File Types / Saving (Statics vs Multi)

This is where you can discuss UOFiddler, by Turley.

Moderator: POL Developer

gotcha2
New User

File Types / Saving (Statics vs Multi)

Post by gotcha2 »

Say I want to add an area that would otherwise be "blackspace", i build it. What options do I have in terms of making it part of client files?

I vaguely recall tools that existed to assist in extracting multis and such. Could you please help me fill in the blanks on this?

Multis - Structures able to be placed (multi extractor runs simultaneously with UO, which can target between two points and add the information to your files).

Statics/Stadix - Displays all of the world, obeying Map#.

Is this accurate? How do I edit the Multis / Statics so that I can add them to my current, and will usables be added/interactable (doors, lights, ect) (any recommended tools)

Thank you very much!
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Re: File Types / Saving (Statics vs Multi)

Post by Yukiko »

There are a few ways to add items to the static files. I prefer using a map editor like CentrEd or Punt's Worldmaker (updated version). Both of those utilities allow you to edit not only the terrain but also to add items to the game, ie. static items. CentrEd is a client server application. It's designed for collaborate editing whereas Worldmaker is a standalone program. One benefit of using Worldmaker is that you can use the companion application, WfMulti. With it you can create structures, forests, scenery or whatever you like by building them right in the WfMulti editor. I like to think of it as a virtual Ultima Online Lego playground. You can also use WfMulti to import a multi from the client files and edit them if you wish. The things you build in WfMulti can be saved as *.MLT files and those can be imported and placed on a map as static items. You can change the hue of the items as you build. The Worldmaker and WfMulti were originally created by Punt but he has since abandoned them but Dekaru on the RunUO forums has taken up the torch and has updated Worldmaker. Hopefully he'll do the same for WfMulti. I have used all three programs and they all are pretty good considering the fact that they are free but each one has its quirks. SO remember the three rules of world building, back-up before you start, save early and save often. Here's a link that contains both WfMulti and Worldmaker BUT this RAR file does not contain the updated Worldmaker file from Dekaru. I made this available in a thread elsewhere on the POL forums back in 2007 and I haven't updated the archive. Yeah, I admit I'm lazy.

I hope this helps you.
gotcha2
New User

Post by gotcha2 »

Yukiko wrote:There are a few ways to add items to the static files. I prefer using a map editor like CentrEd or Punt's Worldmaker (updated version). Both of those utilities allow you to edit not only the terrain but also to add items to the game, ie. static items. CentrEd is a client server application. It's designed for collaborate editing whereas Worldmaker is a standalone program. One benefit of using Worldmaker is that you can use the companion application, WfMulti. With it you can create structures, forests, scenery or whatever you like by building them right in the WfMulti editor. I like to think of it as a virtual Ultima Online Lego playground. You can also use WfMulti to import a multi from the client files and edit them if you wish. The things you build in WfMulti can be saved as *.MLT files and those can be imported and placed on a map as static items. You can change the hue of the items as you build. The Worldmaker and WfMulti were originally created by Punt but he has since abandoned them but Dekaru on the RunUO forums has taken up the torch and has updated Worldmaker. Hopefully he'll do the same for WfMulti. I have used all three programs and they all are pretty good considering the fact that they are free but each one has its quirks. SO remember the three rules of world building, back-up before you start, save early and save often. Here's a link that contains both WfMulti and Worldmaker BUT this RAR file does not contain the updated Worldmaker file from Dekaru. I made this available in a thread elsewhere on the POL forums back in 2007 and I haven't updated the archive. Yeah, I admit I'm lazy.

I hope this helps you.
Amazingly helpful, though.. are the statics files the ones that load all of the world "statics"? say I add a few things to the game (new doors / a custom building, that i do not want to be placed (as a multi)).. these are things to go in statics? Will the things be usable? And will updates to the Statics change the minimap?
leracai
New User

Post by leracai »

In working in a program such as CentrED where i do all my building because personally i find building piece by piece makes more character and a lot more of how I or the User would like it to be .

With the files (pick one) Multi , statics0 , staidx , radarcol ect . *

When building with CentrED you are using these files . Now personally i use a Separate folder so its always using a Copy / back up of the original map or a recent back up of my / your custom map.

When your done with centrED (building w/e) you just close the ced server and your client (so you can interact with the files ) and just copy them to your directory , because your using the above *^ centrED has already altered all the files you need and its as simple as dropping it into the clients folder .

Personally i use a hex edited client to read my files as i find having multiple installs of UO causes A LOT of problems *sighs* :whip:

Its very simple to do and if you would like send me a message and ill give you a few details on doing so . to not over write you original OSI files and still work in the same client folder (Causes a lot less hassles :D ) *note This will help greatly for others using other shards too and not break there client , Its really worth it honestly!.

Edit: When adding Door's your going to want to do that In game (you can find the id's for doors and others with UO fiddler or any other Program alike) because adding a static door will not open/close/lock . its just the graphic and is pretty useless if your wanting to get into places hehehe! for example i use .create (ID) in my shard and i'm 100% sure you'll have a .command similar if not the same :cheesy:

Anything else concerning said topic i'm more than glad to help where i can :grouphug:

Best of luck

Leracai :)

*edit - I'm not 100% but i'm Pretty sure your Radarcol.mul is what Generates your map :D
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

say I add a few things to the game (new doors / a custom building, that i do not want to be placed (as a multi)).. these are things to go in statics?
Yes, if you added them in a map editor. If you added them in game they are dynamic unless you use an external program to freeze them to the statics file. There are programs that can take your world items (items.txt) and make them static but I have never used any.
Will the things be usable?
No, static items are not usable.
And will updates to the Statics change the minimap?
Yes, they will. The same is true for multis as well.

