So after the tedious task of replacing about 30 or so "unused" tiles with some of my custom tiles in the "Items" tab I saved the file. First thing I noticed is the art.mul file is larger than the original. I don't have the exact size difference but it was around 100 megs. Then when I loaded the new file into UO Fiddler it threw an exception error. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I saw this post but since I am not editing the UOP files I didn't think it applied to my situation.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tomi
POL Developer

Re: Having trouble adding art tiles to the client files.

Post by Tomi »

Really weird because I have never encountered anything like that when editing HSA art.mul

HSA art.mul is ofcourse bigger than SA because they added items from max 0x7FFF to 0xFFFF
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Right. I understand that. The thing is I am starting with an HSA file. I'll try again and see if anything changes. Maybe one of the Fiddler plugins is misbehaving or something. What file type is the artwork you import into Fiddler? I am using iles exported in BMP format. Maybe that's the problem.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

why is everyone using BMP files? they are the devil himself. no transparency and blown up.

never ever use them. first of all they will flood your hard drive and secondly more specific to up: you will loose one color for the transparency. can't remember which true white or true black 0x000000 or 0xffffff. maybe even both. why not use eg PNG its smaller and you can use both colors plus transparency.

back to topic mmmh no idea
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

Im using both .bmp and .tiff depends on if some of the custom art I have is very old ( before fiddler existed, because mulpatcher only supported bmps ) then I will not change it.

Make sure you have the latest Fiddler version with HS changes and such, make sure the file paths are correct

You mentioned plugin, what plugins are you using ? somekind of compare plugins or are you using massimport plugin to import all stuf ?
Massimport plugin works nicely when importing to HSA files no problems there
Compare SA/HSA no idea, havent tried

Redownload Fiddler incase something went wrong during that time

Other than that, I dont really have any idea

Did you forget to use the new art.idx ? because that could make a problem that you have
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Thanks Turley. I'll go back and re-export the art and gumps in PNG.

Tomi, I am not actually "using" any plug-ins. I just have them installed and enabled. I have the latest Fiddler (4.6). What "new art.idx" are you referring to, the one in the HSA client files? If so, then yes that's the one I am using. I took all of the HSA client files and copied them to a working directory and am making the changes there. I still haven't got back to Fiddler yet. Now with Turley's input I'll go back and grab everything in PNG first.

I appreciate all the advice.
Thanks.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Turley wrote:why is everyone using BMP files? they are the devil himself. no transparency and blown up.

never ever use them. first of all they will flood your hard drive and secondly more specific to up: you will loose one color for the transparency. can't remember which true white or true black 0x000000 or 0xffffff. maybe even both. why not use eg PNG its smaller and you can use both colors plus transparency.

back to topic mmmh no idea
I finally got round to exporting my graphics in a different format than BMP. There is one problem with exporting them as PNG files Turley. UO Fiddler doesn't offer that as an option. The three options are BMP, JPG and TIFF. So I'll go with TIFF, since JPG is a lossy compression format, until I hear from you how to export to PNG from Fiddler.
Tomi
POL Developer

Post by Tomi »

You should export them as .tiff because thats 1 of the 2 formats Fiddler support for importing ( .bmp and .tiff )
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

I forget that I am lazy :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

No Turley. Not lazy. You've created a great program that was needed for a long time. There are a few small things I wish it was able to do but those are for another thread. :)