i cant find paladin sword animations ?

This is where you can discuss UOFiddler, by Turley.

Moderator: POL Developer

rambo53
New User

i cant find paladin sword animations ?

Post by rambo53 »

i cant find paladin sword and long sword animations in fiddler. i control the list a lot of times but i cant find. any idea? thaks.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: i cant find paladin sword animations ?

Post by Yukiko »

There is no specific animation for the Paladin Sword. A different animation is substituted for it in body.def in the Ultima Online installation folder. In that file under the heading "Begin AOS Stuff" you will find an entry:

Code: Select all

940 {643} 0
That entry tells Ultima to substitute the animation 643, the Viking sword animation, for animation 940, the animation value for the Paladin Sword.
rambo53
New User

Post by rambo53 »

Yukiko wrote:There is no specific animation for the Paladin Sword. A different animation is substituted for it in body.def in the Ultima Online installation folder. In that file under the heading "Begin AOS Stuff" you will find an entry:

Code: Select all

940 {643} 0
That entry tells Ultima to substitute the animation 643, the Viking sword animation, for animation 940, the animation value for the Paladin Sword.
in my animation list there is no 640 . i dont know why?

repeating crossbow (639)
elven boot_t(641))

where is 640 ?
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You might have a different animation number than I do. I sometimes forget I am using older art.mul and tiledata files because I have added some custom graphics. I'm sorry for any confusion. Search in the items tab of UO Fiddler for Paladin Sword and see what value is shown for animation in the details pane. Then search through the body.def file in your UO installation directory and see if there is another animation being substituted for the one listed in the items details. I think you will find that in the body.def file they substituted the Viking Sword animation for the Paladin Sword animation. I would assume they didn't need a separate animation for each sword because on the small character in the game window you probably couldn't see any difference. It would save space and they wouldn't have to go through creating all those animations for a new weapon.
rambo53
New User

Post by rambo53 »

i write wrond. in my list under animations tab:

repeating crossbow (939) Animation: 0x03AB
elven boot_t(941) Animation: 0x03AD

i found paladin sword in dress tab. and in there its id Animation: 0x03AC (0x03AC).

not only paladin sword. long sword sledge hammer etc. somes are missing. i dont know where is the problem? in your fiddler you can found these animations? i want them for their bmp's.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

After actually creating the Paladin Sword and equipping it I see what you are talking about. There is definitely a difference between the animation that is shown on my character in the game window between a Viking Sword and a Paladin Sword. I haven't equipped the Paladin Sword before so I had never seen the animation for it.

From what I was taught and understand about how the Ultima client handles animations it should take the value it finds in the animation field of the item and check the body.def file to see if there is a remapping of that to another value. If there is then it is supposed to use the new value it finds in body.def as the actual animation in game. If there is no remap then it uses the original value.

I'm don't know where Ultima is getting that animation for the V Sword. There might be a clue though if you look in the Bodyconv.def file. In my version of that file the header says:
# This file overloads the data loaded from the CD/HD cache system from a very
"# low level. Given a object type, it will return the index in"
# anim2.mul/anim3.mul/etc the game should use instead of art from anim.mul
#
# 0 - 199 = MOnsters
# 200 - 399 = Animals
# 400 + = HUmans/Elves and Equipment
#
# The maximum value for an index is 2048.
#
# <Object> <LBR version (anim2)> <AoS version (anim3)> <AoW version (anim4)> <Mondain version (anim5)>
I determined where it says "object" they mean "animation number" so the line above should be:
# <Animation Number> <LBR version (anim2)> <AoS version (anim3)> <AoW version (anim4)> <Mondain version (anim5)>

Now if you look down the file you'll find this line:
940 -1 940 -1 -1

I don't quite understand how Ultima uses this file but the answer to your question about the missing animation might be because it is in anim3. I don't know if UO Fiddler uses anim3 when it displays animations. If it doesn't then that's the reason for the missing Paladin Sword animation in Fiddler.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

OK. I tested this by changing the line:
940 -1 940 -1 -1

to

940 -1 -1 -1 -1

and the animation for the Paladin Sword changed to that of the Viking Sword which is what I would have expected to happen because of the entry in body.def. So here's what is happening; Ultima reads the animation number from the item data. Then it checks to see if it needs to substitute a different animation. I don't know which file it checks first, body.def or bodyconv.def, but if it finds a substitution in both files then the value in bodyconv.def takes precedence over body.def. So in our example of animation 940 bodyconv.def tells Ultima to grab animation 940 from anim3 rather than the default anim file. It appears that Fiddler isn't using the bodyconv.def file when showing animations. I know it is using body.def though because my body.def file has some custom entries for my client and Fiddler showed the different animation values.

Unfortunately this doesn't help you get the BMPs for the Paladin Sword, atleast not by using Fiddler.
rambo53
New User

Post by rambo53 »

i understand what happenning :) thanks for all.
Turley
POL Developer

Post by Turley »

the dress tab should read it correctly. it uses all needed def files to display the correct paperdoll image and animation.
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

You are right Turley, the dress tab is reading the correct gump art for the paper doll. The issue is that in the animations tab there is no animation for 940 the Paladin Sword. I think it's because the animation for the Paladin Sword is being taken from the anim3.mul file (see my above post). If you look at the body.def file animation 940 is being substituted for 643 but it appears that bodyconv.def overrides body.def and draws the animation for 940 from anim3.mul.

Does UO Fiddler take either of the body*.def files into account when choosing the animations to display or is there a setting that tells UO Fiddler which anim file to use for displaying animations?