When you are editing the map and placing objects on it like a wall, those are added to the statics files for the particular map you are editing. Items that you place as statics are not usable. They cannot have a use script attached to them. They are not movable, deletable or manipulable in any way in game. If they are a light source such as a lit lamppost they will glow and produce the normal light effect when the region light level is dark enough but unlike a dynamic or .created item they cannot be turned off or on by double clicking them. The client will display their name if you single click on a static item. You shouldn't place doors, or any normally usable item, on a map with a map editor (ie. static) unless you want them to be unusable. Items added to a map using a map editor are not part of the multi.mul files.

Multis are similar to statics except for a couple of things. Multis are placed in game, ie. while logged in as a character. Also, some parts of a multi structure are dynamically placed in the world by POL when the multi is created. When you use a house deed and place a multi house it is almost virtually equivalent to a static house in that most of the individual pieces of that multi cannot be manipulated in game. You need to be able to open doors and use a house sign so those have to be dynamically placed. You will notice, if you place a multi, even as a GM you can't .destroy the individual parts of that multi except for the items which are placed as dynamic items. When you place a multi in game the information describing each non-dynamic item (serial, objtype etc.) that make up the multi is saved in the multis.txt file in the \pol\data directory. The information describing each dynamic item needed by a multi is placed in the items.txt file. The doors and other dynamic items that get added after the multi structure is placed can be .destroyed because they are saved as dynamic items. There is a separate command used to destroy multis. On my shard it's .destroymulti. That command removes all items that are associated with that multi including any dynamic items that it required such as doors or signs. Note that it leaves behind any dynamic items a player or GM placed in the multi.

I hope that clarifies the difference between static, multi and dynamic items.
gotcha2
New User

Post by gotcha2 »

So there is no way to have a fully prefabricated, non-multi building? (usable lights, doors included) either through statics, map, or whatever else?

By the way, thank you very much for all of your help.

And to be sure (I haven't had a chance to download any of these tools) when I'm wanting to make (extract?) my multis or statics, am I able to do so in-game? {I make the structure in the game, launch program and am able to extract?}
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Think of it as a hybrid. Static items are called "static" because they are set, immovable, not manipulable and permanent. They serve their function as the "structure" of buildings. Dynamic items are called "dynamic" because they can change, be moved, replaced and manipulated.

If you want to you can build an entire structure, or town, in-game by .creating each board, brick etc. There's no rule saying you can't do it that way. Just keep in mind that if you plan on building a lot of structures using dynamic items your world item count will be very high. The items.txt file where dynamic items are stored is memory resident while POL is running which means, the larger that file the more memory POL needs to hold it. Also, dynamic items have to be sent to the client as they become "visible" in the game window for each client. So a large item count in a particular area will add latency (lag) to the game as POL sends each item number and any properties associated with it (color, CProps etc.) to every client in that area. So if there are a large number of clients logged-in with characters in the same area with the high item count things can get very bogged down. As I recall statics are handled in a different way so the statics count has less effect on memory usage and since statics files are client side POL doesn't have to send the statics items to the client when they become visible in the game window. The client just grabs them from the player's hard drive.

This is how I would build a building in a map editor. I'd create the structure, walls, floor and roof as statics. Maybe place a few decorations in the editor but I actually prefer making the buildings bare and undecorated. Then I'd save the map with statics. Then launch POL. Log-in with the UO client and got to the building and add doors. If I want to add lights I'd do that too or if it's going to be a house that a player will buy I leave lighting and decorating up to the players.

If you're uncomfortable with using a map editor then you can certainly construct buildings in-game as a GM. If you begin encountering lag in the areas with dynamic buildings then you might have to learn to use a map editor.

Does this help clarify the issue?
gotcha2
New User

Post by gotcha2 »

Yeah, I mean I understand the statics and such - just seems kind of odd / perplexing to think every door in the game was added in a separate instance than that in which the map was built.. seems time consuming :/ but to clarify, multis will have working doors because it takes in to account statics and dynamics? Houses you place have doors.. so I figured there had to be a way to do it.

Anyways, I'm going to get the map editor you suggested and check it out.. hopefully it is able to do what I want it to, thank you very much :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Oh... Yeah. I can understand your confusion when you are looking at multis. I guess I missed adding an important thing about the way the multi.mul files seem to be organized. I believe that the items listed in the multi.mul files have a flag which tells the server, in this case POL, to either store a particular item in the multis.txt file, which gives it the appearance of being static in game, or in the items.txt file, which makes it dynamic. I did a search on the Ineterwebs and couldn't find any definitive information on flag data stored in the multi.mul files. Certainly it must be available since POL handles them properly but I couldn't find it. I haven't tried editing multis and saving them back out to see what happens to items that are supposed to be dynamic. I've wanted to add a house sign to the tent multi so they can be made into deeded items. The way tent multis are now there's no way for a player to "Demolish" them because you need a sign to do that.

Anyway, now that you have a better understanding of the subject I should explain one last thing. When you look at some of the buildings in UO you should realize that some of their floors are not made from art tiles but rather land tiles. This means that if you are planning on building your buildings at ground level you may have to do some terrain editing as well. I tried once to create a house and place wooden plank art tiles as the floor and I couldn't get them to appear in game. I had to actually edit the terrain and change the grass terrain to wood planks terrain. I should clarify my terminology here. UO fiddler calls "art" tiles "items" and "terrain" tiles "LandTiles".
gotcha2
New User

Post by gotcha2 »

Yeah I figured it all out, maps done :)
Yukiko
Distro Developer

Post by Yukiko »

Glad to hear it.
gotcha2
New User

Post by gotcha2 »

Thanks again :)